• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Olde School

maxx

So I have a 1987 GMC V3500, 4 door long bed. It has a TBI 350/th400/205, 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front.

I am currently running stock suspension which is pretty darn sagged in the front, h2 wheels with 315/70/17's. I don't have a tach on it but it's pretty much wrapped out going 60 down the freeway.

I've considered a few things, interested on some input.

swap in a 700r4 to give me an overdrive. I know I would lose a ton of strength and simplicity, but they're a dime a dozen.

doing a small lift and hunting down some h1's with 37's on them.

maybe a combination of both? what would you do if it was yours? has anybody done anything similar?

If you want to go through the trouble of a tranny swap, why not put in a decent transmission like a 4L80?

There are quite a few problems with doing that. I believe a 700r4 is a fairly straight forward swap.

a 4l80e would require something to control it which is not jeep, drivelines will be different lengths, and trannys are much more expensive.

This is the POS in question

457325_10150977685991745_4101631_o.jpg

Last edited:
I would rattle can it flat black, put a HUGE monster sticker in the back window and drive like it sits until the wheels fall off. Then I would part it out.

I would rattle can it flat black, put a HUGE monster sticker in the back window and drive like it sits until the wheels fall off. Then I would part it out.

Hahaha, Have to wear an Affliction shirt and white threaded jeans with flapped pockets then too!!!:masturbanana[1]:

Hey, speaking of old crewcab chevys,
What happened to that really nice Rootbeer brown 86 that Odie sold to some kid on here...???

I have an '83 of that same make with an efi 454, sm 465. You can always regear. I wouldn't weaken it with a 700r4. You have a 1 ton truck, don't ruin it.

Hey, speaking of old crewcab chevys,
What happened to that really nice Rootbeer brown 86 that Odie sold to some kid on here...???

I'm pretty sure it ended up somewhere here in bonney lake. I see it nearly every morning on the way to work. Has a 4x4network.com sticker on the headache rack. Looks a little lower on 35-37s.

My father in law has a Chevy version of this truck and it is a awesome truck other than the doors rusting away. He uses it around the farm to make dump runs and trips to the hardware store.

The other day he mentioned that he will retire it soon because the engine is getting weak. It has a stock PTO winch on it and do you think it's worth grabbing before he retires it?

Latest posts