• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Generator

wont work

I'm on the hunt for a generator to use when camping and home backup. The miller works great and runs the entire house but little big for trips and loading.
What's a good one to get and bad ones also?
Where is best place to purchase? I'm in Alabama
Looking at getting around 5000 watts?

Check out the honda inverters, they are bad ass! buy 2 of the 2000 watts and link them together, they are so quiet you can barley hear them run, just one of them runs my camper just fine, they are kinda of high, but well worth it!

If you got the cash and want one that will last and that is quiet as a mouse. HONDA!!!

I thought the same thing about the Hondas...until I got the sticker shock...then I came back to reality...if you have the coin then honda for sure,. If not I have have decent luck with a couple of brands. Heck I take a ill harbor freight special camping with me and it does just fine.

I bought a Honda EU3000 in 2008. I changed the oil shortly after it was new, and again three weeks ago. I know, I know, it just sits in the trailer, and its easily forgotten about until you are at an event when you are using it.
Have run it for days on end since. KOH's, Speedweeks, Lemons races, offroad races. I wish it had an hour counter on it. I would not be surprised if it had 1500 hours on it.
I have seriously used the hell out of it, and finally 3 weeks ago it had enough and I had to have it serviced, carb had finally gummed up enough from this shitty modern gas.
$97 to clean it up, tune it up, clean the carb, from the Honda Service center.

Always easy to fire up, and runs so quite its not funny, and is a gas miser. We'll run nearly all weekend on 7 gallons
I'm pretty sure I paid $2300 for it from Northern Tool, where they are $1999 today.

You should buy one that fits your budget, but if there is anyway to stretch and get one of the Honda EU series, they will pay for themselves in their Eco-throttle gas sipping, the quiteness, and apparent ability to not need to be maintained for 7 years. molaugh

Another for the Honda. No on the cheap "construction" generators from Lowes, HD, and Harbor Freight. They are L-O-U-D.

Have always owned Honda, still have one of the older models but it has give up several years ago from just being used bunches. I have looked at all the models talked about here but don't want to buy 2 2000 just because I don"t want to mess with 2 units. Looks like I'm getting another Honda

Will a 3000 run a camper with ac/heat, fridge, and lights?

Have looked at Northern tool at the northern star with Honda motors also. My budget is I don't want to break the bank but still want a good one. I don't mind spending $2,000 if its really what will work best for me. If the power goes out at home, like it does most every storm since I am on the end of the line and way in the country, I can hook the welder up if its going to be a few days and just run the entire house.

Also to add. What are the differences in these listed below.
EU2000I and the EU2000I companion

EU3000IS and the EU3000 Handi On these the gas tank and plugs are different and I think that is all

We always linked two of the 2000 Hondas together to run my buddy's camper. I also used one for work for a while and never had an issue with it.

My dad has a 1000 Yamaha that looks almost identical to the Honda inverter but it hasn't been used enough to tell how well they hold up.

wont work said:
Have always owned Honda, still have one of the older models but it has give up several years ago from just being used bunches. I have looked at all the models talked about here but don't want to buy 2 2000 just because I don"t want to mess with 2 units. Looks like I'm getting another Honda

Will a 3000 run a camper with ac/heat, fridge, and lights?

Have looked at Northern tool at the northern star with Honda motors also. My budget is I don't want to break the bank but still want a good one. I don't mind spending $2,000 if its really what will work best for me. If the power goes out at home, like it does most every storm since I am on the end of the line and way in the country, I can hook the welder up if its going to be a few days and just run the entire house.

Also to add. What are the differences in these listed below.
EU2000I and the EU2000I companion

EU3000IS and the EU3000 Handi On these the gas tank and plugs are different and I think that is all

Is the camper 50 amp or 30 amp. If it is a 30 amp camper it should be good as long as you aren't running everything at once. 3000 watts on 120 vac is 25 amps.

I like Generac. All they make are generators and they do it well. They aren't the least expensive by any means, but I've had my 7500 watt generator for 5+ years and it's still running strong. I had a Coleman brand before with a Honda engine and it was a nice machine also, went with General when I needed something a little bigger.

kmcminn said:
Is the camper 50 amp or 30 amp. If it is a 30 amp camper it should be good as long as you aren't running everything at once. 3000 watts on 120 vac is 25 amps.

30 amp

If you got the coin go with the honda. Everyone else camping near you will also be happy :****:. I hate trying to sleep with a generator running wide open all night long.

Yes! thats the whole purpose of the Honda, you cant hear it run from inside the camper, i got a 3600 Generac and you can hear it 3 miles away! no good at 2 am in the morning! you can buy 2 of the 2000 watt ones for about the same price as the 3000 watt, so it would be better to have the two of them and have a 1000 more watts, there are little and light and easy to get around!

I've got the yamaha version of the inverter generators. Basically the same as the Hondas. Very quiet but pricey. Spend the jack and never look back.

I had a 5000 watt running my 18' camper. We put a car muffler on it and ran a tailpipe up 8' in the air and it was still retarded loud on the ground. laughing1

What would be sweet is if you could find an onan out of a motor home that somebody upgraded and stick it on your camper. :dblthumb:

Bought a new motor home last year, it has a onhan( now owned by cummins) 3500 watts. Runs my motor home with ease. Can sleep on it with the exhaust up your ass and can't hear it run. But today I bought , from a traviling sales man, Honda 8 kw gas, 7 kw diesel, Honda pressure washer, Honda compressor, Honda 3 in trash pump . Every Honda cranks first pull! I have a generac 13 kw whole house generator on natural gas for standby, it is real quite.