• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HP as LP?

Trailtoy1993

I know you can't just run a low pinion diff flipped over as a high pinion due to oil problems and wrong rotation and ****. But how about running a high pinion on the opposite end as a low pinion? as long as the seals are good would there be any problem? I'm too lazy to go out and move heavy stuff to mess with an axle right now, just hypothetical here..... Oh and I'm talking about a HP60.:D

Or I suppose I could run it as a hp but then rotation is wrong and weak side of the gear.......hmmm....

You know if you used it only on the trail and slow speeds I really dont see the problem in the oil'ing.. On the street or Highway, yeh definately not.

You know if you used it only on the trail and slow speeds I really dont see the problem in the oil'ing.. On the street or Highway, yeh definately not.

It's not the issue of oiling (which shouldn't be an issue anyway going from HP to LP)... It's the issue of the shafts turning the wrong way.

It's not the issue of oiling (which shouldn't be an issue anyway going from HP to LP)... It's the issue of the shafts turning the wrong way.

But if you flip it over and use it in the rear, the shafts will be turning the correct direction.

Eric's right I just wasn't thinking last night.

Hmm....

Crash your rear diff is HP and you havn't had any issues with strength......

Not in 4 years :awesomework: I think I pulled the diff cover off last year to change the gear oil :redneck:

Then again I aint running an 8" diff either :redneck:

But if you flip it over and use it in the rear, the shafts will be turning the correct direction.

WRONG.

Ok picture this. ( going forward) The pinion rotates in a counter clock wise direction, the ring gear is on the left side which will pull down on the ring gear, making the ring gear rotate in a forward direction.

Now when you flip it over, the pinion still rotates CCW, but now the ring gear in on the right side of the pinion, which pushs up on the ring gear making it rotate in a rearward direction, even though the pinion is still turning the same direction.

:eeek: