• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Frenchie winching basics 101

Put a heavy duty power shut off switch between the battery and the winch. Heard a story about someone I know while winching out of Your Turn at Harlan had one of his solenoids melt down and the winch wouldn't stop pulling. Luckily they were able to get the hood open and cut the cable.
That story was enough to scare the **** out of me and I installed a switch and leave it in the off position till I need to use the winch.

ForMud said:
Put a heavy duty power shut off switch between the battery and the winch. Heard a story about someone I know while winching out of Your Turn at Harlan had one of his solenoids melt down and the winch wouldn't stop pulling. Luckily they were able to get the hood open and cut the cable.
That story was enough to scare the **** out of me and I installed a switch and leave it in the off position till I need to use the winch.

Similar happened to a friend of mine at GMP. Rig just sitting at camp...they start seeing smoke coming from winch and the winch is in PULL IN mode with the hook up against the fairlead....winch catches fire/melts but they finally get the hood open and pull a battery cable. Brand new Superwinch....never used. Guy runs an alternator shop...so it's not like he hooked something up wrong.

I was helping some friends pull a big was tree stump up over a concrete dock wall and was pulling so hard with my Warn 8000 that the lead battery connector melted. I had it double lined with all my cable out which gives you more power btw and was strapped to a tree. We kept dumping buckets of water on the winch to keep the motor cool but didn't realize how hot the cables were getting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Another thing I've learned about winches is that some of them work against the brake when powering out so freespooling will help make your brake last longer. I know my 9.5Ti and several others I seen had the brakes smoked on them making them hard to control.

If i do put a winch on the buggy it will be from tractor supply. You seem to get as much use out of the cheap ones as you do the high dollar ones! :****:

Yes, but you'll slit your wrist waiting on the Travelers to get moving. Smittybilt XRC 8K for 300 and fa'git'uhh'bout'it.

I've never seen a $1000 winch outperform my $300 one. It may not last 20-30 years, but i'll play those odds.

TSC winches gotta be the ugliest winches I've ever seen. While yer at why don't you swap out tires for some Thornbirds they'll really help accentuate that new winch.

onepieceatatime said:
TSC winches gotta be the ugliest winches I've ever seen. While yer at why don't you swap out tires for some Thornbirds they'll really help accentuate that new winch.

Next you will want me to paint the capped bars on my buggy. :gtfo:

I've had the same Warn X8000i for the last 19 years. I've replaced 2 solenoids in that time and of course I switched to rope probably 9 years ago. The rope I use is from Custom Splice and I've never had an issue from it. I used their fairlead until the last redo on my buggy when I built a fairlead into my front tube work.

Travis...easleycrawler picked up a Smittybilt winch a few years ago for his first winch. It worked good...not great. It was SLOOWWWWW and we all know when our junk is on its lid we want it back on its wheels as quick as we can make happen in a safe manner. Near the end of the time he owned it the solenoid went out also. They use a self contained solenoid pack so running down to Napa for a replacement wasn't in the cards. He sold that winch and picked up a Warn M8000 with synthetic line recently for a great price. That should be the last winch he ever buys...

tonybolton said:
I've never seen a $1000 winch outperform my $300 one.

That's just plain wrong.
And not because you haven't seen, doesn't mean it isn't a thing.

Jus sayin.....you put a good charging system behind something and see what happens. I don't pay for names. Those more expensive winches look nicer, but I don't see my winch when driving so I'm good.

I just figure if we have 3 winches strapped to a 3 wheeled Rockwell rig, all at the same-ish angle.....and I'm having to stop winching randomly to let the other two catch up, I'm pretty confident in my statement. :)

tonybolton said:
Jus sayin.....you put a good charging system behind something and see what happens. I don't pay for names. Those more expensive winches look nicer, but I don't see my winch when driving so I'm good.

I just figure if we have 3 winches strapped to a 3 wheeled Rockwell rig, all at the same-ish angle.....and I'm having to stop winching randomly to let the other two catch up, I'm pretty confident in my statement. :)

I did that 240amp upgrade couldn't believe the speed difference :****:

I think low ball bid 70$ first....then ended up 90$ shipped.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F371806422868

Bebop said:
That's just plain wrong.
And not because you haven't seen, doesn't mean it isn't a thing.
The biggest pos winches i have been around are warns. I had a superwinch that was bullet proof. Best winch i ever owned was a cheap pos chineese knockoff. You couldnt kill it and it pulled quadruple its rating multiple times.

tonybolton said:

You got one of those $1000 alternators tho. Imagine if you had a "real" winch!

If you had a 8274 you could just sling shot your rig up rattle rock like Spider-Man

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not brand loyal....all brands I'd say have a runt in the bunch. You can buy cheap "Kickers" at Wal-Mart and Pep Boys, but the higher end Kickers speakers are great. I just think the Higher end NAME brands take advantage of the name they can put on it in order to sell. Whereas your not so name brands just do the opposite.

Just my ideology. Gets me through the day...