• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Not just another TLT Build

JNK-RNR

Ok, so I started out awhile ago trying to figure out where I was going to go with this. At first I was going to learn how to build a tuber from scratch, but I dont have those skills yet. So I decided to buy a tuber frame and go from there. Thanks to Jeremey and his new business Blue Monster R/C I now have a place to start. He hooked me up with new servo plates, links, and the tuber powder coated with a color of my choosing. I am still in need of a ton of parts, and knowledge but I am going to take my time. Here is where I am at so far:

FRONT FLEX

normal_DSCF5822.JPG

REAR FLEX, needs some work, I need to figure out where it went wrong??

normal_DSCF5823.JPG

FRONT LINKS

normal_DSCF5825.JPG

REAR LINKS

and
normal_DSCF5824.JPG

and here is a top down shot

normal_DSCF5830.JPG
http://www.4-low.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10013/normal_DSCF5830.JPG

As you see I still have a tone of work, and parts to get. I still need to build up the axles, get a tranny, some tires, a motor, the drive shafts, battery packs, and a transmitter, all of which are up in the air.

I have some futaba servos and an ESC. Like I said a ton more to come.

Your build looks good.

I would move your lower links to the inside of the frame, you would most likely have tire rub on your links with them on the outside.

As for your flex in the front thats plenty in the rear it looks like you are binding on the top plate but you are not at ride height.

I B..

That looks sweet, Jeremy does good work.

I agree with I B Racin on the link location, and the amount of flex. Remember that the front and rear axles both flex together. It is strange that the rear is different than the front. You might try setting the chassis up on something close to ride height, and check again, as the links tend to bind when they are near the top of their travel.

I agree with IB and Todd, raise your chassis up to ride height and you'll see more flex. You only need 60-70* of articulation total. Some like even less than that. Some people think that 90* is good, but the truth is it will hurt you on the rocks in most situations. Keep up the good work and I like the tuber.
Nathan

Last edited:
Today I put the links inside the frame per the above suggestions, and nothing seemed to bind. I re-did the rear link mounts on the servo plate. What was happening was the angle of the link mount was causing the eyes of the links to bind, so I turned each one just a smidge and lined them up with the links, no more binding. I am looking for my shocks, wheels, and tires right now so that I can buy/trade for them and set it up at ride height. Pics will be posted soon.

normal_DSCF5862.JPG

normal_DSCF5864.JPG

normal_DSCF5865.JPG

normal_DSCF5859.JPG

normal_DSCF5861.JPG

normal_DSCF5866.JPG

Last edited:
looks good keep tweekin you will get it were you want it.

It looks like you added a spacer on the upper link mounts (outboard)you can order some conical washers from tower to help keep your ball joints from binding,if that is what the spacer is doing for you.

Last edited:
Got some goodies today:

Aluminum knuckles, aluminum adjustable shocks, wheels and tires. I should get my 55t motor in this week. Still trying to decide on tranny. Need wheel spacers, drive shafts and yokes, steering stuff..and last but not least the transmitter and reciever.

normal_DSCF5985.JPG

normal_DSCF5987.JPG

I am trying the r2 from rc4wd,very smooth tranny so far. Comes with a pinion gear that puts it at 30:1, 32 pitch gears,no external spur,very compact.Keeps the COG low,seems bullet proof.Mounting locations on three sides for multiple options. We will see what the brushless does to it on 3cell lipo pack.

I think they have raised the price to 79.00 since the pre-orders, 30.00 more than a pede. I think the advantages are well worth the price:D

hotwheels000 said:
I am trying the r2 from rc4wd,very smooth tranny so far. Comes with a pinion gear that puts it at 30:1, 32 pitch gears,no external spur,very compact.Keeps the COG low,seems bullet proof.Mounting locations on three sides for multiple options. We will see what the brushless does to it on 3cell lipo pack.

I think they have raised the price to 79.00 since the pre-orders, 30.00 more than a pede. I think the advantages are well worth the price:D

was eyeballing those lil units :cool:

I was going to mention the R2 Devlin, but haven't seen one yet to see how they stack up, or the strength. They look tough and are tiny. I think I'll have to put one in Brittany's TLT.:clappy: Dev, how is the gearing compared to the pede with the pinion you have?
Nathan

30:1 with the supplied pinion,it can go as high as 10:1. took it apart the other day,it appears to be tough as nails, all 32 pitch gears. Very simple gear reduction.

A liitle slow with the new brushless,compenating with 8 cells but I still want more wheel speed.(so I can keeep up with Todd):D but I cant gear any taller or the 400 series motor wont pull it. Going to use a different brushless as soon as they come in.That should do it.

So far I think this tranny is awsome---time will tell

never had a pede always ran the t-3 but those two are close in ratio so I give my vote to the r-2 over the t-3

Last edited:
:flipoff: Hey now, I'm no longer the wheelspeed king. I've been dethroned by Devon with the P2K. Nothing to say about that other than the results speak for themselves. Never would have believed how well it worked if I hadn't seen it myself (I'm sure operator skilz may have played a role, but a P2K ?!?!)

Well, I made it to Iraq, but I cannot say the crawler fared as well as I have so far. I had it packed in a box in a bag thinking it would be able to with stand a bit of weight. I was wrong the D/S upper shock mount busted off now I need to figure a way to repair it so I can drive on with the build. I am looking at filing off the powder coating around it where the mount is and JB welding it, and re-enforcing the otherside the same way.

Since my last post I have picked up the RC4WD R2 tranny and some allen head screws. I also picked up some wheel spacers. My steering is set up now. I am pretty much at the stage of mocking up tranny placement, speed controller and reciever. Once I get there I am going to start looking at battery options, custom packs, LIPO/NIMH options and what not. I will try to get some pics today to update visually where I am at.

Well the bondo did not hold the shock mount to the frame very well so I broke down and bought a Twisted Designs Falcon 2.2 Comp Chassis:
Falcon.gif

With that I purchased the 73 Ford Bronco body:
hpic7179.jpg

and the JATO shafts. Looks like the last piece of the puzzle is going to battery placement and purchase. I love the R2 Tranny I have and the Falcon 2.2 is already predrilled for it. So I will need put the tuber on hold until I return to the states:booo: , but it will live.

I have been running an R2 now for a couple months, and I found out they are good trannies with lathe motors, but with a powerful brushless motor, we grenaded mine at the last comp. I have decided that R2's and brushless don't mix.:redneck: Love the tranny other than that.