• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmissions!?!

Juan_Hong_Loe

That's dumb
Well my transmission finally took a dump yesterday in my dodge! Of course it had to happen while my wife was driving it. Called around today to get some prices and why does it cost so damn much just to have one rebuilt? Not sure what route I'm going to take but, it's looking like I'm going to do the rebuild myself (with the help from a friend that worked at a tranny shop for 25 years). This **** sucks! :mad:

Had mine rebuilt in my 01 and it ran about $1903! :****: The man gave me a 12000 mile or 12 month warranty with it though. They told me they don't care where I was or what I was doing that they would tow it and anything attached to it home for no cost. :****:

POPS58 said:
Check on a factory rebuilt first,wish I hada :puke:

X2

We had about six Dodges at work and had allot of trans trouble. Had the first three rebuilt and all was done by different shops. They never would last. The last two we done before we got rid of them was factory rebuilt and they done great. They probably had 70,000 on factory rebuilt ones and we might get 30,000 out of trans shop rebuilds.

You can upgrade but that costs a ton of money. The Dodge guys like Goerand (sp??) but unless you are pushing tons of power and driving like cole it is not needed. Sounds like a factory rebuilt may be the way to go.

been there done all that had 4 built for my first dodge $1500 every time torque convertor is very important along with a complete system flush everything has got to b clean or no rebuild will last very long. the last one i had built was done right over 60000 on it before i traded it off now have a worry free manual 6 speed

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Just got a price on a jasper unit with torque converter $2400.00 Still weighing my options!

You are not pushing a ton of power are you? If so no need for the 8k built tranny...

Ditch the Jasper converter and get a good one. I have heard they make all the differance. Also let us know what you end up doing. Got one with 80K on it so I am sure I will be in the market before long.

Toddy

Daniel, did it give you any signs it was failing? Mine has 97k on it but so far the tranny has been flawless on it. Just wondering if I should be looking for anything on it.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
I got 104k out of this one. Not pushing a ton of power but future plans may be needing it. :dunno: I want to eventually put twins on it. But that will be later on down the road.

Daniel,

I've heard good things about Michael @ Bill's Transmission in Cullman
Bill's Transmission
17815 Us Highway 31
Cullman, AL 35058-0214
(256) 739-3299?

Cubby said:
Daniel,

I've heard good things about Michael @ Bill's Transmission in Cullman
Bill's Transmission
17815 Us Highway 31
Cullman, AL 35058-0214
(256) 739-3299?

Is that who Bailey uses?

Matt O. said:
Is that who Bailey uses?

I'm not sure on that Matt. His name came up on the Competition Diesel board and the guys at Performance Torque Converters in Muscle Shoals said he was the guy to use for the Dodge Transmissions.

I don't think I'd give ATS any business.

Cubby said:
I don't think I'd give ATS any business.

I've heard they make good products but do not stand behind their warranty. If I do a perfomance transmission it would be suncoast. 4 Hour drive compared to a 30 hour drive is a no brainer. ;D Thanks for the info, I'll give him a call!

Matt O. said:
Daniel, did it give you any signs it was failing? Mine has 97k on it but so far the tranny has been flawless on it. Just wondering if I should be looking for anything on it.

Yeah, Cole and Neal can both tell you this, when we were coming back from MM one time the converter locked up and started shaking the whole truck like something was fixing to break! Cole was freaking out in the back seat and Neal just slowly turned his head and looked at me with a look like WTF. Converter unlocked and all was good. Just drove the rest of the trip not letting it lock up. But about the past two weeks it has not been down shifting until I completey stop. I checked the fluid and all that but appearantly nothing I could have done. Also a couple of times taking off last week it was slipping, so I knew it was coming. Just was hoping it wait another month.