• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3d game modeling

nutswinger

Good afternoon all,
Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Dennis, I'm a 2d/3d CAD (solidworks/inventor/autocad) and game modeler.
For a simulator called Rigs Of Rods I started making off-road vehicles.
Right now I have 1 finished vehicle, a Jeep wrangler JK, Wich I modified to be more suited for rock crawling: http://www.rigsofrods.com/repository/view/4317
I am currently working on a Jeep Comanche, It has front and rear dana44 (might model some dana 60's thoug) here are a few images of the 3d model:

001-38.png

001-39.png

Although, what i'm here for is that I've encountered a problem with the rear tyres rubbing (going trough) the frame, and I wondered how people (you guys) would fix this in real life?

Here's an image of the wheel running trough the frame(everything is the wrong colour I know, it was a quick test):

screenshot_95.png

So, how would you people go around a fix this? Thanks in advance :) .

In real life theres a few fixes.
1.Narrow the rear end
2. limit straps to keep it from flexing into the frame.
3. adjust the four link so you don't have any rear steer and make sure your pivoting from the center.
4. don't be driving up a wall like that.

kid rok said:
In real life theres a few fixes.
1.Narrow the rear end
Thanks for your input :) .

I was thinking about simply make a custom rear frame, but the bed needs to be put on there as well.
I already narrowded the frame roughly 5 inches
kid rok said:
2. limit straps to keep it from flexing into the frame.
I'll try this along with some anti rollbars

kid rok said:
3. adjust the four link so you don't have any rear steer and make sure your pivoting from the center.

Making it pivot at the center only made it worse.

kid rok said:
4. don't be driving up a wall like that.

laughing1

Hard to tell how bad its rubbing but in real life situation I would prolly let it clearance itself or rub a little. Frame rails are flat and tires flex a little. Sawzall and sledgehammer will adjust the bed.

BUG-E J said:
Hard to tell how bad its rubbing but in real life situation I would prolly let it clearance itself or rub a little. Frame rails are flat and tires flex a little. Sawzall and sledgehammer will adjust the bed.

Well, the tire goes trough the frame roughly 2 inches.
Although I got it somewhat fixed now:

screenshot_97-1.png

I added a swaybar and added some limiting strap equivalents.
I also modified the framerails some more, i made them thinner near the wheels, pictures soon :) .

thats pretty cool... the closest thing to a fun off roading game I have played was tomb raider jeep game. I would love a crawlin hill climbin game!

skipnrocks said:
thats pretty cool... the closest thing to a fun off roading game I have played was tomb raider jeep game. I would love a crawlin hill climbin game!

Yeah it is pretty cool, the game engine can simulate nearly everything, boats, planes, helicopters, cars etc.
Here's an example of what you also can do:

screenshot_98-1.png

screenshot_99-1.png

screenshot_100-1.png

Sophisticated suspension geometry also no problem.

Another crawling type game on iPhone is Hondune's Truck Trials. It's not the best out but it will pass some time.

SilverStarCustoms said:
Another crawling type game on iPhone is Hondune's Truck Trials. It's not the best out but it will pass some time.

Yep, I know that game, someone from the Rigs Of Rods forum made it :) .