• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

izzy thread

so when can we assume this happened? spring is on its way... that will determine whether or no there will be more slides. hopefully it dries up nicely.

The trail doesn't go all the way to the lake, and the spooky sidehill spot that overlooks the big dropoff is basically the end of the trail for 4x4's so you've already been up to the end unless you want to tackle that part too. :D

The trail doesn't go all the way to the lake, and the spooky sidehill spot that overlooks the big dropoff is basically the end of the trail for 4x4's so you've already been up to the end unless you want to tackle that part too. :D

yea, i meant just hike up it. i never like leaving my rig anywhere out of my sight up at reiter though.

Well thats cool, I finished the trail and didn't even know it. I did try to drive that spot but it was extremely scary (especially solo) and I backed out VERY carefully. How much further is the lake from there then? I guess it won't even be possible to drive that far now?

How well do you think that closure, realistically, would be obeyed?
I can tell you that if it's not obeyed, and is caught, the DNR will be compelled to take steps to see that it is obeyed.

It all depends how much money they want to spend to enforce the closure. Either they can spend lots of money to make an impassable closure at the boundary, or they can make the DNR do a closure further down.

I can tell you that if it's not obeyed, and is caught, the DNR will be compelled to take steps to see that it is obeyed.

It all depends how much money they want to spend to enforce the closure. Either they can spend lots of money to make an impassable closure at the boundary, or they can make the DNR do a closure further down.

as usual, you speak the truth crusty. this; an inconvenient truth.

so should we wheel it as much as possible until they say "no no" .. what's the deal w/ wild sky these days, anyway?

i need to finish my rig so i can go out there.

Thats always been my goal. Not many people have, I've been asking about it for years and only talked to one or two people who have actually seen the lake. The mysterious trail to nowhere...

I've been to the Lake :hi:
Hiked up with a pack and rubber raft. Paddled to the far side, set up camp, caught some major trout, ate them for dinner, drank beers, got rained on, packed up the next moring, paddled back, hiked back down.

There is a granite slab with a two-foot wide trench cut into it that regulates the level of the lake. Out of the trench and down a 300 foot (?) water fall. The trail you hike up to the lake (last 1/4 mile) is just to the south side of the waterfall. It's a steep sonofabitch but nothin you young fellas couldn't handle. :looser:

Izzy has changed dramatically. We drove up as far as we could today and walked to the bridge which I THINK is still there. As far as I can tell the bridge is what caused the damage..........There must have been some extremely heavy run off that swept LOTS of debrit down the creek. It looks to me like the bridge trapped the debrit and the creek took a new path around the new bridge/dam. I don't think the creek could ever be routed back to where it was by man without lots and lots of dynamite. Where this leaves us now is if we want to salvage part of the trail up to where the bridge is there need to be lots of labor both cutting out deadfall trees and moving boulders to try and route at least part of the creek in a more favorable direction, right now it Y's out. If we did this and built a new bridge then maybe some of the trail above the bridge could be used...
This is just my opinion and observation and things need to be looked at closer when the snow melts.

here is a video of float plane landing on the lake.
gives you a good idea of how big the lake actually is (you will want to turn the volume down to avoid the :rb: )

cool vid. thanks. that music made me want to dance hahaha.:haha:

it looks badass up there. too bad we cant make a loop trail around the lake. now that would be awesome. it's bigger than i thought.

Izzy has changed dramatically. We drove up as far as we could today and walked to the bridge which I THINK is still there. As far as I can tell the bridge is what caused the damage..........There must have been some extremely heavy run off that swept LOTS of debrit down the creek. It looks to me like the bridge trapped the debrit and the creek took a new path around the new bridge/dam. I don't think the creek could ever be routed back to where it was by man without lots and lots of dynamite. Where this leaves us now is if we want to salvage part of the trail up to where the bridge is there need to be lots of labor both cutting out deadfall trees and moving boulders to try and route at least part of the creek in a more favorable direction, right now it Y's out. If we did this and built a new bridge then maybe some of the trail above the bridge could be used...
This is just my opinion and observation and things need to be looked at closer when the snow melts.

Its nuts isn't .. But if you crossed where the bridge was--you would have sen what caused the whole mess--oh and I am on thne same page :awesomework:

here is a video of float plane landing on the lake.
gives you a good idea of how big the lake actually is (you will want to turn the volume down to avoid the :rb: )

[youtube]VOMUSZOmGDU&feature=related[/youtube]

Wow. You weren't kidding about the :rb: :puke:

Just had to go back

After last weekend, I've been thinking about Izzy from time to time throughout the week. So, with the weather being so nice today, I decided to button up a few things on the Jeep and head out to Reiter. Checked out Cable trail to see if the work we did last weekend was holding up (so far so good) and then on to Izzy. Since I had just installed a new Alpine deck in the rig, I had some kickass tunes to enjoy while mosying (sp?) up Izzy, and then....ah, yes, the point where we had stopped last weekend. Dismounted my steed, trampled up the rockery and had another look. While it was clear I couldn't go all that far, there was enough NEWLY REVISED TRAIL to get my jollies. So, psssht, psssht ARB's engaged, turned up the volume, and proceeded forward. Bouncity, bouncity, bounce, bounce. AND, well, got as far as I felt comfortable going without anyone else to assist should I get into trouble. Stopped, cracked open a cold one, and enjoyed the scenery. Snapped a few pics while I was up there. Thought ya'll might enjoy. P.S. I did notice one other set of tracks where I stopped. Whoever it was must have decided it was the end of the road for them as well.

reiter03_22_08007.jpg

reiter03_22_08005.jpg

Gosh darn, it felt good to be out on the trails again... :cheer:

That was the tracks from the group I was with on friday. We didnt have a saw so we didnt go any farther. Trails going to take a lot of work to get the creek back where it belongs:booo:

Looks good Terry, thanks for the pics. :cool:

So did you hike up from there at all? Lets hear some details about the revised trail as you saw them.......

Lets hear some details about the revised trail as you saw them

Where I stopped was just 'scratching the surface' (and no, I didn't hike further however, Mike, Jack and I did last weekend - journeyed to where the old bridge was)

If I remember correctly, beyond the point where I stopped today (a little further up), there a lot of large boulders (some creating walls of sorts), holes, deep water pools, misplaced old rotted trees (and some newer, uprooted ones) to be tackled.

The biggest concern that I can see is the creek or river has been re-routed into where the trail used to be dry. Hopefully this will dry up so the environmental impact won't be as much an issue. Other than that, the reality of the situation is that everything that has been transplanted to where pre-existing trail used to lie, is more or less uprooted and dead (or will be soon enough). All the natural carnage has exposed some gnarly rock that in some places will require finesse to overcome. Of course, I'm describing what wasn't covered by snow. Once the snow melts, we'll have a more accurate/complete picture of the future of this trail.

Last edited: