• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clips versus Magazine

L

lowbudgetjunk

Small pet peeve of mine. Since the Miscellaneous Forum opened up, the term clip has been misused quite frequently.

http://www.minutemanreview.com/2008/09/clip-vs-magazine-lesson-in-firearm.html

Magazine%2B-%2Bvs%2B-%2BClip.jpg

Many new shooters do not realize this, but there is a difference between a "clip" and a "magazine".

I am not uptight over the issue, but I respect the need to use correct terms. Most professionals and weapons experts know the true definitions, so here's my shot at helping to educate new shooters.

You can see the differences between clips and magazines in this picture (Click on picture to enlarge). I own this picture. Please feel free to use and share this picture as long as you state where you got it from with a link.
From left to right: AR15 magazine, .223/5.56 stripper clip, Glock 22 magazine, SKS stripper clip, Ruger 10/22 "banana" magazine, M1 Garand en bloc clip.

A magazine is what is used to feed the weapon itself, whereas a clip is used to feed the magazine. Clips make loading of magazines much easier and faster, and in some cases, a clip is required in order for the magazine to work (e.g. M1 Garand).

Some magazines are removable (like in the case of all of the magazines pictured above), and depending on the design of the gun, it can have a fixed magazine. Most SKS's, bolt actions, shotguns, and Garands have fixed magazines.

In the case of "stripper clips", you simply "strip" the rounds off of the clip and into the magazine. In the case of the "en bloc" clip used by the M1 Garand, you simply place the clip into the fixed magazine and the clip stays in the mag as the weapon fires.

It is speculated that the confusion and misuse of the terms came about in the world of guns when troops who used the M1 Garand in the US Military started using other firearms and continued to used the term "clip" when referring to what was actually a magazine.

Whatever the reason for the incorrect use of the term, it's there and it is often misused by many new shooters.

Another term that is often misused is the term "bullet". Many people use that term to refer to the complete round/cartridge.

The bullet is simply the projectile that is fired from the weapon, and only 1 of 4 parts that a round of ammunition truly consists of (which includes the case, powder, and the primer).

Kinda like sell, sale, sail.. Or lack vs like molaugh

Thanks for the lesson, I know I've been guilty of using clip instead of magazine once or the times :dunno:

Me also.

I think YouTube will be the death of it all. And it will all be Obamas fault.

Speaking of Obama's fault, can Game Changer climb the fiscal cliff?

JohnG said:
Me also.

I think YouTube will be the death of it all. And it will all be Obamas fault.

Speaking of Obama's fault, can Game Changer climb the fiscal cliff?

If you would have mentioned fire, you would have covered everything. Close though.

after reading this I had to look back to make sure I had not got on Pirate. They piss about everything. This is a South East board, we miss use words, it OK. everyone know what your trying to say and most don't care if it's correct are not. besides I thought they where all clips till you install them in a gun :dunno:

Also how many of you have a HOT WATER HEARTER? :dblthumb:

KINGSNAKE said:
after reading this I had to look back to make sure I had not got on Pirate. They piss about everything. This is a South East board, we miss use words, it OK. everyone know what your trying to say and most don't care if it's correct are not. besides I thought they where all clips till you install them in a gun :dunno:

Also how many of you have a HOT WATER HEARTER? :dblthumb:

Pretty sure everyone was in good spirits on this one :flipoff1: