• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is it worth it , or are forums a dying media ?

Try to update the software, certs and get the boards right or not waste the time and money ?

• YES PLEASE !

Votes: 101 93.5%
  • Not worth the coin and effort

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Everyone already moved on to FB and Insta

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • STFU P

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I think it is a cool place. Where else can a guy with a bible verse in his signature talk with a guy named El Diablo about his favorite essential oil? Facebook, IG and Twitter are all for profit so there has to be advertising and regulations to keep people from getting hurt and leaving. The fact that this is not a money making venture lends itself to be a harsher crowd because people do not have to hold back. All that being said, there are issues that probably need to be addressed, some officially, via moderators and some by members. The common thread of being a regionally focused (for the most part) hobby related forum makes it cool though because we all have a common interest.
I think that the moderators/OGs need to decide if it is the no holds barred OG Hardline where very few things were off limits or if they want to take a kinder gentler approach. I am not advocating for either one, just consistency.

I also think that members need to make sure they are being half way mature grownups and not creating a bunch of drama for the moderators to have to sift through. I would venture to say that most of the threads that have had major conflict, would be handled much differently if we were all face to face around a campfire. The fact is we are all braver, smarter, holier, more capable and bolder behind a keyboard and it exaggerates things because there is no chance of getting punched in the face. I get that everybody is different and that there are probably better ways to do things on a build, but if you wouldn't walk up to someone and say it to their face, then why type it? The other thing members have to do is realize that their opinion is about as important as the other 11,000 members. I get it, not everyone wants to read about Jesus when I decide to type something, and frankly I don't care what kind of craft beer JD is drinking, so I can absolutely guarantee I am not getting my feelings hurt about either one. It is perfectly fine to instigate and poke fun of folks, tell them something is wrong with their build, let them know their price is too high, or give a bad experience with someone and all that other stuff we do here, but I think it needs to be done respectfully or at least with some couth and not like a 17 year old hopped up on preworkout and NOS Energy drinks.

From a functionality standpoint, easier picture loading would be cool and maybe a thumbs up/down type feature so people can agree without much effort.

I agree with the others that keeping this forum going is worth it. Met lots of good people via this site, and know of a handful of internet friends that I would classify as good people, despite not having met in person yet.

If it is a money issue, I am sure we would all pitch in to help with things.

If it is a riding issue (organized/sanctioned Hardline rides) or other rides, I am sure we would all pitch in to help with things.

If it is a Tech thing, I am sure some would contribute more to that area and based on some of the previous posts, sounds like there may be a bit more coming down the line Tech (low-Tech and high-Tech) wise.

Keep the forum please.

IMO, the lack of users is b/c of the poor forum function. Log in issues, picture posting, etc. All having to do with the 1998 platform we are using. Get this thing up to speed!

Forums are THE BEST for tech. Lets keep it alive.

+1 on keeping it alive.

I've met the best people I know through this website.

Going to do my part and post a build update now.

money_pit_yj said:
From a functionality standpoint, easier picture loading would be cool and maybe a thumbs up/down type feature so people can agree without much effort.

The french forum I helped run has a drag and drop function to post pictures. It will resize them automatically to make sure they all look nice in your post.

It also has a "like" type function.

Works great

I loved this forum up until I bought an iPhone 2 years ago and couldn't post unless it was a PC. I went back to android and still have constant issues and have to try 3-4 times before it will work even for a small response. The only advantage forums have to Facebook/Instagram is the ability to search and keep in chronological order.

dwa2469 said:
Man, I heard it will turn you gay also. I also heard, every member that left here, now has n "I LOVE SOROS" bumper sticker now, its pathetic!! :rolf:

I keep trying to post an actual photo of Soros converting another Facebook user below but can't get it to work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oygYahPVMjgEeLjZ6

Re: Re: Is it worth it , or are forums a dying media ?

Sawzall said:
I keep trying to post an actual photo of Soros converting another Facebook user below but can't get it to work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oygYahPVMjgEeLjZ6
Here's your pic bro...

Thanks Tapatalk
27e306ae875cba9a8e806a9b9d40ed77.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The fact that I am too stupid to post pics here hurts my participation alot. I was in on the Gray Rock ride and the Hawk Pride ride (long story there) but recently sold my buggy and bought a one ton CJ. I would like to keep the hobby alive and pass it to my kid and these are some good folks to do that with. Seems everything is going to FB and whatnot. I am on here and a couple of other forums (no FB) but I see them slowly dying. I hit the new posts button everyday here and there is less and less content.

Keep it alive! I get on here daily and really enjoy the tech threads, classifieds and general posts. I know a few people who have went to the darkside and sold their buggies to buy gayzrs so they dont get on here as much anymore.

money_pit_yj said:
I think it is a cool place. Where else can a guy with a bible verse in his signature talk with a guy named El Diablo about his favorite essential oil? Facebook, IG and Twitter are all for profit so there has to be advertising and regulations to keep people from getting hurt and leaving. The fact that this is not a money making venture lends itself to be a harsher crowd because people do not have to hold back. All that being said, there are issues that probably need to be addressed, some officially, via moderators and some by members. The common thread of being a regionally focused (for the most part) hobby related forum makes it cool though because we all have a common interest.
I think that the moderators/OGs need to decide if it is the no holds barred OG Hardline where very few things were off limits or if they want to take a kinder gentler approach. I am not advocating for either one, just consistency.

