• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My long awaited build thread...

Six-Nine

Here is a link to the Crash's album where the progress pics are being kept-

http://rdsd.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album24&page=1

Crash is doing the fab work for me and will also be doing all of the wiring, brake lines and fuel cell plumbing. Dean @ Bent metal customs built the axles and set me up with the parts for the rear discs. My plan is to help do as much of the grunt work as possible.

The rig: 90yj, started life as a 4cyl model. Has a cage that will work for now, needs to be tied into the frame and tub. Running waggys up front w/shackle reversal and flipped xj's for the rear(for now he he he) full width d60's. Full hydro, Psc H.O pump & reservoir. High steer arms, Chromo center link. Bought my Hydraulic cylinder and Orbital locally. 15 gallon Fuel cell from Summit racing.

The power train: 4.0 (from my XJ), Ax-15, 231 crawl box mated to a STak 2speed, 1350 flanges and yokes, haven't decided who will be building the driveshafts shafts yet. Allied beadlocks w/42x14x17 Iroks.

So so far here is what I have for Axles: Front Hp d60, 5.38's, Detroit, 35 spline alloys (inners & outers). Rear is sort of custom...Has a d60 center section, New 3 1/4 X 1/2 wall Dom tube mated to 14 bolt full float outers, Yukon 35 spline alloys, full spool and 3/4 ton disc brakes. 69" wms to wms f/r.

I am sure there is more...

Ok--I'll post pics for better viewing :awesomework:

Here is how it looked when we rolled it off the trailer

joe1.jpg

joe2.jpg

Ahhh--60's :D

joe3.jpg

Here is the 4.0 that came out of joes XJ

joe4.jpg

And now the motor is finally mounted in place for good :cheer:

joe19.jpg

joe20.jpg

joe21.jpg

I put the motor as far forward as I could with just enough clearance to the electric fan--will be close but will be just peachy..

bye bye ya turdling 30---ya it only took me 10 minutes to rig it out :D

joe22.jpg

joe23.jpg

And then removed the rest of the spring mounts---more messy time :redneck:

The 60---just looks right there don't it :redneck:

joe24.jpg

Time to build the front end. I strethed the frame out a bit. So incorpurated into the front is the bumper/spring mounts and winch mount...

joe25.jpg

joe26.jpg

joe27.jpg

joe28.jpg

joe29.jpg

So I tossed the springs back under it to figure out how I wanted to do the shackle mounts since the springs needed to be out boarded...

joe31.jpg

joe32.jpg

joe33.jpg

And here is how my shackle mounts turned out. The shackles are rear XJ shackles and worked out perfectly :awesomework:

joe34.jpg

joe35.jpg

joe36.jpg

joe37.jpg

joe38.jpg

joe39.jpg

joe40.jpg

So now that the front was sitting--it was time to tear the rear--ha ha---35 out. well that took me 15 minutes due to a stuck/bound up u-bolt,,,,the bastard :redneck:

joe43.jpg

joe44.jpg

Yup--you guessed it--it was another MESSY time :cheer:

And here comes another 60 :awesomework:

joe45.jpg

And a little history--the rig was origionally start by sam (lincolnlock) and the rear bumper was already made/rear tub cut and the rear frame rails. I didn't like how the rear rails were cut so I lengthened the rear frame 2". And here is how the rear turned out.

joe46.jpg

joe47.jpg

joe48.jpg

joe49.jpg

joe50.jpg

So the origional plan was to run waggies in the rear(has waggies up front) but after talking with joe--he suggested a XJ rear leaf--it was a little longer(which I like) and the center pin was only 1/2" longer than waggy's. well the only downfall was the fact of how they sat(taller) than the waggy's. Well here is how I am helping that out. Chopped a notch into the frame

joe51.jpg

joe52.jpg

joe53.jpg

joe54.jpg

And built the side plates

joe57.jpg

joe58.jpg

joe59.jpg

joe60.jpg

joe61.jpg

And now joe can drag the frame down something with no drop due to a spring perch---should work like a champ :awesomework:

And due to the WB I am trying to hit--the rear spring will be out past the bumper--the same way sam has done his..

joe62.jpg

Amd here is something that should revolutionize the off road market---floating shackles :fawkdancesmiley:
Actually I just set the rear ride hiegth till I can get the t-case in.

joe63.jpg