• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinion's please...

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
Ok I finally have got a oil pan skid plate for my joop. I think its a rock stomper one or something, but its a glue on one. :rolleyes: I'm not to thrilled about the glue on, so my idea was just to weld it to the oil pan. My fear is that if I land on a rock hard enough it's kinda cave in the sides of the oil pan. (Not good IMO) . Or I could weld on some brackets to mount it to the block, but then it wont be as secure as welding to the oil pan.

So opinions please....

Where does it attach in the front? I have the WARN TJ oil pan skid plate. To install it, you install a new "cross member" in front of the exhaust and the plate attaches to the belly pan in the rear.

If yours attaches soley to the Oil pan, where is the support? I would weld it on, if that is the only attachment. It would provide strength, but why not just make your own?

4.0L oil pans are cheap and easy to find anyway.

grab a junkyard pan and weld it on and then weld a couple of straps that run up the side close to the pan edge for support. If the bottom does not bend then all the force is transmitted up the whole pan and it is very unlikely that it would collapse.

I haven't directly seen it, but have heard of several lick and sticks taking hard hits too. If you want, I'll weld her on for you, but I'd leave it stickied until you've proven to yourself that you don't like it. If we weld it, and it tears off, you'll take out the motor with the catastrophic oil loss. But if you stickie it, and it tears off, no biggie. T.

well this is the same oil pan thats been crushed in several times and hammered out several times. I'll have to take apic of the skid, to explain how it protects the pan. But it has side protection,which is where I was thinking of welding it to the pan. I'm going to have to notche out a hole for the drain plug, no biggie.

I have the 4.2 block. Which is kinda hard to find oil pans for it, Unless I buy a new one. What I dont want to happen is I just glue it on is, what if I'm driving down the road and the fawker fall's off and goes through some old ladies windshield and lands in her forehead. Just looking out for a future lawsuit from grand kids.

I have a welder so it's something that would be pretty easy to do. Just run a bead along the top of the skid.

here's how the pan looks now.

oilpan5zn.jpg

Avanteone said:
Just run some self-tapping screws into the bottom of the pan :flipoff: haha

I'll remember that the next time someone ask's me how the quality of your work is. :flipoff:

Jon,
Biggest concern is that the stickie surface must be flat (and clean) and yours don't have many flat spots left. With that in mind, welding doesn't sound so bad. Have you thought about a wrecking yard pan to install the shield?
T
edit - new pans are $130

TreeClimber said:
Jon,
Biggest concern is that the stickie surface must be flat (and clean) and yours don't have many flat spots left. With that in mind, welding doesn't sound so bad. Have you thought about a wrecking yard pan to install the shield?
T
edit - new pans are $130

X2

I dont see it sticking to whats left of your pan!

well the sides of the pan are kinda flat. :redneck: The skid plate goes about 3/4's the way up the sides.

None of the Junk yards have any. I just called all the local ones. I think I might just weld it. Put it on nice and tight and weld the top of the side protection. Dont really feel like Spending $130 for a pan when the old one still works.

JOOP said:
I have a welder so it's something that would be pretty easy to do. Just run a bead along the top of the skid.
oilpan5zn.jpg

Not my business to say, as I'm a worse welder than most here... but I'd stitch weld it or spot weld it.

I worry that a complete bead along the top would weaken the sheet metal along the heat effected zone. Especially since the skid has got to be much heavier material than the pan.

T

I would fab a skid plate for the entire running gear (Engine, trans, and T/C) and mout it to rhe fame rails? JMO

Is it formed to the bottom of a pan that's not already caved in?

Avanteone said:
I've got a factory YJ pan here /w the welded on skid plate in good shape :)

Don't let the front D-shaft get into it...Seen it before. Spent 2½ hours at Lillypond welding the holes shut.