• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

First buggy build

drivermod

Been hanging around the site for awhile and figured I should post up a build thread of the buggy I've been working on for the last year. It all started summer of 2011 when I had an opportunity to trade by mildly built TJ for a 90% finished built one-ton CJ.

The TJ
033-2.jpg

The CJ
newjeep1.jpg

The CJ already had Dana 60/70 running gear along with a warmed over 406 sbc/700R4/Atlas 4.3 drivetrain.

I've come to be great friends with Todd Puckett, owner of Shotgun Fab, over the last few years and after trying to follow his buggy around in my TJ, I decided I needed something a bit more hardcore. I planned to link the CJ and stretch the wheelbase but after some thoughtful consideration I convinced myself to sell off most of the CJ and build a tube buggy. Budget is of the utmost concern with 6 young children at home and a single income but Todd graciously offered to let me use his shop and equipment as well as his expertise in the construction. I have never attempted a build of this magnitude so it was a little overwhelming but having helped him on his own projects over the last couple of years, I knew between the two of us it would get done.

Re: First ever buggy build

I was able to sell off most of the parts not needed on the buggy pretty quickly. I picked up a stack of DOM December of 2011 and in two days between Christmas and New Years we had the basic chassis knocked out.

IMG_2487.jpg

I took a few nights over the next couple of weeks to truss the axles and prepare some bracketry so that we could knock out the suspension setup quickly. In late January we took another two days and got the chassis into a rolling form.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

As you can see in the pic I also sold the 39.5 TSL's and scored 5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. Much better all around tire IMHO.

This is where my rookie status kicks in. At this point I thought I was half way done telling people I'd be wheeling by Memorial Day. :dunno: As you'll see, I didn't quite make that timeline. From then on it's been a steady work in progress. I work a compressed work week so I have most Friday's off and have been devoting every Friday for the last year to this build. Between a lack of time and a lack of funds it has taken longer than planned but it's at the point now where I am ready to get it out. Just in time for this years riding season. The next few posts will be a series of build pics.

Checking out the suspension travel
IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

60" under the front and rear tires. I'll have to limit the front travel a bit with the LP 60. 17" shocks weren't necessary but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on them.

IMG_2706.jpg

The wheelbase ended up at 114". Belly at 20" and a roof height of 67".

Next was figuring out placement of some of the interior. I wanted a little extra leverage for shifing the Atlas so I made my own handles. I also machined my own transmission shifter based off of a design a friend of mine uses in his derby car. By inverting the the shift plate on the transmission I reversed the shift pattern and can go from any of the forward gears to reverse by yanking the shifter backwards. I incorporated a lockout pin to keep it from going to park. When you pull the spring loaded pin over you can shift into park and then it locks into the shifter handle keeping it from being knocked out of park inadvertantly. So far I like how it works. We'll see how I like it on the trail.
dash_zps834c3dc5.jpg

Next I mounted the CNC brake master cylinders and pedals. I wanted to keep the reseviors buried under the dash but had to modify the pedal arms so that my knee wasn't in the steering wheel.

cncbrakes_zps526fe0a8.jpg

I then went to the rear and mounted the radiator, trans cooler and finished most of the rear tubing.

radiator_zps4837af31.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the front end. Added a bit more tube to the shock hoops as well as some lights I took off the CJ. Eventually it'll get some HID's or LED's but I was trying to focus on only what I need to get on the trail at this point. I also made my steering links and tied my high steer arms into the factory tie rod location for extra security.
steeringandlights_zpscb5d0456.jpg

A friend of mine, Mike Karwath, returned from the Top Truck Challenge with a set of new 54's. :eek: Think I'll stick with the 40's
54s_zps377046c0.jpg

Before I tore the CJ down I found out the cam was wiped out. The previous owner had installed the Holley Stealth Ram injection on it but wasn't able to get it tuned properly. It was running way too rich washing down the cylider walls and thinnning out the oil which wiped the cam out. Therefore, at this point we tore the engine down. Lightly honed the cylinders, installed new bearings along with a new Lunati cam and lifters. The engine already had a set of Brodix heads along with the injection to round out a nice package. Should make somewhere between 450-500 hp. No pictures, just a standard small block.

