• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinion's please...

Velco.. that should hold her :flipoff:

Really judging by that beat up pan, I would just weld the piss out of it. if you stitch it you may rip a stitch out.. I think weaking the sheet metal is the least of your worries clean it up and put some low heat welds around it...

Jon

Avanteone said:
It's off a 4.2. I'm pretty sure they're all the same though. The gaskets are all the same.

J

I thought that they were the same also. But the part numbers for replacements pans are different. Both engine blocks are similar in design, both have the same crank to flywheel bolt pattern, both blocks have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, etc.... But the oil pans use a different part number and I don't know why.

JON, if'n you're listening, buy his 4.2 used pan for cheap$ and use it for the skid plate. :cool:

buy some 1/4" plate & bend it in a -U- shape that will bolt into the bottom of the block / oil pan & wrap down & around the pan...

or build a cross / brace outta 3/16th's that comes off the frame & lays under the pan from side to side... you got a welder? fab something... be creative.

The oil pans themselves are different from XJ to YJ, wasn't aware of the 4.2 to 4.0 difference in YJ's. XJ is a rear sump. YJ is kind of a center sump for exhaust clearance.

J

TreeClimber said:
I thought that they were the same also. But the part numbers for replacements pans are different. Both engine blocks are similar in design, both have the same crank to flywheel bolt pattern, both blocks have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, etc.... But the oil pans use a different part number and I don't know why.

JON, if'n you're listening, buy his 4.2 used pan for cheap$ and use it for the skid plate. :cool:

here's a pic of the oil pan just sitting on there. The red lines show where I was thinking baout laying a bead and where I am going to notch it out.

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 84
I've looked at nTH mobility skids. Here's my concern about that one.

it bolts to the bell housing of the Tranny. So if you hit something hard enough, that bell housing could crack. Then your really fawked. How much is a new bell house??

Besides mine was damn near Free. I cant beat that. A little work helping a 4x4 shop move is all this cost me.

weld it and pray, or pony up and get a full engine/transmission skid like from jeep medic or skid row

Welded it, just waiting for the RTV to dry on the gasket. I think it'll do fine. I ended up welding it down the sides. Hope to god the exhuast still fits. :redneck:

KarlVP said:
Did you make a hole for the drain plug or was it already there?

I notched one out with the angle grinder. now I'm picking metal shaving booger's.. Ummmm Yummy. :puke: