• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How big is yours? I wanna know.

kushKrawlin

I would like to hear from y'all that have fuel cells. What size do ya have and how often do you fill up? If you have pics feel free to post them up also. Bout to get my parts together and throw all my propane tanks in the lake... I made the mistake of riding in a buddies jeep with a LS. Holy Fukin moly. I had no clue. So now I'm on a mission.. Anyways. I was thinking about a smaller cell. But not sure ... Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

15. If I ride all day I usually burn about 10. Burn about 5 during a race.

kushKrawlin said:
I would like to hear from y'all that have fuel cells. What size do ya have and how often do you fill up? If you have pics feel free to post them up also. Bout to get my parts together and throw all my propane tanks in the lake... I made the mistake of riding in a buddies jeep with a LS. Holy Fukin moly. I had no clue. So now I'm on a mission.. Anyways. I was thinking about a smaller cell. But not sure ... Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

It depends largely on how you ride.

I would always burn a ton of fuel and have to run back to the trailer for ne tanks. Then I met a group of guys that I started riding with a lot. It turned out that they would all go up an obstacle and then stop to drink beer for a few hours between each. When I rode with them I wouldn't even burn a whole tank. They drank more beer than they burned fuel! That's when I realized that a "day of riding" to one man isn't the same for all. Eventually that group petered out and I started riding with a different group that didn't drink at all. Back to burning through tanks quick again.

I run a 15 gallon tank and usually burn at least 10 in a day. Really 15 should be fine. Here's your problem... last ride I went on mine started leaking on the welded seam. So did two other of my buddies. One was a RCI and two were summit tanks. One was a square tank and two where stand up rectangle tanks. There isn't a baffle in them. I'm currently playing with the idea of cutting the top off mine and putting a baffle in the middle. Maybe even welding some pieces of aluminum angle iron down the seams for reforcement. It needs to be mounted on some sort of rubber mounts and can't be squeezed to tight once mounted. Foam is another option. If you don't do some sort of reenforcement it's only a matter of time before it cracks on the seam.

I believe that the el cheapo aluminum tanks are not thick enough for the bouncing around that we do. I think all aluminum cells in buggies should be custom made out of 1/8 or thicker aluminum.

truckbroke said:
I run a 15 gallon tank and usually burn at least 10 in a day. Really 15 should be fine. Here's your problem... last ride I went on mine started leaking on the welded seam. So did two other of my buddies. One was a RCI and two were summit tanks. One was a square tank and two where stand up rectangle tanks. There isn't a baffle in them. I'm currently playing with the idea of cutting the top off mine and putting a baffle in the middle. Maybe even welding some pieces of aluminum angle iron down the seams for reforcement. It needs to be mounted on some sort of rubber mounts and can't be squeezed to tight once mounted. Foam is another option. If you don't do some sort of reenforcement it's only a matter of time before it cracks on the seam.

Strap the tank down and do not use the tabs in the corners to tie it down.

^^^^ Kinda what I was thinking as well. I thought about having one made out of 1/8 or 1/4 wall and welding my top onto it. The store bought aluminum tanks leaking is definitely a ongoing problem for many rigs. Leaking fuel all over the place SUCKS and is an easy way to watch your rig go up in flames...

JohnG said:
Strap the tank down and do not use the tabs in the corners to tie it down.

I even have mine strapped down with two ratchet straps so it wouldn`t rub and chafe. For what it worth if you have an aluminum cell keep a stick of Laffy Taffy with you. the big sticks.. :****: It works WAy better than soap. We fixed two in Harlan one year like this. The soap dissipates but, the taffy will sill it up real nice. Guys rode two more days with No more leaks.

Re:

When I was looking at going to gas and getting a cell I liked the idea of the goatbilt set up. 18 gal poly cell and uses stock gm in tank pump so it's easy to find replacements at any parts store and I know several of people who've ran there trucks out of gas and the pump didn't burn up.
https://goatbuilt.com/product-category/ibex/fuel-tank/fuel-tank-kits/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

onepieceatatime said:
When I was looking at going to gas and getting a cell I liked the idea of the goatbilt set up. 18 gal poly cell and uses stock gm in tank pump so it's easy to find replacements at any parts store and I know several of people who've ran there trucks out of gas and the pump didn't burn up.

That's what I would do.

Yeah it costs a bit more, but it's just too easy.

Re: Re: How big is yours? I wanna know.

truckbroke said:
Wouldn't use foam. The fuel will break it down and cause all kinds of issues to pick ups and pumps.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:

Kush,
Better check this link. They have some "B" versions listed that fit a factory GM pump. $149 is a good price IMO

Only other thing I have to add is that RCI will double weld your tank if you tell them the application. When my first one leaked pretty early on, I called for warranty and the guy offered to make the replacement stronger once he knew what I was doing with it. Basically said that since people use them for so many applications, they don't double weld because most have zero issues. (street truck, boat, etc). If you call and ask for it, they do it for free...takes a week longer. I've been over 2 years on mine with no leaks.