• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lets talk lockers...

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
and gears...

NOw in my previous rig, which was driven on the road I had 6.50s detroit/spool combo...

the only complaint i would have had with the set up is that it ate the rear tires......not that it mattered cause they were bald already.

I am in the market (soon) and thought it to be a good discusion, I am looking for your expereices as I only have the above. Prices would be good to.

installing into toy axles....

Thanks

Weld the rear...it's cheap and it always works.

Loc-rite the front...it's cheap and it works :redneck:

The Samy will be light enough...and no power...to where breaking the welded rear or loc-rite front will most likely never happen.

Jobless said:

The Samy will be light enough...and no power...to where breaking the welded rear or loc-rite front will most likely never happen.

Even if it ws heavy ----he won't break the welds :;

I agree go with a lockright in the nose but I would go with a detroit or spool in the rear...

But if I had my way

pssssssssst :cool:

keep in mind that it is also getting a tacoma 2rz swapped in with dual cases, running 37s. So its not going to be a super charged sb but its also not going to be a 1.3 liter(40HP) pos:D

crash said:
Even if it ws heavy ----he won't break the welds :;

I agree go with a lockright in the nose but I would go with a detroit or spool in the rear...

But if I had my way

pssssssssst :cool:

I amnot afraid......I am in a budget though.....

Other than the turning radius, I'm very happy with the detroit up front and spool in back combo.

If I had it to do over again (and I may, depending on the condition of my detroit when I take the front-end apart to find out what's making all the racket), I would save my pennies and put an ARB up front and keep the spool in the back.

Jobless said:

I welded my rear. It broke the case in half eventualy
I had a loc-rite in the front. I broke all the pins and one side gear after 6 years of abuse.

Now I have a front detroit and a rear spool and they work beautifuly. I'm runing a LCE 22re wich has similar power to the taco 4 poper and the only thing I break now is r&p sets every year and a half or so

Just some food for thought:D

I have always been fascinated with the PSSSST.....however I am also a little weary of the lines and compressor and of course the cost.....I seem to remember being stuck behind a few guys with broken lines, failed compressor. Although with the crowd I was runnin with I was stuck alot.:haha:

I just havn't been convinced...yet that the ARB are worth the time and coin.

TB-F said:
I welded my rear. It broke the case in half eventualy
I had a loc-rite in the front. I broke all the pins and one side gear after 6 years of abuse.

Now I have a front detroit and a rear spool and they work beautifuly. I'm runing a LCE 22re wich has similar power to the taco 4 poper and the only thing I break now is r&p sets every year and a half or so

Just some food for thought:D

Jack has a Sammy...not a yota...it's alot lighter and way less power. Can you get less power than a yota :haha:

Scratch that...I see he's swapping the motor.

Jobless said:
Jack has a Sammy...not a yota...it's alot lighter and way less power. Can you get less power than a yota :haha:

He said he was puting a taco engine in it. But yes, it will be lighter.

I've got Detroits f/r on my daily driver. I don't have any problems, you just have to get used to driving with it's quirks.

It isn't bad, just different.

I would like to go selectable in the front eventually.

Another thing, if you break shafts under power, It tends to take out the side gears in the detroit. Lockrights are more forgiving to this phenominon.

Jeepless said:
I have always been fascinated with the PSSSST.....however I am also a little weary of the lines and compressor and of course the cost.....I seem to remember being stuck behind a few guys with broken lines, failed compressor. Although with the crowd I was runnin with I was stuck alot.:haha:

I just havn't been convinced...yet that the ARB are worth the time and coin.

None of those rigs were built by crashfab :D In 10 years I have had 2 air line failures and one was due to rusing getting my full hydro done (brad was on that walker work party :flipoff: )

crash said:
None of those rigs were built by crashfab :D In 10 years I have had 2 air line failures and one was due to rusing getting my full hydro done (brad was on that walker work party :flipoff: )

I remember one at Reiter too...the 1st time I wheeled with ya years & years ago :flipoff:

Jobless said:
I remember one at Reiter too...the 1st time I wheeled with ya years & years ago :flipoff:

tHAT was the first and to this day I cannot figure just HOW in the hell that happened---your bad luck :kissmyass: But then again--I ran soda pop canned diffs too :D

If money were no issue, I'd definately put a selectable up front, and in the rear either a Detroit or selectable. I would not weld as I'd be afraid to kill turning radius, not to mention eating tires on the street if you're gonna drive it.

Currently running Detroit rear, Lockrite front, and it works, but the lockrite eats turning radius for lunch (hey that's sort of a pun :D ).

I have a spool in the rear and a arb front and it works pretty daam great, I have run a lockwrong in front and also a toy elocker:mad: up front. Did not care for the elocker as it took way to long to engage and disengage, the lockwrong worked pretty great untill it eats the "shear" pins and they take out ur ring and pinion. Gotta be something wrong when they send extra "shear" pins with a product, its like well we designed this to fail so here are ur spares :rolleyes: . stan

I will be going to a ARB in the rear also down the road, just to get bac ksome turning radious but the spool works great. I have seen several welded rears break and take out R&P also, I feel a spool is a lot stronger and will not go back to welded again:flipoff: .

Last edited:
I currently have ARB's with stock steering they seem to get the job done and I like being able to turn them off... but I am in the process of move to Detroits with full hydro 60's... so bring this topic up this time next year and I will let you know what i think.