• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Funding:

What's your idea?:corn:

Retain the stock muffler and cat on my buggy. The rig will be silent. Also, I have been looking into 24' uhaul trucks. They can be had cheap on craigslist. A 24' uhaul truck will fit my rig and provide space for a sleeping area with a real mattress, all while outwardly appearing to be a regular moving van.

I see the days of a traditional truck and trailer combo coming to an end. With no legal ORV recreation a truck and trailer sitting on the side of the road is suspicious. I'd been looking into this for a while as I wheel almost every weekend and camp two weekends a month on average. A real bed in a solid enclosure (like a camper or motorhome) starts to look very appealing when you keep the wheelin and camping routine I do.

It is all about adapting to the situation at hand. Life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. I will continue to wheel as I love it too much to stop.

Will everyone please quit talking about Canada's wheelin. It does nobody any good.

Retain the stock muffler and cat on my buggy. The rig will be silent. Also, I have been looking into 24' uhaul trucks. They can be had cheap on craigslist. A 24' uhaul truck will fit my rig and provide space for a sleeping area with a real mattress, all while outwardly appearing to be a regular moving van.

I see the days of a traditional truck and trailer combo coming to an end. With no legal ORV recreation a truck and trailer sitting on the side of the road is suspicious. I'd been looking into this for a while as I wheel almost every weekend and camp two weekends a month on average. A real bed in a solid enclosure (like a camper or motorhome) starts to look very appealing when you keep the wheelin and camping routine I do.

It is all about adapting to the situation at hand. Life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. I will continue to wheel as I love it too much to stop.

Will everyone please quit talking about Canada's wheelin. It does nobody any good.
One problem with the u-haul idea is when people see one of those sitting around with no by it someone will call the bomb squad or think its a moble meth lab.

Just kinda thinking (maybe I should not be) but what about a plate to help pool funds for motorized recreation? Kinda how you can get plates with UW on them or WSU. What about a plate for those who support wheeling, dirt biking, and quads? Have it set up so that a set amount of it would go to a fund that is for our areas only and not for other parks and such? Maybe I missed the mark but I don't think it would be a bad idea if they (state and/or DOL) would be willing to work with us on it. I think it would be cool and I would get one for ALL my rigs.

Somebody needs a time-out. They're treating this area like it's the chatterbox. Makes reading/comprehension for the adults more difficult.

For those wheelers that approve of the gray area of dispersed recreation; a hardcore built, street legal wheeler is the answer.

a hardcore built, street legal wheeler is the answer.

Some of us have never diverged from this. It's a truely old-school adaptation of the new technologies presented.

Full factory frame, with factory sheetmetal, mostly unaltered. With modern suspension technology and big axles with reasonable gearing and new-school safety equipment.

Welcome to 1994. Again.

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of the pass as structured by Sen Ranker. We need the idea of the pass to be approved so we should support it as it's our only choice right now. When it comes time to actually buy the pass that may be a different deal. Let the people buying passes to visit the parks support us for a change.:;

I think the pass is a good idea. BUT

Without wording to clearly define what and where that money can be used, it'll just be swiped in 2012 like NOVA was this last round. And with a nearly 5 billion shortfall on this next biennium, I'll be shocked if it isn't swiped again.

You may want to put more thought into this. I don't know how far they'll take it but there's provisions for agencies to issue fines for resource damage caused by ORV's and it seems they plan to start enforcing this. What's the replacement value of a tree? I don't know but I don't want to be the one to first find out.:corn:

I'll remember to ask tomorrow, but I recall the DNR fine being $1,000 for each damaged tree, at least harvestable tree.

Damage included the bark getting torn off.

That could be a real bitch if there's a dozen damaged trees on a bandit trail and you got caught damaging just one of them. You could get stuck holding the bag for all 12 and trying to prove you didn't do it. :eeek:

I'll remember to ask tomorrow, but I recall the DNR fine being $1,000 for each damaged tree, at least harvestable tree.

Damage included the bark getting torn off.

That could be a real bitch if there's a dozen damaged trees on a bandit trail and you got caught damaging just one of them. You could get stuck holding the bag for all 12 and trying to prove you didn't do it. :eeek:
How do they prove you did do it? I don't think this would standup in court unless you were seen doing it.

What ever it takes because if they don't see you do it they can't prove it.

They may not see you damage all of them but if they see you damge one and the others are damaged in the same way in close proximity they could extrapolate that you did them all...If you're driving down a trail from point A to point F where they catch you how did you get past point B-C-D-E-?....Any way you look at it you may be able to get out of it but it will cost big to do so.

You didn't address the reason though......
That's true, I didn't.

You have to put everything in perspective. When I started wheeling (in the 80s), there was no legal, illegal places. We'd wheel green mountain one day, then Tahuya that night. (Back then) Tahuya had 10Xs the amount of open territory. It was wide open. There was no signs saying 'closed' anywhere. If we wanted a road trip, then off to Evans we'd go. For vacation, it's off to Shoestring or Rimrock. These were pre-diesel truck days, before anyone towed across country unless you HAD to. Recreational towing to, say, California's Rubicon was a PITA, with a winded out 350 carb'd, getting a 5 MPG. Of course, we were all broke financially too (youth), so you did what you had to do to have fun. This was before "environmental concerns" were prevalent. Hell, I recall doing STOOPID things back then.

So in effect, where we all came from was the 'Grey' area of wheeling. Are you asking me if we should go back to that? Then no. There is no going back. But.. if you are asking me if the whole wheeling world is going back, yeah, that's a distinct probability. In which case, welcome to 1994.

And I picked 1994 deliberately, because that's the year I did TTC in a well built STREET legal CJ5, which, was 'state of the art' technology back then. Is my current rig 1994? Nah, it's EFI & Atlas'd with 60s on beadlocks. None of that was 1994 in wheelin' back then. But I do see the trend towards buggies diminishing and streetable wheelers rebounding.

What ever it takes because if they don't see you do it they can't prove it.

I've heard rumors that (after the merger of the DNR & WSFW and the "parking pass" is written into law) photo and video evidence of resource damage could become admissible in court cases, such as this.

Ya....uh-oh.:eeek: But it's just a rumor....for now.

Last edited:
So in effect, where we all came from was the 'Grey' area of wheeling. Are you asking me if we should go back to that? Then no. There is no going back. But.. if you are asking me if the whole wheeling world is going back, yeah, that's a distinct probability. In which case, welcome to 1994.

A sense of pride and realism......I like it.:awesomework: