• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lower kingpin bearing race

hokie_yj

So this little rig I just bought is quickly turning into a headache. What started as replacing a stuck caliper has turned into pretty much having to rebuild the whole front end. Once I jacked it up I found that the lower kingpin bearing was pretty much non-existent on the driver's side. I got it tore apart but I can't get the race out of the bottom of the C. I tried using a big drift punch from the top but all I did was destroy the dust cap, the race didn't move. I found a few posts where people have had success welding on the race and then letting it cool and then knocking it out. Anybody ever tried that? Or know any other tricks.

I've ordered all the parts to fix it. The other side still feels ok, but it looks like the seal is shot so I may just tear it apart too. I went ahead and sprung for the spring eliminators and bronze bushings too. The nylon bushing was also broken.

So much for buying a rig that was ready to go wheeling. Oh well, it's always something. :-\

I just use a punch from the top. Destroy the dust cap and you can place the punch on the edge of the race. Alternate ends and out it comes.

Rokcrler said:
I just use a punch from the top. Destroy the dust cap and you can place the punch on the edge of the race. Alternate ends and out it comes.

Well drive up here to TN and knock this bitch out for me then. ;) I did exactly that. I beat on it for close to an hour and it never budged.

laughing1

I went back out there in my damn shorts and flip flops because I thought maybe I was just a puss and couldn't knock it loose. I got out the 4lb sledge and the biggest chisel I had and beat on it for 15 minutes. It finally moved. About 1/32". :****:

Re:

I had the same problem and someone told me the welding trick. Ran a bead around it and it came out first smack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hokie_yj said:
laughing1

I went back out there in my damn shorts and flip flops because I thought maybe I was just a puss and couldn't knock it loose. I got out the 4lb sledge and the biggest chisel I had and beat on it for 15 minutes. It finally moved. About 1/32". :****:

I figured you were just hitting it with your purse :fish:

I finally got a chance to get back in the shop today. I put a few short beads on it then cooled it with a wet rag. Just a few hits it popped right out. Thanks for the advice guys.

I was still wishing muddinmetal would have came up and squeezed it out with his bare hands though. Lol

Re:

He may have broken the c off. I heard he could squeeze a man's head off his shoulders.

I learned the weld trick on ATVs, done forgot it till I read it here. Glad you got it out.