• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My long awaited build thread...

Ok so the next thing I decided to tackle was getting the rear end done or close to it...
So I finished setting the rear housing where I wanted it(was off 1/8"--that kills me,lol) and set the rear u-joint angle. At the same time I figured out where I wanted the track bar mount at. Tacked it all into place and dropped the rear diff out and welded it all up. At the same time I cut them LONG u-bolts down and put the brake hoses on and secured them to the spring plate. So as for the rear end all thats left is the track bar and brake lines(shocks wil be after I am able to drive it and ramp it)

joe159.jpg

joe160.jpg

joe161.jpg

joe162.jpg

So today I got a few things done. First was to cut them 10ft long u-bolts down,lol.. I also did the brake hoses the same way I did with the rears and checked them from turning left to right--they worked perfect..

joe164.jpg

So since I had a tie rod--oh and I have a ram I figured it was probably time to do something about that little steering issue--since I figured joe might enjoy the rig a little more with steering(well thats just a guess as I think at this point he would be happy sitting behind the wheel making vrrrm vrrrm noise's and yelling at invisable people in his way,lol).
But in any case here is how the ram turned out. Since the axle was stil full width it gave me enough room to run the ram over top of the housing. Needless to say joe should not have any issues with his steering.. One thing I gotta get tommorow are some grade 8 bolts to replace the too short grade 2 bolts that are holding the diff cover on..

joe165.jpg

joe166.jpg

joe167.jpg

The clearance turned out AWSOME and its a very nice tight fit--with no binding of the ram from lock to lock..... So I have my list of needed hydro stuff and tommorow I will hopefully be able to get the rest of the needed items to finish the setup...

Mike,
Looks nice, but if it was mine (and I know I'm knitpicking here), I'd replace those goofy cotterpin-clippy-thingies and the pins for something a little more permanent looking
T.

Mike,
Looks nice, but if it was mine (and I know I'm knitpicking here), I'd replace those goofy cotterpin-clippy-thingies and the pins for something a little more permanent looking
T.

Thats just temp tony--I tried that setup like 5 years ago and they failed very quickly,lol. they will be good to go once I get the ram removed to limit its travel...

You actually tried that? You're braver than I. The top of the cover bolt looks like a tight clearance between the tie rod. Going to use a castle nut setup? I've drilled quite a few nuts for cotter pins with good success.

You actually tried that? You're braver than I. The top of the cover bolt looks like a tight clearance between the tie rod. Going to use a castle nut setup? I've drilled quite a few nuts for cotter pins with good success.

You should see how mine is done :awesomework:

Ya well when I went full hydro--there were only a few guys running it in the area and most of them were snort members,lol...

Ok so the next thing to do was fix a little problem I happen to notice. One thing about the press on style pulley's---the outer edge of the pully must be flush with the pump main shaft.

joe168.jpg

As you can see its a tad off which could cause the belt to chirp(we had this problem on the chev's in 2000-2004).

Then next I got the power steering cooler mounted. It was pretty easy once I got the cooling fan removed.
joe169.jpg

And here are the lines at the pump and orbital. One thing I have done on a # of rigs is just have an end crimped onto the stock hose. It works perfect and no funky odd stuff needed..

joe170.jpg

joe171.jpg

And here are the lines down at the frame down to the ram

joe172.jpg

joe173.jpg

joe174.jpg

So I bled the system the best as possable without running the engine. Once that was done I fired off the motor and the pump didn't make a peep(or at least that I could tell with no exhaust on the rig). So now all I have to do are make a couple little things for the pins at the ram and the steering is now done. I started doing the brake lines at the front diff so once that is done I can toss the tires back on and drop the front on the ground.

hey crash support the ram mount more. I have seen rams rip diff cover off before. Is there any way you can tie the cover into the tube?