• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

seat belts

Well. Bout right. I have 4 pt and cam lock. Figures. Dammit. I need that 5th pt :****:
Them shoulder straps fuk me up. I ain't gonna lie I wear lap belt just going slow, on a main trail. **** rubs me raw if it's loose and tight I can't move my dam neck... May look into other belts. Or some dam pads one.

Does anyone here run 5 point with a harness bar and stock high back jeep seats? I've been running a lap belt for years because the stock YJ belts lock up at the worst time getting out and back in. Been thinking about 5 points for a while and ready to just do it.
Do I need aftermarket seats or will it be fine.

kushKrawlin said:
Well. Bout right. I have 4 pt and cam lock. Figures. Dammit. I need that 5th pt :****:
Them shoulder straps fuk me up. I ain't gonna lie I wear lap belt just going slow, on a main trail. **** rubs me raw if it's loose and tight I can't move my dam neck... May look into other belts. Or some dam pads one.

My shoulder belts used to rub me bad too. Got these pads and no more problems with that.

http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/rjs-11001201/overview/

I recently put 4 point Pro Armor harnesses in my Jeep. Seems like the lap belt rides high even though they are through the slots in my Corbeau seats. I think I'm going to order the 5th point to help this out.

tyleecw said:
Does anyone here run 5 point with a harness bar and stock high back jeep seats? I've been running a lap belt for years because the stock YJ belts lock up at the worst time getting out and back in. Been thinking about 5 points for a while and ready to just do it.
Do I need aftermarket seats or will it be fine.

I ran 4 points in my tj with stock seats and couldn't wear the shoulders. The way the seats were it pulled them off if I tried to snug them up. Now I have some hunsaker seats I picked up cheap and good prp belts and haven't looked back.

I wondered about that. Reckon it would still do that in there where keepers on the harness bar?

Re:

Here's how a friend cut his factory seats to accept harnesses:

Since i didn't like the harness seats i had installed I sold them and decided to just cut slots in my comfy stock seats.

As usual, i started with the pass side seat. I pulled the cover off the back portion of the seat to expose the foam. Then i sat in the seat and marked over my shoulder where i wanted the straps to go thru.

seats001.jpg

centered up everything and figured out how much foam to cut out. marked it and went to it with the razor blade.

seats002.jpg

Then i drilled small holes in all 4 corners of each hole so i would know where to cut on the back side. once i had the holes there i marked the foam on the back and cut the foam there.

seats003.jpg

then i cut a big hoop around the perimiter of the foam so i could pull it back and expose the whole metal back.

seats006.jpg

I figured this would make cutting the metal easier and i'll just glue the foam back when i'm done. You can see the red lines are where the foam is cut and the black lines are where i'm going to cut the metal. I'm making the holes in the metal slightly bigger and will cover the cut edges with some plastic trim pieces (like what you see people puting around thier doors...but not the chrome stuff) ;)

this is as far as i got today. tomorow if i have time i'll cut them out and try to put it all back together. once i get the covers put back on i'll feel for the holes, cut a slit in the fabric and sew them up so they don't rip. I might even get real fancy and sew a sleeve thru the hole.

On PRP, they will sew the shoulder to the lap if you want the sides joined. All teh bigger belts have the 5th point included. Good just to have. I like the shoulder adjusters on PRP. They actually work as long as you use them. Should loosen your shoulders every time you get out so when you get back in, you can take any slack out of the lap then tighten shoulders as you go to comfort. EZ adjusters on PRP makes it one handed and quick.

I like the ideal of the shoulders tied into the lap belt. Anyone else run a set like that?
Pros and cons of this set up?

Eddyj said:
I like the ideal of the shoulders tied into the lap belt. Anyone else run a set like that?
Pros and cons of this set up?
I HATE the sternum strap that belts come with, one more thing to get out of in a panic situation .
Pros of sewn shoulders: Easy to get on, you can lap only to get off the trailer and crane your neck around, then slip shoulders around and tighten without ever unclicking.
Cons to sewn: you pop the lever and they don't fly off of you. You have to get your arms out of them in a panic situation. Most racing bodies don't allow them for this reason. Depends on your chances of catching on fire.