• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SAS.....clunk...bang....

After seeing its all new running gear up front I'd be leaning towards something not part of the suspension. I'd check both motor mounts first then I'd check body mounts

Can you feel the clunk through the steering wheel?

Nope

After seeing its all new running gear up front I'd be leaning towards something not part of the suspension. I'd check both motor mounts first then I'd check body mounts

That's kinda what I'm thinking now. I looked over the motor mounts but didn't put a wrench to them. I'll check the body mounts too. I did look over the tranny mounting and it's good

No. I've torqued them down with a four foot breaker bar.

Could it be possible that it's just the spring pack unloading?

Soooooooo....I went thru and found all my body mounts loose.....!

Tightened them up and guess what???

Nope. Still have noise. Lol. Also, because I've taken a few springs out of each pack I went ahead and made some Teflon blocks to fill in the gaps and keep some tension on the leafs. Still have noise.

I can feel it thru the floor boards at times as well. Also, there's no interference between the alternator and steering shaft.

Last edited:
Id say start it up put it in gear keep your foot on the brake and flex the engine mounts foward for drivers side reverse for passanger side. You might need to give it some gas and alot of clutch but thats the easyest way to test them. It helps to have some one standing to the side of the rig to see if the engine is moving

Can you describe the noise better. So far is sounds like when you turn either direction from straight you hear a clunk clunk and can feel mechanical energy transferred through the body at the floor board.

Is it always two clunks? Does the time interval between clunks change depending on how fast you steer? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Is it worse when turning from left to right or right to left or the same when turning either way from straight? Does the condition change if under braking or accelerating while turning? At what point in the turn do you hear the noise? How far do you have to turn the wheel before you hear it? Sounds like you said it's more related to body roll rather than the position of the wheel but more info would help.

Can you describe the noise better. So far is sounds like when you turn either direction from straight you hear a clunk clunk and can feel mechanical energy transferred through the body at the floor board.

Is it always two clunks? Does the time interval between clunks change depending on how fast you steer? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Is it worse when turning from left to right or right to left or the same when turning either way from straight? Does the condition change if under braking or accelerating while turning? At what point in the turn do you hear the noise? How far do you have to turn the wheel before you hear it? Sounds like you said it's more related to body roll rather than the position of the wheel but more info would help.

Not always two clunks. Can be many or just one.
At any turn speed. Some times during a normal turn it's quiet. More often than not, it makes the clunk.
I have not felt it in the steering wheel only one in a while in the floor board.
It's the same from left to right.
Braking or accelerating doesnt change it either way. Meaning, it doesn't happen if I brake or if I floor it.
Noise happens as soon as I turn the truck. If I'm going straight ahead into whoops or unload the suspension like jumping it I don't get any noise.

I'll need a go pro or tape my phone to the chassis to record it lol

You did the SAS and then then started hearing the noise. Did you do anything else at the same time. Possibly rear lift, locker anything else? The front end work looks clean.

From your description it sounds like a pretty significant interference and since you cant feel it in the wheel, had no driveline, hubs unlocked, it's hard to imagine it being anything between the wheel and the front tires.

Long shot could the frame and body be flexing causing the radiator fan blades to contact something?

just the SAS at the time. I had an efan and then when back to a clutch fan. Noise either way but I'll look again. It's definitely a metal sound though

Just looked at the bumber on and off pic's and it looks possibly like the bumper could be coming in contact with the core support on the passangerside above the bolting location and depending on how its atached that could be a likely place to inspect

Not always two clunks. Can be many or just one.
At any turn speed. Some times during a normal turn it's quiet. More often than not, it makes the clunk.
I have not felt it in the steering wheel only one in a while in the floor board.
It's the same from left to right.
Braking or accelerating doesnt change it either way. Meaning, it doesn't happen if I brake or if I floor it.
Noise happens as soon as I turn the truck. If I'm going straight ahead into whoops or unload the suspension like jumping it I don't get any noise.

I'll need a go pro or tape my phone to the chassis to record it lol

Bring your junk over. I don't have a Go Pro but I have a camera that is water, dust, and drop proof. Better than buying a Go Pro or taping your phone to the bottom of your truck. I am home for the day.