• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lets talk lockers...

Used to run a spool rear (60) and ARB front (44), Ran the ARB for 9 years and the only thing I had to replace was the O-rings in the diff. Now I am Detroits front and rear and love em. Steering radius is half of what iot used to be and I can't even tell the front one is there but both tires pull???? Can't tell the rear is there either unless I try to drive on the pavement like I was 18 again?:redneck:

Id spool the rear and aussie loc the front. Then wait til you can do a arb front. With 37's(er i men 36 sx's) i would do a 5.29 gear

I would put a selectable up front and weld the rear if ur are on the street. If your gonna off road only weld em both nothing beats it, the trick is if you wanna turn sharp just give it more gas.:D

for cheap lockrite up front and spool the rear. I've got a detroit in back and its a bit quirky on the streets. If i could do it over i'd rather spend the extra $$ for arb or ran a cheap spool instead of a detroit. .02

mjp1080 said:
I would put a selectable up front and weld the rear if ur are on the street. If your gonna off road only weld em both nothing beats it, the trick is if you wanna turn sharp just give it more gas.:D

That is true, even with detroits, if you wanna turn sharp, just goose it and the rig will pull itself around.

I have ARB's front and rear and haven't looked back.. but then again, My jeep used to be a daily driver/trail rig so I had to keep it manageable on the street.

I still go pretty much where everyone else does with lockers.. I don't beat my stuff up too bad, so they've worked for me very well.

If I did a trailier queen/trail rig only, I'd go with a detroit or spool in the rear and some sort of selectable up front..

I really like being able to turn off the front locker to have an easier time turning.

Dear group;
I've run quite a few different TADs in my day, except for the ARB and the Eaton E-Locker and I always seem to return to limited slips. I am currently using the Detroit Electrac front and rear on my Wrangler and Toyota LSDs front and rear on both the Hi-Lux and the FJ-40. And speaking quite honestly I prefer the limited slips over the lockers. The lockers are nice in situations where total traction is necessary but overall limited slip diffs provide adaquate traction in practically all situations except for full-blown rock or log crawling. I've found that those situations are fairly rare and when they do occur, I just unspool the cable for that extra bit of assistance. In the mud the limited slips actually are superior to lockers in that they don't allow the rig to become nearly as squirrelly on wet hard packed clay. I've had my Wrangler do many 360s and more in kinds of situations such as this. For an all-out locker, the ol' Detroit is very difficult to beat and those things are just downright tough. I've never had much luck with any of the lunchbox lockers.
Your friend;
LAMAR

On the Sammy's, a lot of people run the standard Lock Right front and rear. Originally I ran a spool and locker, but after shearing off the pins then twisting the splines I switched over a an ARB up front, but kept the spool in the rear. And now I can't see running anything other then the ARB in the front end. :D

The spool is nice because you never have to worry about what it is going to do. The only problem is you will push through a lot of corners you could make with a locker or selectible. Especially with the short wheelbase. And on mud, the Sammy will just plow right on through sometimes. :p

As for your 1.3L, that is a 55hp big block. Why would you want to swap it out? You push out almost 25% more power then my 970cc 4 cyl. Plenty of power for a trail rig. :p

I have a welded rear and I do daily drive it.

By and large, I agree with most of the above, but didn't see this mentioned regarding the spooled/welded rear:

IT WILL SUCK ON SNOWY TRAILS.

If you enjoy snow wheeling, especially in something as short as a Sammy, you will hate it. With an autolocker in the front and the rear welded, there were downhill situations where there just wasn't enough traction to let the front unlock which made steering nearly impossible.

Uphill, the rear end would go sideways REALLY easy. I know - "Duh." But I mean REALLY REALLY easy.

Other than that, I'd vote Spool/ARB.

I have air lockers front and rear. I rarely unlock the front, but always unlock the rear. I would not want to go back to a spool or detroit in the rear and plow through corners again

If you are going toy running gear how about a tacoma e-locker in the front? You would be well of to get and use one of those with 5.29 gears. No need to thank me for solving this quandry

JACKED944RUNNER said:
If you are going toy running gear how about a tacoma e-locker in the front? You would be well of to get and use one of those with 5.29 gears. No need to thank me for solving this quandry

what is the benifits of using the e-lock ?????