• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Street legal

MUDDR31

What has to be on your truck to make it street legal like do they check your beadlocks is their a certian height rule etc. im just trying to see what i can do to my sami......or as far as i can go before i get pulled over

Try searching, there are threads AND the specific RCW's out there.

Following the actual RCW's is a bitch for a 4x4 that is modified enough to perform well off road.

Make sure it doesn't look like a total **** box.
Keep it Clean.
Headlights, brake-lights, blinkers all present, functional and not overly obnoxious that would bring attention to you.
Current tabs and visible plates.
Bumpers.
Mud Flaps.
Flares if the tires stick out more than a little.
Don't drive like an idiot.
Don't LOOK like an idiot.
________
Medical Marijuana Suite A In Laguna Niguel

Last edited:
Depends on where you live I think...

I have been driving my Runner for about a year pretty regularly on the road w/ no mud flaps, no front plate, no speedo, and no front blinkers and have not even been pulled over.

BUT, it is camo, so maybe the po po dont even see me :beer: :beer:

Maybe if you live in a bigger town than I do...

W/ all the "street lock" wheels running around, any cop that can tell the difference while you are driving by has an above average po po education :awesomework:

:haha: street locks suck so i dont think the cops would say anything about beadlocks cause they wouldnt know the diference:haha:

It really depend`s on the cop. But i agree keep it clean and make sure everything work`s. My 4runner is a little ruff at the moment, it caused me too be stereo type`d and a cop flip a u`ee to pull me over. All he could pull me over for was, my plate light was out. he try`d to pick at my yota,However it meets all rcw`s I use`d to have a copy of them pertaing to modified vehicle`s in my glove box. but that was years back. i got them from wsp.

I live out of the city and its not a problem until a cop gets behind you or decides he has nothing better to do at that moment. For a while I never got pulled over by any cop oncoming, I figured they didn't think I was worth the u-turn, until the time there was no other cars and he flipped around real quick and lit me up.

He just pointed at my jeep, shook his head, and said "This isn't gonna work" :haha:

Safety is their biggest concern. Tire coverage and proper lighting. Making an attempt to be legal goes a long ways too. Blatantly removing every road safety device and not even trying to look legal will get you in trouble.

Not having a total **** box and not driving like a total **** head are what works for me.

Well... actually, I do have a **** box, it just doesn't look it from the outside.

The way I understand it is that all wheels are req'd to have a DOT approval stamped into them. If you modify the bead area of the wheel, it voids the DOT approval, thus making them illegal for street use, unless you can find some DOT approved beadlock wheels.

Run Hummer wheels and you have DOT approved beadlocks...:redneck:

x100 on not looking like a douche bag... You or your rig...:awesomework:

Well, coming from a police officer...

Nothing is illegal until you get caught. Stay low key, dont stand out too much, and most wont look twice unless theyre bored or you give them a reason.

I got nabbed for speed in my wheeler just the other day on HWY 2. 60 in a 50 :rolleyes:

He gave me the lecture on equipment violations, and cut me a break with the speeding ticket, but still wrote it. Oh well, pay to play. I dont mention that Im a police officer, I dont like the whole concept of "professional courtesy". Just because you do the job doesnt make you above the law. I was technically speeding so I deserved the ticket, even if I think its rediculous that he stopped me for doing the same speed as everyone else, lol. In my own defense, I honestly thought it was 55 through there like the other stretch of HWY 2. Oh well.

~T.J.

The way I understand it is that all wheels are req'd to have a DOT approval stamped into them. If you modify the bead area of the wheel, it voids the DOT approval, thus making them illegal for street use, unless you can find some DOT approved beadlock wheels.

By all means please enlighten us all and show ANY rcw that pertains to beadlocks or that wheels HAVE to be DOT approved.

OlyWa

Dont run little mudflaps, But something just a big bigger than necessary on there. The must cover the width of the tire and go to the centerline of the wheel, at least.