• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BK Toterhome Project

LandSpeeder said:
No doubt! Back when Tellico was open some dudes woke up dead at stateline running one of those units in their truck. We were not with them, we were at Spivey Cove Camp, but the fire-pit story was the heater was shutting off the previous night so they "fixed" it to not shut off.
I hate when I wake up dead! >:D

Whatever you go with, get a CO detector at minimum. Waking up dead sux.

Just err on the side of caution because gas heat, not vented properly, makes you sleep, permanently.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Whatever you go with, get a CO detector at minimum. Waking up dead sux.

Just err on the side of caution because gas heat, not vented properly, makes you sleep, permanently.

A
MEN!

I got a built-in detector... and for safe measure went and got me another'n I keep a battery in... silent killer...

Reviving the Toterhome thread.

I havent done a whole lot to the toter other than drive the crap out of it.
New front tires and some odds and ends.

This thing is a dog on the big hills pulling the buggy in the trailer.
Anyone have experience adding some more woopow to a DT466? Looking for a little more power without making it less reliable.
I figure a EGT guage is a must with any mods so that is first on my list.

It's the same as turning up a 12v Cummins with a p-pump on the back of injection pump there is a plate with 4 screws if it has never been removed 2 will b tamper proof after removing that plate use a screw driver and 10mm wrench brake loose locking nut then screw in screw one turn. Next question would b does yours have a waste gate most don't but if so u can block it also you can loosen bolts that hold pump to front main cover and turn pump towards engine this will advance your timing

Well here is a little update on the Toter. I have driven it to KOH twice and all over the country racing so before this year's trip it was time for some TLC.

First we did new brakes all the way around, a new parking brake assembly, some rear axle seals and new king pins up front.

Then it was time to turn it up and get some more power out of it. It is just like an old 12 valve. We installed a EGT gauge first, then slide the fuel plate on the pump all the way forward and adjusted the star wheel that controls pre-boost fuel. Made a huge difference. There are a few more mods with timing and grinding the fuel plate as well as tightening the governer springs to allow for more RPMs I am looking into also.

Fixed the leaky seal between the cab and the box.

Ordered a new remote start generator and 32 gallon grey water tank.

Got some new tires from Goforth for the front and will do an alignment when they are installed and we should be good to go.

Finally going to black out the wheels and some other accessories on Monday.

Love this thing! See yall at KOH. :driving:

fabricator1 said:
Very nice. What kind of mileage do you get towing and what what kind of speeds?

It gets around 8-10 fully loaded at 70mph before we did fuel mods. I am hoping it does better now, It sucks on hills!

Coming our of Palm Springs we hit the big hill, it just about overheats by the time we get to the little town up there then we pull over and let it cool off before speeding through the little town just so we can get up the hill LOL!

Did you ever check to see if you needed cdl's to drive this truck, I ask this because I bought an old Freightliner and everyone is telling me if it has air brakes you have to have cdl's. I need to find me a state trooper to ask for sure I guess.

Re: Re: BK Toterhome Project

Elliott said:
Did you ever check to see if you needed cdl's to drive this truck, I ask this because I bought an old Freightliner and everyone is telling me if it has air brakes you have to have cdl's. I need to find me a state trooper to ask for sure I guess.
It's not the brakes that matter. It's all about weight. If you can tag it at 26k it doesn't matter what kind of brakes it has.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Elliott said:

No CDL required. It is registered as an RV and less than the CDL weight limit also. It's been all over the Country with no issues. I am about to partial wrap it and the trailer so we will see how that works out. The enclosed trailer we have hauled the past 2 years says Busted Knuckle Films down both sides really big and we haven't been stopped. The truck also does not have air brakes.

Well this thing needed some TLC in the looks department so I decided to black out the trim and work on the lights......
16195906_1636526863315268_282659716897290001_n.jpg

Got all the lights working. Amazon LED Light pack for the win! $1 each vs $10 each at parts store. Here is a link to the ones I used- http://amzn.to/2k9BoXs
16142679_1636526959981925_1176769000797104813_n.jpg

I think I am going to Black out the Roof and wing next. That will take care of most of the paint issues and rust (stupid drip rail)

Looks way better with some paint on it. Totally agree on the roof and wing being next/soon.

How many miles have you put on it?

ridered3 said:
Looks way better with some paint on it. Totally agree on the roof and wing being next/soon.

How many miles have you put on it?

I've put about 20k on it so far. Now that we have done all this work to is we will be using it a lot more.

16388098_1637480343219920_7308571511833212701_n.jpg

Just got back from out Trip to Memphis 3 hrs there and back. Didn't have to down shift for a single Hill pulling our 16ft enclosed! :driving:

I want to do the rest of the pump mods and bump up the timing to see what it can really do. EGT never climbed over 10. So pumped!