• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dad's stang...

mike awesome work buddy!
i seen the car several times this summer,and even in show.. your parents look happy,and were deffinatly excited to talk about the car..

and my thoughts are with you on your dads recovery.. my mother just had brain surgery nov. 2 to remove an aneurysm they found on a recent cat scan..its not easy to watch our folks go thru this kinda stuff.

Thanks Bill. Ya my dad just loves to go to car shows (and my mom has really enjoyed them).

Thought I would give an update since I have had many folks who are wishing him well.

He is doing good and the Chemo still drags him down (seems its doing it more now) but he bounces right back up. He has also started what he is calling the "purple wrist band team" against cancer for anybody who is interested.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/186127211468112/

So onto the pony. A few months back he had located a used stock carb for the car since it had what my dad referred to as a "non pony carb"--lol. He also hated the fact it did not have the right air cleaner on it.

So we talked and he wanted to know if I could get that carb on his car plus he was having trouble with how it was running. So he dropped the car off at my shop.

Here was the new pony carb.

dad587.jpg

So I gutted it like a pig....

dad588.jpg

A couple hours of work and its as good as new. The carb was actually in very good shape but a couple screw holes were damaged so I had to fix that. But overall the carb was easy (easier than a electric quadrajet).

dad589.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the 2 carbs with the new one on the right.

dad590.jpg

So I was going to slap it on but I found the spread on the carb holes different on the adapter/base that was on the car. Luckily I still had that box of goodies left in the shop and dug out the other base/adapter I had and yup it was the right one. I did have to modify it slightly to work.

dad591.jpg

The install went pretty smooth and I only had to modify a couple things. Luckily I made an adapter on the other carb for the accel linkage so all I had to do with the linkage was shorten the connector rod via the internal thread. It started right up once the float bowl filled and I adjusted it and runs perfect.

dad592.jpg

Painted the stock air cleaner and slapped it on---now that looks good. Took it for a spin and its ready...

dad593.jpg

got to burn off the old fumes..

nice work mike!! cant wait to see this car next summer...

i went to an all mustang show this summer your parents would like...

kinda small 250 cars allowed. called propsandponies (google it some cool photos, my son got his first trophy at this show for his stang. i need to upload a crap load of photos))!!
its at the museum of flight in bellingham..parked us on the runway right next to a p-51 mustang..all proceeds go to the museum..that car would get respect..

got to burn off the old fumes..

nice work mike!! cant wait to see this car next summer...

i went to an all mustang show this summer your parents would like...

kinda small 250 cars allowed. called propsandponies (google it some cool photos, my son got his first trophy at this show for his stang. i need to upload a crap load of photos))!!
its at the museum of flight in bellingham..parked us on the runway right next to a p-51 mustang..all proceeds go to the museum..that car would get respect..

Thanks Bill--I will tell him about that show when he gets here in a little while to get his car...

I thought I would update folks on my dad.

He went in for a CT scan again on wedsnesday and was supposed to start another round of chemo on friday but I had not heard any updates on the results of the scan (couple times that was not abnormal). So we had a gathering to wish my brother in law Don good luck at boot camp. Unfortunately we were late and my parents were leaving as we were getting there. My dad asked if we could go off and talk--I feared the worse..

He had gotten the results form the scan and the cancer is increasing in size (did not go into specifics) and he did not start chemo on friday.

He had said the numbness he was starting to get to his hands/feet was getting really bad and he was fearing he was going to end up in a wheelchair. His only words to this was "its about quality of life". He has an appointment this week with his doctor but I am sure if the damage to his nerves system can't be stopped he was going to stop it all together.

This hit me--but it did not sink in till he had one last thing to say before they had to leave "Son I want you to do a video for my services". All I could do was cry, hugged him and they left...---thanks for letting me share to this point.

I haven't given up and my dad hasn't either and If one person reads this and does something cool with/for your dad then I have achieved my reason for this....

I hope you all have a great new year..

I am sooo sorry to hear...What about alternative treatments that aren't so hard on the nervous system? (I'm sure all that has been researched though...)
We are praying for your family up here...

****!

you have the gift of this time with him, and i know how this is.

it's been 16 years since my mom passed. the same thing took her.

I am sooo sorry to hear...What about alternative treatments that aren't so hard on the nervous system? (I'm sure all that has been researched though...)
We are praying for your family up here...

Unfortunately with being at stage 4 most treatments won't work. They are unable to operate and remove the tumor from his colon so the cancer cells will only continue to spread.

thought are with you bud, hang in there

Thanks charlie

Prayin for your dad and family Mike that is heart breaking to hear

Thanks Sam

****!

you have the gift of this time with him, and i know how this is.

it's been 16 years since my mom passed. the same thing took her.

Thanks Troy... And I will enjoy that gift..

Today we celebrated our Christmas since my dad was not feeling well around the holidays. It was a great day and the whole family was there.

After the festivities we all sat around and my dad had some words to say--some I knew about some I didn't. As I had stated before he had stopped chemo. He has no desire to continue as the aftereffects were getting too hard to bear and he was facing ending up in a wheelchair if they were continue. He wants to spend what time he has left as best as he can.

He has a TON of sports stuff (Seahawks/Mariners) and he wanted to make sure if there was anything that any of us wanted to make sure to tell him. My olderst/younger sister started crying and asked if she could have his camera strap (one he has been using for years). I broke down and had to walk out and sat balling on the porch while my dad came out and we talked. At the end of our conversation I looked up and said "it really is a beautiful day", looking at the blue sky and my dad simply said "yes son, it really is". Before we went in he said "son, make sure to take good care of my pony". I smiled "I will dad".

We went back in and continued to talk.

He doesn't want to go into any hospice home so tomorrow some folks are coming over for my parents to discuss in home hospice care so my mom doesn't run herself into the ground trying to care for my dad.

He also wants to do 2 things. The first he is going back to Tennessee to see his brother one last time and he is hoping to feel good enough to do his annual trip to go see the Mariners spring training in Arizona and visit his sister in California.

So I am going to try and spend some good quality time with him. Since I rebuilt the carb he has not drivin his pony as he has not been able to which really broke my heart, He wants to go do some cruising so as soon as the weather gets decent I am heading out and taking him cruising.

I know this book/journey I have been on isn't over yet and I thank all of you for following along and the support I have gotten along the way.