Todd came up with the idea to use his upper links to transfer the steering fluid to his ram. The arms not only act as a heat sink but they also act as a reservior adding over a quart of capacity. Using this system on his buggy we haven't even seen a need for a cooler and his steering has been flawless over the last year. He markets them as Hydro-links and we installed a set on my buggy. I really like how clean the install looks.
hydrolink_zpsf5c9f22b.jpg

The next few months involved plumbing, wiring, body panels, seatbelt mounts, floor boards, exhaust work, etc... You know the standard suff I really didn't document with pics. Here it is with side panels on it.
isofront10202012_zpsabf11f57.jpg

I decided I wasn't fond of how the rear tubing ended up. It needed a bit of a "deck lid" so I added a bit more tube. Really like how it turned out.
iso10202012_zpsbe7fc329.jpg

siderear10202012_zps9372ebbc.jpg

I also built a gas tank. Got a sheet of stainless from a friend and bent it up at work. I used Solid Works to design it in an attempt to hit my 15 gallon target. I also built a manifold inside the tank that incorporates 4 Walbro pickups to ensure the engine doesn't starve for fuel.
isorear10202012_zps94559257.jpg

At this point I was able to fire up the buggy and break in the cam. It wouldn't start at first so I called a friend who is very familiar with Holley fuel injection. He came over and immediately found that the tune loaded in the ecu was for a forced induction engine. No wonder the CJ was running rich. ::). We loaded an N/A Holley base tune in it and it fired right up.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Ea8_6RVRXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We then took it outside and cycled the suspension so I could figure out where to mount the carrier bearing in the front 2 piece drive shaft. I had to run a 2 piece because of how low the drivetrain is in the chassis.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d7l09GC_qnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After this I was able to drive it around Todds property a bit. Felt pretty good. Don't have any video, it was dark.

Since then the weather has turned so I've spent my time tying up loose ends. I finished the interior and build the fire walls. I temporarily welded some chain on it for limit straps incase we got a warm weekend. I still need to do some engine tuning but have been putting it off waiting for warmer weather. It hasn't come.
buggyasof12222012_zpsa7f28f58.jpg

Last weekend I installed air bumps and built a little engine protection. This past weekend I painted the chassis and panels. While all my buddies were at the Hog Wild Shootout I was slaving away in the shop :( I was going to wait until I had a few shakedown runs on it but had the time and the weather was still nasty. Glad I did it. Very happy with the outcome.
IMG_20130223_204430_zpsd3111fc1.jpg

IMG_20130223_204403_zps7111a464.jpg

IMG_20130223_204322_zps2ba24ead.jpg

IMG_20130223_204219_zps30c86b9d.jpg

So this is where it stands. I have about 50 full days of work in the build. I still a few more things to install (winch, limit straps, oil accumulator, etc). As soon as I get a fairly warm dry day we'll do some driveablility tuning and then it'll be ready to go.

I know it's a pretty sparse build thread but I haven't been very good at taking pictures throughout. Thanks for checking it out and hope to meet some of you on the trail this season. I have to give a big thanks to Todd of Shotgun Fab for allowing me to take up space in his shop for the last year. His knowledge has also been invaluable and I wouldn't have even attempted this without him to fall back on. I've learned a ton over the last year and can't wait to see what this riding season holds.

I love these little buggies! Two of the brothers to this buggy (I think they're related...) tried Showtime Hill this weekend in Hot Springs. They are so low and stable it's crazy!

The idea of using the links to carry fluid and act as a cooler is pretty neat!

jordan7118 said:
I love these little buggies! Two of the brothers to this buggy (I think they're related...) tried Showtime Hill this weekend in Hot Springs. They are so low and stable it's crazy!

The idea of using the links to carry fluid and act as a cooler is pretty neat!

Yep, Show Stopper and and The Silencer belong to Jason Spegal and Todd Puckett. Both chassis were built about the same time as mine. Low and stable is what we were going for.

Hey bud everything looks good I really like the thinking outside of the box on the hydraulic lines up front you put in the time in effort everything should come out great for you later

The Wagoneer belongs to a good friend of mine. It's in great shape for the year. Getting the transmission rebuild and chucked the Qudratrac transfercase and stuck a NP205 in it's place.

Ordered limit straps and a few other small things to finish the buggy up. Hoping to make it's maiden voyage next Saturday.

Well, planned to get it out for the first time and do some tuning today but we got about 6 inches of snow on Wednsday :mad: and it hasn't completely melted off yet. Just not willing to deal with the sloppy mess that would create. WIll push of tuning for another week. Spring can't come soon enough.

Latest posts