I also think that members need to make sure they are being half way mature grownups and not creating a bunch of drama for the moderators to have to sift through. I would venture to say that most of the threads that have had major conflict, would be handled much differently if we were all face to face around a campfire. The fact is we are all braver, smarter, holier, more capable and bolder behind a keyboard and it exaggerates things because there is no chance of getting punched in the face. I get that everybody is different and that there are probably better ways to do things on a build, but if you wouldn't walk up to someone and say it to their face, then why type it? The other thing members have to do is realize that their opinion is about as important as the other 11,000 members. I get it, not everyone wants to read about Jesus when I decide to type something, and frankly I don't care what kind of craft beer JD is drinking, so I can absolutely guarantee I am not getting my feelings hurt about either one. It is perfectly fine to instigate and poke fun of folks, tell them something is wrong with their build, let them know their price is too high, or give a bad experience with someone and all that other stuff we do here, but I think it needs to be done respectfully or at least with some couth and not like a 17 year old hopped up on preworkout and NOS Energy drinks.

I couldn't agree more with most everything you've stayed. Well put Dan, thanks man.

Enzo, those types of features and ease of usability is EXACTLY what this forum needs, as stated the software format etc is so out of date that it's barely functioning and basically unsupported and in updated to the point of death because many people myself included are using phones etc to access the forum.

I keep seeing people say i'm on here every day pooping or what ever, but their post count is super low. To keep this place alive we need contribution. Even 1-2 posts a week would be a good jump in content. Ask a question, tell someone something looks good or good job (that helped me a lot when i did my half assed build thread), crack a joke just something to keep it rolling.

Definitely pic posting problems have caused a big decline in participation.
Remember early on all the big fab shops would post their builds start to finish (if it wasn't an undercover build) then get flamed for every weld, tube, node installed. After that they'd only post the pics of the finished rig, which would get flamed about 50% by the guys that only like straight bars. Now they don't post at all on here.
Every post that gets/got ragged by members (whom most of the guilty ones we found out in another post don't even have rigs or wheel!) pushes those folks away and gives others pause to share their work. It's easy to say it's fair game to critique if posted, or someone shouldn't get butthurt or whatever the latest frat-boy phrase is, but the reality is the lack of a welcome place to post was the decline of this forum in my opinion. You never know what others have going on in their personal lives, and don't need any other reason to be brought lower. That seems to have been reined in the last year or two and newer member are posting again.
In the last few years I've built a Harley powered 4x4 street car styled like a 34 Ford Sedan, a full tube chassis RZR buggy, almost finished with a fat tire Harley vrod trike, and about to start a LS/F450 axle swap on a '61 Willys. All things that a bunch would be interested in seeing I'm sure, but the aggravation almost doesn't seem worth it.
After all that I still vote for it to stay. I really love it and have met a ton of great folks. Still the best place to go for good, honest fab work/tech that works.

money_pit_yj said:
I think it is a cool place. Where else can a guy with a bible verse in his signature talk with a guy named El Diablo about his favorite essential oil?

I am kind of fond of rotella oil 15w 40 :flipgotcha:

Yes I am one of the ones who dosen't post as much as other but like everyone has said above this site needs to stay.
I have met and made many friends on here and when my shits not broke I get to ride with them.
Oh and speaking of craft beer you all need to come check out Happy Trails in Sparta TN they have some great beer.

El Diablo said:
I am kind of fond of rotella oil 15w 40 :flipgotcha:

Yes I am one of the ones who dosen't post as much as other but like everyone has said above this site needs to stay.
I have met and made many friends on here and when my shits not broke I get to ride with them.
Oh and speaking of craft beer you all need to come check out Happy Trails in Sparta TN they have some great beer.

No need to get feisty. I was just making a point. I am reporting you to the moderator for hurting my feelings. ;D

Yes forums are a dying media. That doesn't mean this one should shut down.... One thing forums have over FB is a search feature....I spent many hours looking back at old tech on here.
I'm not building or up grading right now, so I haven't been on as much.
being a mostly a regional type form will always keep participation down.....But that's not always a bad thing.

money_pit_yj said:
No need to get feisty. I was just making a point. I am reporting you to the moderator for hurting my feelings. ;D

Dude, it has got to suck living in Sparta now, with GMP closed. It would piss me off every time I rode near there :****:

I think we need to be asking ourselves what we want and then work toward an actual solution. If it's for the 50ish of the regulars to continue bs'ing, twice a year ride, and for us to continue trading parts back and forth with each other, then I think we're ok.

If we want to bring in more traffic and build a new go to forum for all off-roaders, then we need to make some serious changes. While I do think fixing the pic situation in the classifieds will help a little. I don't think that's the solution. Facebook market has pretty much killed all other forms of used individual online sales. I really think some promoting(stickers, koozies) goes a LONG way.

Normally when I'm at a park and I meet someone, eventually I ask if they are on Hardline. And I'd say 70% say "I don't know what that is" or "is that the Facebook group?"

But again, this comes down to what the end goal is.