• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Firing folks

money_pit_yj said:
We did all this firing before year end and as I'm getting ready I'm seeing more and more the manager of this particular shop had no clue what he was doing. It blows my mind how someone can hide their ignorance for so long. The worst part is he is a friend of mine so I can't tell him.

Do you think you are doing him a favor for his future by not discussing this with him?

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

crawlin85cj said:
Do you think you are doing him a favor for his future by not discussing this with him?

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

He knows. I have told him in the heat of an argument he didn't know what he was doing, but his new job really plays to his strengths. I inherited this mess so I'm good with it, he created it so he is beating himself up. He knows everything I would tell him so unless the shortcomings begin affecting his new job I will leave them unspoken. It's hard for a 55 year old guy to listen to a 33 year old "kid". Everybody at work still remembers me when I was fresh out of college and used to come to work hungover smelling like a brewery about 3 days a week and now that I'm upper lower mid level semi management they think I'm just busting their chops for fun. Except three of them, they know I'm serious.

Not every job is for every person.
I took my current position 2.5 years ago and have had to move players to different positions, exit some, hire some fresh blood and do a lot of coaching and leadership development. This plant did a lot of "that guy is a great individual contributor, so he will make a great manager" kind of stuff... Nope that's not always the case (in fact about 50% of the time it isn't), especially if you don't equip the folks with good tools to manage people and/or whatever it is you expect them to manage (finances and how they work seems to stymie a lot of people).

The secret sauce is finding out what they are good at and putting them in positions where they can excel in that...unfortunately sometimes it isn't where they currently are and changes need to take place.
It sounds like you did this with the former manager. Hopefully it works!