• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SB5800 Allows Street Plating "Converted" Dirtbikes

84Toyota4x4

This was mentioned in another thread a while back, but I think this is pretty cool. As of 1/12/12, SB5800 went into effect which allows the plating of dirtbikes following an inspection at an approved facility (NOT the WSP) such as a repair shop or dealer.

From what I know, there is a $100 fee for the inspection pass or fail (so make sure you pass), but you can then get plates. So if you have an older XR250 with headlight, brake light, speedo, etc like I do where you just basically just need mirrors, turn signals, horn, you might be able to get some street plates pretty easy. Otherwise, you need to get all the proper equipment for the inspection.

One of the downsides I have read online is that supposedly they are requiring ORV tags as well so you must pay both, but I don't think that's a HUGE downside. Also mentioned was the fact that they will now have everyone's street plated bikes in a big database and know right where to go if they ever wanted to revoke them all again down the road.

This was brought to light to me again recently by a friend who, a few days ago, finally got a letter from the DOT about his wife's TTR250 (transferred in from Idaho with street plates) that its plate was being revoked, but he could have it re-inspected and plated.

I personally like this because one of the reasons I was looking into getting a dual sport was simply because if I was off riding in the woods somewhere, I liked the idea of being able to shoot down the road to get to a new trail, or use forest service roads (or the like) that require street plates. It might also drop the premium people have on used dual sports since you can now street plate the dirt version of the same bike.

What do you think about it? Below is a link to the bill:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/5800-S.PL.pdf

~T.J.

Last edited:
Depending on whether the business doing the inspection follows the letter of the law or not, your older bike will not meet the requirements.

DO NOT go just by the DoL website, that is merely poorly written guidance.

The real requirements are codifed within RCW46.61.705

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.705

Thanks for the link. I was looking through the bill itself which lists all the revisions to the RCWs currently in effect as well as new RCWs, but I only skimmed it.

EDIT: I don't see why it wouldn't? All it needs is a horn, some LED turn signals, and a longer fender. It already has fold away mirrors on it, a head light, tail/brake light, reflectors, etc. Am I missing something else? It already has "dual sport" tires with DOT stamped in them too. I'm not saying it would pass "as is", I'm just saying I already have a good 80% of the requirements down so its easier than starting with say, a CRF with nothing on it.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I was looking through the bill itself which lists all the revisions to the RCWs currently in effect as well as new RCWs, but I only skimmed it.

EDIT: I don't see why it wouldn't? All it needs is a horn, some LED turn signals, and a longer fender. It already has fold away mirrors on it, a head light, tail/brake light, reflectors, etc. Am I missing something else? It already has "dual sport" tires with DOT stamped in them too. I'm not saying it would pass "as is", I'm just saying I already have a good 80% of the requirements down so its easier than starting with say, a CRF with nothing on it.

~T.J.

Little things, if tested might get you in a pinch.

Example: can the turn signals on a 20 year old XR been seen in daylight from 500 feet?

Really, you don't need turn signals. Using hand signals is just as good.
I get what you're saying about the small things though.

Little things, if tested might get you in a pinch.

Example: can the turn signals on a 20 year old XR been seen in daylight from 500 feet?
It doesn't have turn signals, so they would be brand new (and most likely LED), but it does have an LED bulb in the tail/brake light already. It also has a stator mod for a brighter headlight as I recall. Being a dirt bike and not a true dual sport it needed any help it could get to keep the power levels up. Not to mention the turn signals on my 20 year old truck are still doing fine, haha.

FWIW, not even State Patrol actually checked luminosity of the bulbs, or visibility distance, when my Dad and I licensed a "custom built" car which had to meet the same criteria. Nor did they measure headlight height or anything else, just made sure they were there and worked. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that any motorcycle dealer setup to do these inspections would measure out 500 feet across their parking lot to verify visibility (if they had that much room, thats over 150 yards), or have a special tool to do so. Same with exhaust noise level, I would be willing to bet it will be "common sense" lights and noise levels.

I do agree though that you should make 100% sure, down to the minute detail, that whatever you take in to be inspected would be ready to go.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Therefore, I find it hard to believe that any motorcycle dealer setup to do these inspections would measure out 500 feet across their parking lot to verify visibility (if they had that much room, thats over 150 yards), or have a special tool to do so.

Totally agree.

But they do have to sign a form that says that they confirmed that your bike conformed to those laws.

If they chose to sign that kind of statement without being able to prove it, that is up to them, but that's an iffy game for most legit businesses.

That is absolutely true. I honestly hope they don't pass some of the stuff out there. Tose flush mount LED signals you can barely see for isntance, I hate that crap. I buy bright colored gear, reflectors, make my lights brighter, etc. I rewired the signals on my CBR to be running lights also because the PO had wired them not to be. I WANT to be seen on my bike.

~T.J.

Plated!

DSC00112s.jpg

DSC00117s.jpg

Very nice! Were those the tires on it when you had it inspected? Fender too? The way it's written it sounds like you need different tires and longer fenders and such. It would save a lot of work if you slid it by just like that!

~T.J.

EDIT: This is from the bill in the link from the first post, and why I asked:

(K) Fenders adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water, rocks, or mud from the roadway. Fenders must be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least half way to the center of the axle.

Last edited:
Very nice! Were those the tires on it when you had it inspected? Fender too? The way it's written it sounds like you need different tires and longer fenders and such. It would save a lot of work if you slid it by just like that!

~T.J.

EDIT: This is from the bill in the link from the first post, and why I asked:

The Dunlop 606's are DOT and were used for the inspection.
Cannot comment on the fenders.

Even from the factory bikes don't have fenders that do that. I've owned two EXC's and a friend has a 950 super enduro. All street legal, rear fenders look like a MX bike.

Even from the factory bikes don't have fenders that do that. I've owned two EXC's and a friend has a 950 super enduro. All street legal, rear fenders look like a MX bike.

The requirements to get a RCW46.61.705 conversion are different from the rules to be street legal.