• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BK Toterhome Project

Still got to be vented though. Great to heat quickly, but not as a primary heating system. We used a propane to initially heat and electric to maintain our heat.

wont work said:
I use 2 milk house heaters in mine. Very small and compact but put off lots of heat. They hardly use any electricity and since my trailer is insulated i can usually get it warm and shut them off for the night and be good. Takes about as long to warm trailer as it does to charge cell phone and cook a meal.

I thought those little things took a ton of power? You run yours off the Generator or Power Inverter?

Re:

We maintained with an oil heater on low setting....draws 6.something or another

Eric Hagan......I mean Kel Lawrence

Re:

Is it electric start? Run a second start/cutoff in cab. How my RV was set up.

Eric Hagan......I mean Kel Lawrence

Mine is electric start and can have a remote starter put on it. Also ways to tap in fuel line and make it run for days.

I think theyre pretty expensive but a lot of big trucks these days run stand alone generators that run the heat in AC while they're parked so they don't have to idle their trucks all night or for a few days if they have to reset for 34 hours. They run on like a real small 3cyl kubota diesel I think. Over the road drivers can justify them because they will pay for themselves after awhile by saving them fuel but I don't know how well it would work for you. My best friend owns a diesel shop where they install a **** ton of these. Ill ask him about it, maybe you can find a used one somewhere.

Re: Re: Re: BK Toterhome Project

onepieceatatime said:
I think theyre pretty expensive but a lot of big trucks these days run stand alone generators that run the heat in AC while they're parked so they don't have to idle their trucks all night or for a few days if they have to reset for 34 hours. They run on like a real small 3cyl kubota diesel I think. Over the road drivers can justify them because they will pay for themselves after awhile by saving them fuel but I don't know how well it would work for you. My best friend owns a diesel shop where they install a **** ton of these. Ill ask him about it, maybe you can find a used one somewhere.
We install and work on a lot of them. IMO the Thermo King TRIPAC is the best ones. There right around 10 grand new. Not really worth it unless you use it daily.

Todd Sanford

Re:

But if your looking for just heat. Airtronics makes a diesel 12v heater. I think there around 7500 btu. We have put them in a couple tool trucks. And they work great. I think there around $1000.

Todd Sanford

Toddy said:
Guy we wheeled with at Harlan all the time had one of these in his converted box truck. He said it worked good.

http://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater.html

We used one of these in a kinda small enclosed trailer (6x12) and it kept cutting itself off on the CO safety shutoff but for dang sure heated very good. Make sure you get the hose extension for use with big bottles if you go this route.

Might look for junk camper and get heater out of it. Never really looked into it but they are propane and can runs off 12volt I assume or might need the inverter from camper if not.

Only other option I know of is run gen with electric heater. I have a base board type electric heater I used in my 20' enclosed with Insalation in the roof and it did a good job. It has a thermostat. Have it in my 25 x 30 downstairs garage right now and it keeps it at 70 most of the time. Don't think it would have a problem in you toter.

BustedKnucklefilms said:
I have a propane heater like that. just didnt think they were ok to run inside a closed space.

There use to be a camper salvage yard that we would get A/C units for our race trailers from in addison on the way to the lake. Not sure if its still there. I did notice the salvage yard beside the old delphi plant in decatur has several wrecked RV's in it right now.

Re: Re: Re:

chopperdonk said:
But if your looking for just heat. Airtronics makes a diesel 12v heater. I think there around 7500 btu. We have put them in a couple tool trucks. And they work great. I think there around $1000.

Todd Sanford
Yeah I talked to my buddy and told him about this thread and he mentioned a heater like this.

civicmindedex79 said:
We used one of these in a kinda small enclosed trailer (6x12) and it kept cutting itself off on the CO safety shutoff but for dang sure heated very good. Make sure you get the hose extension for use with big bottles if you go this route.

No doubt! Back when Tellico was open some dudes woke up dead at stateline running one of those units in their truck. We were not with them, we were at Spivey Cove Camp, but the fire-pit story was the heater was shutting off the previous night so they "fixed" it to not shut off.