• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trailers

Okay it looks like I will be getting a trailer sometime between now and the end of the year. Since it is a little farther for me to drive over to go shopping I'd like to hear some recent prices from trailer places. I am looking for a 14' or 16'.

Also what options? I was thinking I wanted folding ramps instead of the type that stow away. I also need a brake controler?

Just to add to this sticky here is the other thread about trailers. http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5771&highlight=trailers

Last edited:
what are you towing with
what are you towing

if you have a big truck would not go less then 18 feet the differance in price in nothing compalierd to the extra storage area a longer trailer gives you

not to hijack this thread but i have been looking at this thread for a while now because i to am in the market for a trailer for my XJ. on the way home from turkey day we drove by an 18ft travel trail tandem axle with brakes for free. so i thought could i knock the structure down to the frame and replank it and use it as a trailer for my xj. any thoughts about that? Pros, Cons?

I will be buying within the next week or two.

Towing with a 2006 D-Cab tundra with iForce V8 and TRD Exhaust
Towing, 93 T4R (4140#)

Thinking 2" ball min
14 foot length
tandem axle

Okay so why would I want the Dove tail on a trailer? Also I am thinking I want folding ramps instead of stowaway ramps so that I don't have to carry them. What do the ramps weigh & how hard are they to stow and put onto the trailer?

im not around my trailer right now so i dont know what brand it is but its a 20 foot with a 2 foot dovetail. the only thing i would have changed (which im fabbing myself) is remocable fenders. my trucks rub the sides of my tires on the insides of the fenders. mine has the stowaway ramps, i wont run a trailer with fold down ramps.

smalltowncowboy said:
im not around my trailer right now so i dont know what brand it is but its a 20 foot with a 2 foot dovetail. the only thing i would have changed (which im fabbing myself) is remocable fenders. my trucks rub the sides of my tires on the insides of the fenders. mine has the stowaway ramps, i wont run a trailer with fold down ramps.

Why would you not run flod down ramps? I have a bad leg so I am thinking they might be easier. The only thing I plan on hauling with this trailer is my Jeep. I am 76" wide right now.

What is the reason for the dovetail?

I have seen guys use the dovetailed trailers load there rigs without ramps. Just drive up the back but I think the purpose is to reduce the loading breakover angle for things like lowrider show cars and drag cars. Many trailers have the ramp storing right under the rear of the trailer deck. Standing in one place you can slide em out and hook em on the end.

Rick If i was you, i'd go with a dove tail with hidden ramps, your jeep would crawl right up the back with no ramps. I dont have a dove tail trailer and still get on my trailer without ramps as well as many other people on here.

No the down side to this is one day u may need to pack the ramps once or twice if u break something and need to limp back onto the trailer. But i have found that fold up ramps suck at life and I hate them.

I'm not much for dovetails cause they drag ass everywhere.. I was able to load my ZJ with 31's and 4.5" lift onto a flatbed, no dovetail and no ramps without a problem.. So I don't see why pretty much anyone on here wouldn't be able to do the same.. unless it's a heavier trailer that sits taller.

Wildman said:
Why would you not run flod down ramps? I have a bad leg so I am thinking they might be easier. The only thing I plan on hauling with this trailer is my Jeep. I am 76" wide right now.

What is the reason for the dovetail?

I have a 20' Load Trail that I bought from Olympic. And yes with the dovetail if you have bigger tires you just drive up the thing to load it. Ramps are not needed unless you are broken. I also have a 10,000 lb trailer it is heavy but I use it for other things besides the wheeler.

Dovetail just lowers the rear...
Rick I have a tilt trailer that I bought forever ago, its a gravity tilt that does have a dove on the rear of it. 16 ft deck wit a 3 ft dovetail, its way more then long enough for my heeps, but I can also do full size trucks on it. Its a bulldog trailer, if I remember correctly, have had it for about 16 years or so. The only problems I have ever had with it is that I have had to redeck it, and anytime somebody borrows it, it comes back missing taillights...:booo:
Not having ramps to loose is nice, as some people like to borrow my crap and I never get it back. :rolleyes:
If there were something that I would change on it if I had a choice would be to have it sit a little higher, it sits so low I drag it all the time:mad:

http://www.freewaytrailer.com/open-car-trailers.asp 16 ft 7000#, wood deck, slide out ramps(non treated fir/easy to replace)$2048.00

http://www.jjtrailersales.com/ 16ft 7000# wood deck, not treated, slide out ramps, breakaway system, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. talked to John the owner...$1995.00. Looks like I will be driving out there next weekend.

http://www.kiperts.com/ Iron Eagle Trailer, 16 foot deck 7000# slide out ramps, treated wood deck (easy to replace) $2615.00

http://www.olympictrailer.com/trailers/12es.htm 18FT beaver Tail 10,000#, Wood Deck, slide out ramps $2695.00, it was all they had in stock

brake controllers

http://www.tekonsha.com/index.html

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Last edited:
Well guys the snow storm took out my internet. I had to sign up for dialup while I wait for them to get out here and repair my sattilite.

So I called some trailer places today and had the one in Yakima tell me that I want a 10,000lb GVW and not the 7,000lb GVW for my Jeep. So what does everyone have? Do I need the larger trailer? I can get the 7,000lb trailer out the door for $2,100 out the door or the 10,000 for $2,780.

We have one guy in our club with a 10k trailer. The rest are all 7k trailers. Off the top of my head there are at least 12 trailers in the club. Never a problem. Never over the recommended weight. We have two Landcruisers, a few CJ5's, some race rigs and the rest are YJ/TJ's. There have been a few times where a 10k trailer would've been nice. The problem with owning a 10k trailer is everyone will come knocking.

how much does your jeep weigh? That is the big deciding factor between a 7,000lb and a 10,000lb gvw trailer. Then you have to find out how much the trailer itself weighs. As far as fold down ramps vs stowaways, I personally would prefer the stowaway ramps. For the most part any "car hauler" trailer a trail rig would be able to drive on and off of with out the use of the ramps.

For a controller I'd do a tekonsha prodigy. It makes towing almost invisible. If you do a little shopping around on the net you can find the controller and proper "plug in" pig tail (elimintating wiring if you already have the trailer plug in at the back of the rig" anywhere from $100 to $125 including shipping.

When I did some phone shopping I found Top Notch Trailer to me seemed the best deal. Bout $100 more than Bull Dog Trailer in Chehalis, but to me the guy seemed to take a little more time to explain what features the trailer had (ie 4 welded on d rings as well as stake pockets)

Hope my 2 bits helps ya out

Share the prices.

I have an email quote from topnocth for

The 7K - 16' will haul 5240# and it is $1850.00 plus tax and license

What are you guys seeing?