• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Generators

LightBnDr

Who has what? What do you power with it? How long you had it? How many money's or peepee touches did it cost you?

Above all: Has anyone silenced a large generator w/o building an enclosure? What mufflers did you use? Realistically how close are you able to keep it to your camper after the mod?

Ready go......

Honda EU 3000is

$2150 after taxes and all. Found it online cheaper but the local Honda shop let me hook it up and test it first to see if it would run what I wanted so went ahead and bought from them.

You can use it as a chair if you want and carry on a normal conversation it is so quiet.

I run my enclosed which is part camper since it has 2 13,500 ac units and lights inside.

Also have it wired to run the lights in my house, water heater and microwave.

It is electric start and took me a while to spend the money on it but I do not regret it one bit. It barely uses any gas and easy to run and crank with electric start.

Yamaha has one that compares to it but Honda has never done me wrong and the reviews on it where all positive.

Re:

I have a honda eu2000 I use it to power my 9000 but ac and a tv and DVD and lights in my popup I got it from a pawn shop for 400 bucks and have put 100 hours or so on it and never had a problem I think there 950 new and it's 40 pounds and I keep it about 10 feet away from my camper

Joho....gay as all hell

Yeah been reading up on the EU series. Ive used one also and pretty sweet little gens. Really not wanting to let go of 1k

Karate josh, you say you set it 10ft from your pop-up or you have a hard camper now?

Anyone ever silenced a 4000w work generator?

Re:

It's a soft side tent camper and you can hear it but barely just depends on how much load you put on it I would say with the ac on 10 or 15 feet away you can't hear it over the fan on the ac

I tried to quiten down our old Honda 3000. Don't think exhaust is the problem. Just the motor running and the gen set are louder then you think.

i have 2 champion 2000 watt inverters that we bought they came with the parallel kit and covers for 1200 they are quiet and the are safe for computers and such

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree about the challenges of quieting a conventional gen.

Thanks sappmann. Your response made me research the difference between inverters and conv generators. Lol

Looks like I'm in the market for an inverter. I was surprised to see cabelas carries them for less than $500

Anyone using Onan's ?

http://t.tractorsupply.com/en/store/champion-power-equipmenttrade%3B-3500w-4000w-portable-generator
My brother and I have had 3 of these generators for 6-7 years now. We have ran them under a load for a week straight in the middle of summer more times than i can count. I actually had a Honda EU2000 while it was a great generator it just wasn't big enough for the campers and trailers. I ended up selling my Honda after not using it for a year after i bought the first champion.

Never had a single issue out of any of the 3. A little stabil in your fuel, keep the airfilter clean, and change the oil once in a blue moon. They always start right up and are very quiet for the $.

^^^^ I'm sure it does it's job! but trying running that loud mo Fo in the middle of the night in a camper! you and everybody will want to shoot yourself!

I had an old loud as fawk coleman powermate that I used on my camper at dega. I welded a car muffler on it and had 8' of tailpipe straight up in the air. It was still loud as hell, not so much exhaust noise, just engine noise and cheap quality rattling junk, but for $80 at the pawn shop and $10 carb parts, it was worth it.

been thinkin bout the champion 3100 inverter, quiet as a Honda and half the price. I would like something quiet to power camper down in Kentucky.

Yeah it's pretty evident that a quality inverter is the way to go. Before this thread I really hadn't looked into any. I thought that Honda and Yamaha were the only ones building silent gens.

The diesel Onan sounds awesome. Don't think it's really designed for my app but still cool.

I researched a bunch about silencing a giant gen and pretty much everyone has the same experience. If you get exhaust down you get engine and gen noise. Then your only option is to build an enclosure and that just ain't gonna work for campin.

Keep it comin guys. Good info

zukimaster said:
^^^^ I'm sure it does it's job! but trying running that loud mo Fo in the middle of the night in a camper! you and everybody will want to shoot yourself!

68 db is not loud. I never have it more than 10 -15 feet away from my trailer or camper and you can barely hear it humming outside. I promise you it was barely louder than my 2Kw honda

I have a 5K Onan in my camper and you feel the vibration more than you hear it. I have tried to quiet down a 10K Lincoln Ranger and the motor internals and generator set made so much noise that quieting the exhaust did nothing.

Picked up a Honda 2000i today. Gonna give it a whirl on mem day weekend.

I gave up on silencing a giant.

Spose I'll report back after

Re:

You will be happy it's designed so well you can change the oil and clean the air filter in 5 min. With 1 screwdriver 1 thing you might Wana look into is a aux. Tank it has a fuel pump and is capable of pulling fuel from a biger can sitting next to it