• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powerstroke!

I recently installed a full turboback AFE exhaust and I cannot begin to explain the difference in power and driveability. I did the the DIY intake with the Napa filter and that alone was not a very noticeable difference.

FYI, if you end up buying an AFE exhaust kit beware that they sell Automatic and Manual transmission specific kits. Clearencing the body for the downpipe is super easy, I did mine with a scissor jack.

I have a 96 just like yours and i installed the 10k today and there is definitly a difference. Doesnt quite roll coll or anything but it does get up and go better.

Anybody know what causes hard hot start problems on these? It better not be the HPOP. :mad:

Sept 27th. I'd better see you over here for the pooperstroke get together. You will have your LONG list of powerstroke problems, answered :fawkdancesmiley: .

And besides, if it's your HPOP. It's just telling you it's time for an upgrade :redneck: .

Get a hold of me if you'd be interested in the get together though, fun times :awesomework:

mine does the same thing every once in awhile, try cycling your glow plugs a couple of times before you start it, if that helps then chances are its the plugs

mine does the same thing every once in awhile, try cycling your glow plugs a couple of times before you start it, if that helps then chances are its the plugs

If it's a HOT start problem, it's NOT the glow plugs...above a certain temp, the GPR doesn't even come on...:rolleyes:

the glowplugs don't activate above ~65*...unless your air temp sensor aint' quite working correctly and yours is probably hanging somewhere on the fender if its got an open element intake on it.

Get your butt on over to nwforddiesels forum and post up your hot start prob.

btw, the 10k was a decent help, so was the IDM so my injectors get the full 130volts, so was the intake, the chip, the fuel pressure mod didn[t seem to make any diff, the exhaust helped too.
HOWEVER, bigger injectors will make the biggest difference. There are some DIY ones out there that are affordable. HOWEVER, you'll also need an intercooler, tranny and/or clutch (single mass flywheel), and especially gauges. Probably a bigger turbo to go with the bigger injectors. If you want lots of cheap power and a better motor get a cummins. If you want a nicer truck then stick with what you got and do some modest mods. If you go nuts with a PSD it just aint worth it compared to a 6bt.

As in, cranks a long time before starting, or what?

Cranks, starts, dies, then cranks and cranks and will eventually fire. Sometimes it seems like it starts but something's off and the injectors are firing strange kind of a hissing noise, it's hard to describe. Maybe I can record it or something.

Sept 27th. I'd better see you over here for the pooperstroke get together. You will have your LONG list of powerstroke problems, answered :fawkdancesmiley: .

And besides, if it's your HPOP. It's just telling you it's time for an upgrade :redneck: .

Get a hold of me if you'd be interested in the get together though, fun times :awesomework:

Color me intrigued and please send more details. :awesomework:

Definitely not the plugs. It starts reliably every time when it's cold, just kind of hard to start after I've driven it and let it sit for a few minutes.

the glowplugs don't activate above ~65*...unless your air temp sensor aint' quite working correctly and yours is probably hanging somewhere on the fender if its got an open element intake on it.

Get your butt on over to nwforddiesels forum and post up your hot start prob.

btw, the 10k was a decent help, so was the IDM so my injectors get the full 130volts, so was the intake, the chip, the fuel pressure mod didn[t seem to make any diff, the exhaust helped too.
HOWEVER, bigger injectors will make the biggest difference. There are some DIY ones out there that are affordable. HOWEVER, you'll also need an intercooler, tranny and/or clutch (single mass flywheel), and especially gauges. Probably a bigger turbo to go with the bigger injectors. If you want lots of cheap power and a better motor get a cummins. If you want a nicer truck then stick with what you got and do some modest mods. If you go nuts with a PSD it just aint worth it compared to a 6bt.

Everything is all stock, including the air box. What's this "IDM" you speak of? I plan on doing the intake, exhaust, 10k mod of course, but I'm probably not going to go as far as replacing injectors (well not yet anyway). Intercooler may be in the future, but really I'm not planning on getting too wild with this truck (well not yet anyway). Clutch is still good, so I won't replace it until it goes out (well not yet anyway, unless I blow it up hot rodding it).

I did the cummins thing for a while, so I know where I'm at as far as capability and performance goes. Just want something reliable for right now that will tow my rig better than a tired old gasser.

Damn, a lot of "not yet anyway's" in that post. :haha:

Cranks, starts, dies, then cranks and cranks and will eventually fire. Sometimes it seems like it starts but something's off and the injectors are firing strange kind of a hissing noise, it's hard to describe. Maybe I can record it or something.
:

Sounds almost like the HPOP oil resivoir is draining back into the crankcase...When it gives you fits again, don't keep cranking it! Pop the hood, and right in the front of the engine on top under the cover should be a small (5mm I think) allen head plug---pop it loose and take it out(Don't Drop this plug!!!)--look down into the resivoir, if the oil level's not within .5" of the top where your lookin into, that's what's goin on...See, the Hi psi oil system is there to ramp up fuel psi in the injectors--when the resivoir drains out, it essentially starves the injectors of oil, causing them not to fire until, after cranking engine to refill the resivoir, they get the oil they need to ramp the fuel psi enough to fire the injectors again...
There's also a ton of info here regarding all Diesels...
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php?

Last edited:

Color me intrigued and please send more details. :awesomework:

Definitely not the plugs. It starts reliably every time when it's cold, just kind of hard to start after I've driven it and let it sit for a few minutes.

Everything is all stock, including the air box. What's this "IDM" you speak of? I plan on doing the intake, exhaust, 10k mod of course, but I'm probably not going to go as far as replacing injectors (well not yet anyway). Intercooler may be in the future, but really I'm not planning on getting too wild with this truck (well not yet anyway). Clutch is still good, so I won't replace it until it goes out (well not yet anyway, unless I blow it up hot rodding it).

IDM is the injector driver module. Looks like the computer and sits right next to it. It gives the electronic pulses to the injectors at voltages between 90ish and 130sish volts. The more volts the better the power. Older rigs had lower voltage so people started swapping a resister in there to get the higher voltage. Fordforgotten has it on his website about how to do it...if ya show up for a techday (theres one soon) he might even do it for ya. Ford finally figured it out and put in the higher voltage ones later. It made a noticeable difference in mine...about as much as the 10k.

The dual mass flywheel is ok until it basically explodes on ya. The single mas flywheel LUK clutch seems pretty popular. I think ford tried to soften the clutch with some flex in it and it shortens the life of it. The stock 5spd works pretty good though.

Last edited:
You might want to call Ford and verify the recall has been done or at least eligible for it.
the recall that I know of is for the CPS. makes the truck hiccup or stall at any time. Just had mine done. Shouldn't only make a diff on hot startups but it'd be worth a try.

ps CPS=Cam Position Sensor...and it fixed my hiccup dying prob that had started lately. I've carried a spare with me for several years...was nice to get a free one though.