• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer Decking?

War-Jeeper

Mailbox Killing War-Ho
So those of you who have re-decked your own trailer, what kind of wood did you use? What kind of screws did you use? Did you then treat the wood with anything?

My trailer is from 03' and the deck is rotting out and just had a hole put through two of the boards so i need to re-deck it ASAP but never done it before so not sure what material is best to use for this application

I used the pressure treated 6x2's and bought new hardware that matched the screws that i pulled off the original deck. The pressure treated stuff was spendy but sure looked nice

Pressure treated is garbage for trailer decking. MFGers dont use it either.

Do you want a trailer deck full of perferations? I dont want tiny holes all over my decking.

Just use normal ol 2x6s. Then paint them if your really worried.

Think about this, the cheap crap on it now lasted ten years, do you really think you will have the same trailer in ten years? If you do then it will have earned another new deck by then.

Get decking screws for this purpose. They are awesome.

Remember the lazier and cheaper ya go will determine how long it lasts. Most trailer companies only shoot one row of screws on the middle crossmember and then cap the ends with flatbar to save time and money.

That lets the boards flex up and down each time your tire crosses a crsmembr. If ya screw the deck boards to EACH crsmembr then they cant flex up and down and will last WAY longer.

Decking screws are big money from places like fastenall and tacoma screw.

try to find a trailer MFGer in your area and buy the screws directly from them.

Two reasons.

One, the screw shops dont USE what they SELL. If they sell you a bunch of crap that break off or strip the heads easily then the job will suck.

Two, the trailer MFGer will ONLY carry what works the best and costs the least. He will buy them in LARGE quantity and will get a better price and be able to pass it on to you.

Kinda like buying tube from XO/Anthony. He is a fab shop but can get ya a better price than "super metal" stores can.

I have pressure treated on mine and its held up great and certainly longer than any of the cheap pine boards you see people use.. Another nice thing about pressure treated is its harder for moss bacteria to dig into the wood and easier to remove if ya ever get it on there..

When I need to replace mine I am going to use 1/4" bumper bolts as I have seen screws pull out.. Its a little more work but you will end up with better secured boards for the long haul..

Pressure treated is garbage for trailer decking. MFGers dont use it either.

Do you want a trailer deck full of perferations? I dont want tiny holes all over my decking.

Just use normal ol 2x6s. Then paint them if your really worried.

Think about this, the cheap crap on it now lasted ten years, do you really think you will have the same trailer in ten years? If you do then it will have earned another new deck by then.

Get decking screws for this purpose. They are awesome.

Remember the lazier and cheaper ya go will determine how long it lasts. Most trailer companies only shoot one row of screws on the middle crossmember and then cap the ends with flatbar to save time and money.

That lets the boards flex up and down each time your tire crosses a crsmembr. If ya screw the deck boards to EACH crsmembr then they cant flex up and down and will last WAY longer.

Not totally sold on the non-pressure treated stuff, MFGers dont use it cause its spendy, its used on homes everywhere cause it stands up to elements and abuse really well. Mine is screwed down every other cross member already and we plan to do that again if not every single one

Decking screws are big money from places like fastenall and tacoma screw.

try to find a trailer MFGer in your area and buy the screws directly from them.

Two reasons.

One, the screw shops dont USE what they SELL. If they sell you a bunch of crap that break off or strip the heads easily then the job will suck.

Two, the trailer MFGer will ONLY carry what works the best and costs the least. He will buy them in LARGE quantity and will get a better price and be able to pass it on to you.

Kinda like buying tube from XO/Anthony. He is a fab shop but can get ya a better price than "super metal" stores can.

Ya i wanna use the same decking screws, was gonna see about getting them online somewhere cause there isnt any trailer MFGers very close to me to make it worth my drive ya know

I have pressure treated on mine and its held up great and certainly longer than any of the cheap pine boards you see people use.. Another nice thing about pressure treated is its harder for moss bacteria to dig into the wood and easier to remove if ya ever get it on there..

