• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pistol Hunting

Flexy Backhand

something cool?
i turn 21 in a couple months and im hoping that my parents/sister/ and i are going to get me a nice pistol for my bday... i want two pistols actually.. i want a single action colt.45 any brand to get into cowboy action shooting,, but i want to start hunting deer with a pistol as well.. i looked at a ruger .44 mag but cant attach a scope to it..Im thinking more a 454 casull...anyone have exp with pistol deer hunting aor the 454 casull???

pics or casull raging bull and evil roy for action shooting :)

Attachments

• 454.gif
    454.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 454B.gif
    454B.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20322-1.jpg
    20322-1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 122
If you intend to hunt for meat, use a rifle.
If you intend to walk around the woods with a pistol on your hip, well that's OK too.

The effective range of a pistol is virtually the same as a modern compound bow, however the hunting season is the same as a modern firearm (rifle), ergo, you'll be the only fool in the woods hunting, without a rifle and the modern rifle scope that goes with them.

ps. If you do, use a 44 Mag. I prefer Smith & Wesson. Although I also like the Dan Wesson.

Why cant you attach a scope to the 44 ? The scope mount replaces the rear sight. I have a Ruger 44 Blackhawk with a 10" barrel and a 2x Bushnell on it. I have used this pistol in Wa and Montana for Muleys and its as good as any centerfire rifle out to 100 yds with a good rest. Here in WA. IF you do carry a handgun in the woods during hunting season it has to be of legal caliber,, :hi:

PS. its for sale...:awesomework:

Last edited:
IF you do carry a handgun in the woods during hunting season it has to be of legal caliber,, :hi:

Actually, that's probably not true any longer. As of a few years ago, pretty much any handgun was legal 'cept 22s. You can look it up in the regs, but even a .38 was OK.

Don't ask me why. I dunno.

Ever heard of Elmer Keith? I believe he hunted with a pistol.

Lots of folks can hunt with a pistol. But before ANY one hunts with a pistol, they should go to the range and try and hit a target at a 100 yds. I wouldn't give a plugged nickel that they are even on the paper 2 out of 3 shots. MOST people aren't that good. Yeah, a few are. But how many 21 year olds do you know that have the hour (or years) of practice?

Use a rifle. Hit what you're aiming at. I hate finding bloated carcasses of animals maimed during archery season. And don't take that wrong. Most archers know how to hunt. Most use good judgement. But I still find a carcass or two every season. Sometimes with the arrow still in 'em.

I stand slightly corrected..

from the 2008 big game regs, 2008..

Big game, except Cougar may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrle length of
4" per manufactures spec,, and fire a minimum .24 caliber centerfire cartrige. Cougar may be hunted with .22 centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game.......

A hunter can only use a hunting method that meets the equipment requirements of his/her tag to dispatch woonded game.....

What kind of price range you looking at for the hunting pistol?
price really not an issue, but hoping for under 6 bills..

If you intend to hunt for meat, use a rifle.
If you intend to walk around the woods with a pistol on your hip, well that's OK too.

The effective range of a pistol is virtually the same as a modern compound bow, however the hunting season is the same as a modern firearm (rifle), ergo, you'll be the only fool in the woods hunting, without a rifle and the modern rifle scope that goes with them.

ps. If you do, use a 44 Mag. I prefer Smith & Wesson. Although I also like the Dan Wesson.

Why cant you attach a scope to the 44 ? The scope mount replaces the rear sight. I have a Ruger 44 Blackhawk with a 10" barrel and a 2x Bushnell on it. I have used this pistol in Wa and Montana for Muleys and its as good as any centerfire rifle out to 100 yds with a good rest. Here in WA. IF you do carry a handgun in the woods during hunting season it has to be of legal caliber,, :hi:

PS. its for sale...:awesomework:
send me some info!! very intersted!!

Lots of folks can hunt with a pistol. But before ANY one hunts with a pistol, they should go to the range and try and hit a target at a 100 yds. I wouldn't give a plugged nickel that they are even on the paper 2 out of 3 shots. MOST people aren't that good. Yeah, a few are. But how many 21 year olds do you know that have the hour (or years) of practice?

Use a rifle. Hit what you're aiming at. I hate finding bloated carcasses of animals maimed during archery season. And don't take that wrong. Most archers know how to hunt. Most use good judgement. But I still find a carcass or two every season. Sometimes with the arrow still in 'em.

LOL im definately not gonna be not stick flinger.... im going pistol because where i hunt the longest shot possilble is right around 100 yards..usually alot less..and hitting and killing an animal is not going to be an issue at all...you would be hard pressed to find anyone my age or close to it that has put as amny rounds and time into shooting as I have.. i dont leave the house to hunt unless im damn sure I can hit something..just sold my 7 mag and looking for something a little more suited for my hunting style.. i do alot of walking usually on old old old roads and alot of dense brush, i ahve a 30-30 but its more of a collector/plinker for me now...

Look for the Super BlackHawk "Hunter" for single action. Or Redhawk for double action Ruger 44magnums that have scope rings in the box. BTW I really like my Colt 44mag. The Anaconda's don't have as good of a reputation as the python, but I don't care.

IMO, the .41 and .44 are the best for accuracy, I prefer the .44 Ruger Redhawk in the 7 1/2" barrel, I could be wrong, but I think all Ruger's can be scope mounted.

The best handgun I've shot was a custom 30.06 with an 8" barrel that was accurate 100+ yrds, which is exceptional for a handgun, all others are comparable to bow range as Tony stated.

The "Hunter" model have the barrel milled out for attaching rings.
SuperBlackhawkHunter.jpg

Where the standard models would need to be drilled and tapped to do it right.
SuperBlackhawk.jpg

But a BIG +1 on the 41mag. My dad just had his 6"blackhawk stolen. I probably shot that gun more then anyother I have ever touched.

Last edited:
We have 2 used Super Redhawks in .44 mag with scopes on them at work right now, I think they were in the $700 range if I remember right...

I like my Super Black Hawk 44mag. I am going to have it drilled and taped for a scope.

Loaded up some 300gr bullets and it shoots good........