• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Funding:

Open your eyes. Im not scared, Im angry.

Scared people run and hide. Angry folks get what they take.

And I dont really give a **** if others suffer.

Il take and you give. You will be the one that suffers.

Im done getting walked/stomped on.

I will see you on the trails.:beer: I hope.....

It doesn't really matter what happens to me. If things go bad my style of wheelin will change to meet what ever is out there.:beer: May just get to discover lots of old places again.

It doesn't really matter what happens to me. If things go bad my style of wheelin will change to meet what ever is out there.:beer: May just get to discover lots of old places again.

Have you filled out your dispersed recreation application?:redneck: It's due on July 1st.

This spring/summer is going to be builders paradise. The best wheeling will be this summer. And July 1st will come and go with most of us up here not giving a **** because we gave up a loonnggg time ago. Theres good stuff in Whatcom Co, theres good stuff in Skagit Co.

I can't wait to be sipping a beer, camping out July 4th -- looking at the awesome trail system people have with good friends and great memories. :awesomework:

The question is, are you, the reader going to be participating or sitting at home paying fines?

You may want to put more thought into this. I don't know how far they'll take it but there's provisions for agencies to issue fines for resource damage caused by ORV's and it seems they plan to start enforcing this. What's the replacement value of a tree? I don't know but I don't want to be the one to first find out.:corn:

Naww.. I live 45 mins from Fuct, Canuckia 1, Canuckia 2, Canuckia 3, Canuckia 4, Vedder Mtn.... :fawkdancesmiley:

This spring/summer is going to be builders paradise. The best wheeling will be this summer. And July 1st will come and go with most of us up here not giving a **** because we gave up a loonnggg time ago. Theres good stuff in Canada, there is good stuff in Whatcom Co, theres good stuff in Skagit Co.

I can't wait to be sipping a beer, camping out July 4th -- looking at the awesome trail system people have with good friends and great memories. :awesomework:

The question is, are you, the reader going to be participating or sitting at home?

I can tell you I won't be a douche bag out breaking the law and making things worse for us....

I can tell you I won't be a douche bag out breaking the law and making things worse for us....

I find these comments interesting, as this is exactly what was happening in the days of Reiter. It was always against the law to build new trails without DNRs authorization, except it was a traffic infraction instead of a misdemeanor. Nothing in their view has changed.

Not saying that its okay, but it is hypocritical to blast those who are building new trails, when most people on here at some point were doing it themselves. even worse is those who are blasting those for talking about the idea of building trail, then go out and wheel illegally themselves :rolleyes:

Regardless... what I'm saying is not that we should be, or will be doing it (even though we all know the answer to that), rather that it is what is already happening and will only get more intense. Thus we should be working with the DNR to get them to open certain sections up for us instead of expecting all of us to sit at home for the next 5 years waiting for funding.

Those are the choices, you know.... Sit at home for the next 5 years -- bitching and moaning on a forum, or going out and doing what wheelers, motorcycles, mtn bikers, horseback riders, mtn climbers, and hikers have been doing for the last 40 years. While some here might be perfectly willing to sit back, or worse-- willing to turn in their fellow man for things they used to do.. there is a growing group of people who are sick and tired of this funding game.

Its time for an attitude shift. Its time for us to stop playing along with whatever the government says. Its time for us to say 'no'...

Remember the big Reiter meeting with Mark Mauren? We failed as a community there. We bought their bullshit that the place would be open by spring/summer 2010. Hell, I stood up and told people that we should trust DNR and that this would be okay. I feel like we've been betrayed. We were told that funding was 'pretty much there'.. and then we find out that.. opps! nope.

So my question to everyone here is... what are you going to do when our last places close? Stay at home? goto Oregon/Idaho? or figure out plan B?

Last edited:
Also, our little funding package is being opposed by the WTA. This unfortunately takes the odds further away from us :booo:

I find these comments interesting, as this is exactly what was happening in the days of Reiter. It was always against the law to build new trails without DNRs authorization, except it was a traffic infraction instead of a misdemeanor. Nothing in their view has changed.

Not saying that its okay, but it is hypocritical to blast those who are building new trails, when most people on here at some point were doing it themselves. even worse is those who are blasting those for talking about the idea of building trail, then go out and wheel illegally themselves :rolleyes:

Regardless... what I'm saying is not that we should be, or will be doing it (even though we all know the answer to that), rather that it is what is already happening and will only get more intense. Thus we should be working with the DNR to get them to open certain sections up for us instead of expecting all of us to sit at home for the next 5 years waiting for funding.