When I need to replace mine I am going to use 1/4" bumper bolts as I have seen screws pull out.. Its a little more work but you will end up with better secured boards for the long haul..

How long ago did you do your deck mike??

I thought about bumper bolts too but i think for sake of time im gonna do deck screws again.:redneck:

We used pressure treated on my dads trailer when we rebuilt it and the same stuff is still there and good to go 8 years later. Its stored outside uncovered all year. We just hit it with the hose and a brush from time to time and no worries. I am betting it holds up for another 8 years before we need to redo the decking.

We used pressure treated on my dads trailer when we rebuilt it and the same stuff is still there and good to go 8 years later. Its stored outside uncovered all year. We just hit it with the hose and a brush from time to time and no worries. I am betting it holds up for another 8 years before we need to redo the decking.

Thats what i like to hear!:awesomework:

Not totally sold on the non-pressure treated stuff, MFGers dont use it cause its spendy, its used on homes everywhere cause it stands up to elements and abuse really well. Mine is screwed down every other cross member already and we plan to do that again if not every single one

Ya i wanna use the same decking screws, was gonna see about getting them online somewhere cause there isnt any trailer MFGers very close to me to make it worth my drive ya know

How long ago did you do your deck mike??

I thought about bumper bolts too but i think for sake of time im gonna do deck screws again.:redneck:

I never have Sam. I had them use pressure treated when they built it and that was like 7 years ago and the boards are still in great shape. Just looked at yours and ya those boards are DONE,,,,

I never have Sam. I had them use pressure treated when they built it and that was like 7 years ago and the boards are still in great shape. Just looked at yours and ya those boards are DONE,,,,

Oh gotcha gotcha! Ya LOL its pretty bad, not bad for 9 years old though!!!:awesomework:

Normal lumber for me, 2x6's

Waterseal/deck sealer every year or every other year.

1/4" type F deck screw. The screws you showed bring the suck to me. Type F are a thread cutting screw so you have to predrill the holes.

Normal lumber for me, 2x6's

Waterseal/deck sealer every year or every other year.

1/4" type F deck screw. The screws you showed bring the suck to me. Type F are a thread cutting screw so you have to predrill the holes.

The ones i posted are a self drilling screw so why would they suck?

Im not good at yearly coatings on decking so im thinking treated may be easier?

Oh gotcha gotcha! Ya LOL its pretty bad, not bad for 9 years old though!!!:awesomework:

Those boards are very bad. If you look close where the big hole is now those boards have been done for some time--lots of dry rot and something you won't have to worry about with pressure treated....

I just used the cheap stuff on mine, im sure it will hold up for years to come. Once the oil gets soaked in to the boards there as good or better than pressure treated :redneck:

My dad shares a flat bed with a good friend of his. Pretty sure he footed the bill for the treated because he knew his buddy would have bought the cheaper stuff. It has been great so far. Lots of dump and yard waste runs. Moved a few people. They used it to haul a tractor on a regular basis, and I've hauled a number of vehicles. It seems to get loaned out on a weekly basis. Still looks great.

yup, I have "p" treated goods on mine too! been like 5yrs or better. still looks brand new-ish!!! bumper bolts for mee too, just a little bit cheaper (only did front and back).

ps...no comment Tom Tom, my brakes are badass now!!:flipoff:

pressure treated has worked fine for me. No matter what you use, make sure to leave a good size gap between boards. When the wood soaks water it expands, even treated. I have almost .5" gap in spots in summer and when its wet, it is tight.
Self tapers, flush head, 1/4" screws at least and plan on breaking some.
This has worked fine for me for 5-8yrs so far.

I used pressure treated 2x6s, and topped them with some leftover wood sealer from the deck. It's held up great for 4 years. I also welded up a channel with 1.5" angle around the perimeter of the deck, and bolt the back piece on with 3 carriage bolts. This makes it so I slide all the boards in and bolt the back on, no deck screws at all.
I also don't drag things onto my trailer, if I'm going to drag something on, I lay boards down to protect the deck.