• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is more destructive?

briejer

Big tires(40+) locked up.....or....31-33 open diffs or only one locker?

My thought is........is it really big tires that mess up trails? or is it heavy rigs with small tire and open diffs?

I know that I can drive a trail in my buggy and rarely spin a tire, climb up most ledges, root clusters, logs, rocks with out tearing up things. To do the same in a less equipt rig one would have to pull cable on every rock, log or root......that is if the rig had a winch and one was willing to pull it instead of spinning tires.

What are your thought???

Its the driver. but a bad driver with small tires does a lot less damage then a bad driver with huge tires. We ran the sma trails for years with small tires and never seen the kind of damage that we see now. Plain a simple a 40" tire will dig bigger holes than a 33. I also tend to think that the bigger tire (which makes the rig more capable if you will) tends to make the driver seek out more difficult lines that tend to move away from the traditional trail. We see this all the time as people look for that extra challenge. case in point the hill climb on the lower 311 at Evans was once 1 trail and is now 3.

pokey said:
Its the driver. but a bad driver with small tires does a lot less damage then a bad driver with huge tires.

case in point the hill climb on the lower 311 at Evans was once 1 trail and is now 3.

This is something that I will agree w/ you on. as I tried my best to explain what are future might / may hold in the not so near...

Pokey said / explained it better than me...

look at the trails.... he can make that statement, because he has seen 1st hand what has happened to the trails over the years... vs before everyone had big 33's - then it was big 35's - then it was 36's & now 40+ / etc.

in that thread i started, like pokey is saying... here.

If you showed 2 similiar rig's - 1 w/ 33's - 1w/ 36's front end stuck... and both spinning tires to DIG... which do you think is going to leave a bigger hole?

again, it shouldn't come down to limiting tire size, but it just very well might.
because all though you might be that rare example out there that doesn't spin your tires... or tear it up while out to offroad,

MOST EVERYONE ELSE DOES & IN FACT BELIEVES THAT IS WHAT OFFROADING IS ALL ABOUT WHEN ON A TRAIL SYSTEM.

they think, this place was made for this, it's why i come here, it's the reason it's here, this is why i'm digging or tearing it up. i'm not in the wrong....

?????????? or is he?

================================

ask someone, who has to fix & maintain the trail system about larger tires?

skrause said:
Bad drivers who don't know when to quit is what fawks up the trails.

This is the best example of what tears up the trails not tires, lockers or rigs.
for exaple a sami axle with 33s will dig a deeper hole than a Dana 60 with 36s or a portal with 31s will dig a deeper hole. So you can't blame it on tires.

Plain and simple--size. I know a # of places where there are HUGE holes in the trail caused by big tires....

It's driver. You can take a small rig like mine and pull cable where a rig like yours would have no problems.

But you guys with your monster rigs have to respect the fact that while you can go anywhere, you really shouldn't.

crash said:
So big holes are acceptable :rolleyes:

holes don't erode--they fill. Trench's erode...

Don't try that crap on me, Ro.....er Crash:flipoff:

None is acceptable .

To me little holes turn into big holes and big holes make it impassable. Kanar Flats is my proof of that.

GRNTACO said:
Don't try that crap on me, Ro.....er Crash:flipoff:

None is acceptable .

To me little holes turn into big holes and big holes make it impassable. Kanar Flats is my proof of that.

tHATS not erosion--bigger by use :;

Yup, big tire makes big hole, small tire gets stuck in big hole, spins, makes it even bigger.

In theory, big floaty squishy tires should be able to run any normal trail without making a mark, but in practice, that doesn't always happen. It comes down to the driver.

GRNTACO said:

Kaner is far from impassable. It is currently just as doable on 33's as it ever has been.

ok i just have to say is the driver but the more it gets used the more it will get all messed up.

and you can compare it to dirt bike racing in a way like when going in to a turn its nice and smoth at the start of the day and couple hours later its all fawked up with breaking bumps.

it kinda sucks but thatz just the way it is

dan

benw said:
Kaner is far from impassable. It is currently just as doable on 33's as it ever has been.

Is this still open or is there trees in it?

normal_DSCN2428.JPG

That pic was taken 6/24/06 and all but one had to winch.

Same section 7/3/06

normal_DSCN0824.JPG

Last edited:
49" tires don't belong on the trails because its not a challenge for a rig with that big of tires so they make their own trails. And if they do have a challenge on a trail its so tore up afterwords nothing with smaller tires will make it.

Latest posts