Those are the choices, you know.... Sit at home for the next 5 years -- bitching and moaning on a forum, or going out and doing what wheelers, motorcycles, mtn bikers, horseback riders, mtn climbers, and hikers have been doing for the last 40 years. While some here might be perfectly willing to sit back, or worse-- willing to turn in their fellow man for things they used to do.. there is a growing group of people who are sick and tired of this funding game.

Its time for an attitude shift. Its time for us to stop playing along with whatever the government says. Its time for us to say 'no'...

Remember the big Reiter meeting with Mark Mauren? We failed as a community there. We bought their bullshit that the place would be open by spring/summer 2010. Hell, I stood up and told people that we should trust DNR and that this would be okay. I feel like we've been betrayed. We were told that funding was 'pretty much there'.. and then we find out that.. opps! nope.

So my question to everyone here is... what are you going to do when our last places close? Stay at home? goto Oregon/Canada/Idaho? or figure out plan B?
My guess is He'll be sitting home for 5 years saying stay strong it will happen some day.

This isn't all true. Many of the trails at Reiter were built with the authorization of the DNR while many were not. Their view has changed in that now the DNR has to go through the proper steps to approve building trails. Back in the day it was a nod and a point "yup you guys can build a trail that way".
I'm not disagreeing with your view points but things have definately changed.

So my question to everyone here is... what are you going to do when our last places close? Stay at home? goto Oregon/Canada/Idaho? or figure out plan B?

Out of state wheeling or out of country wheeling.

Yes the state has screwed us but its the only system we have and we need to work on getting it changed. Its not any different than the court systems. We all know they are not always right but its the only system we have so we we need to work within its bounderies and work on changing it.

As for building new trails at the old reiter it wasn't the trails so much that made a big impact--it was those who didn't stay on those trails that made the big impact.

This isn't all true. Many of the trails at Reiter were built with the authorization of the DNR while many were not. Their view has changed in that now the DNR has to go through the proper steps to approve building trails. Back in the day it was a nod and a point "yup you guys can build a trail that way".
I'm not disagreeing with your view points but things have definately changed.

huh i guess thats news to me, i've never heard of DNR authorizing or approving any trails there, the only ones with a wink and nod were on private land?

I believe Reiter stayed open as long as it did, and we got away with what we did, because of the efforts of volunteer groups, and pressure on the DNR because there were no legitimate places close to Seattle to recreate. If this wasn't the case, they would have closed Reiter down the same time that NF and P5000 were closed. Obviously something was different.

The word I've heard from DNR is 'triage'.... when you have grey area. While they'd love to have an area either closed or turned into a managed park, they recognize neither can happen. If thats the case, then they change tactics and decide to mitigate resource issues until they can put a better plan into action. This is what Reiter was from 2000-2009. This is what NF was for ORVs 1990s-2005 (and Mtn bikers 2009-to now), this is what HO is for horseback, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I think we should rally for Reiter to be re-opened until funding is 'in the bank' and the project is shovel ready. Either that or rally for another area to be our 'grey-triage-area' so we can recreate, while DNR waits to restore funding. I don't think rallying for funding is going to get us very far, and certainly won't get us places to wheel anytime soon.

Or.. there is always Canada. :booo:

As for building new trails at the old reiter it wasn't the trails so much that made a big impact--it was those who didn't stay on those trails that made the big impact.

Wait, so you're implying that old reiter wasn't douchbagery building of trails.... but now it is? You can't have it both ways. The trail building process hasn't changed. The impact hasn't changed. So why has the attitude about it changed? I contend that DNR has ALWAYS had the same view from a policy standpoint... they've just come out and started enforcing it in the last few years. Why? because they started convincing wheelers to join their cause. If there was 200 irate wheelers, with NO ONE supporting the new Reiter at the Reiter meeting, I contend we would still be wheeling there today. But DNR figured out how to split the community, effectively putting their position as the one our community officially supports, green lighting the ability to close reiter down.

Out of state wheeling or out of country wheeling.
Thats fine if you only wheel 3 or 4 times a year. I wheel every weekend, so do many others here. That means we need things within 45-hour away from us. 3-4 hours to Oregon? 6-7 hours to Idaho, 2.5 Hours to canada? pretty hard to do when you're going every weekend.