• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmissions!?!

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
I'm also changing all the u-joints in the front and rear d-shafts. ;D

Have fun with that, although I am sure you have a press to help. I used a BFH and brute force to do the rear joints. Took all damn day and it sucked royally. Go back with some greasable spicers, mine used 1410's. Post up some pics and details on the tranny upgrade, that is good tech as lots of folks here have dodge tow rigs..

Matt O. said:
Have fun with that, although I am sure you have a press to help. I used a BFH and brute force to do the rear joints. Took all damn day and it sucked royally. Go back with some greasable spicers, mine used 1410's. Post up some pics and details on the tranny upgrade, that is good tech as lots of folks here have dodge tow rigs..

I am not fooling with them! I just dropped them off at my local driveshaft shop. There was a "catch" in my front cv so I'm glad I took it to him anyway.

Aight, update! Went to lunch today to pick up some tools from another friend and while I was out Greg (guy helping me) came by and by the time I got back had the damn thing torn down! Literally 20 mins. So I gots no tech for that. I will say 3rd gear was toast! But other than that everything else is fine. So we are going to rule it torque converter failure. After I got back we went to where he used to work and put the case and the overdrive housing in a steam tank. While we were there we rebuilt the overdrive unit. So no pics or tech of that (didn't realize we would be doing that either). So all I can say to everyone is that I still have no clue as to how to rebuild an automatic transmission! ;D I am going to get all the hard parts cleaned up tomorrow so we can do the rest of the rebuild friday sometime. As for the driveshafts, waiting on u-joints. My guy only had a couple of the ones needed so waiting on UPS. :p

Well I got it rebuilt. Sorry no pics or tech but to say the least that **** was simple! Lots of parts, just need to put it together like it came apart. And make sure it's really really clean! So I ended up having to get two extra parts after we tore it down, which consisted of the direct drum and one bearing. Both had a little more wear than what we liked so we went ahead and replaced them. I'm going to try to get it put in tonite so I'll know what type of job we did rebuilding it. ;D

If it works you are my hero - the inside of auto transmission make me want to :puke:

DONE!!!! Man this thing is awesome so far. Firmer shifts and better take off. Haven't got on it yet due to break in period. Not sure how long that is supposed to be but I guess a couple hundred miles? :dunno: Then we'll see what it'll do! Gonna drive it around some tomorrow just Because I love my truck! But first I'll check all the fluids and stuff like that! ;D