• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 Horsepower upgrades?

BTW guys, I think I was wrong about the milling issue. The issue is not head mounting hardware alignment, it is intake mating alignment. It makes sense now that I think about it, too. Thus, to gain CR you can mill the heads only but going to far may cause mating issues with the intake. The intake can also be milled ot correct for this. Also, you can get valve - piston clearance issues by milling too far.

J. J.

Also, as to CR on a 6.0 going to L92 heads you need to check which 6.0 you have and which heads you had stock. I guess I was just kind of referrring to my LS2 this entire time which is what most of my research has been geared to for obvious reasons. But apparently the 6.0's had a wide range of CR's in stock form. Some will gain CR, some will loose CR by putting unmilled L92 heads on. My LS2 will lose CR without milling though. There is also a cam size limitation put on the engine by milling which varies by engine.

J. J.

I THINK the 821 are the LS3 and I KNOW 823 are the L92 heads. They're the same except for the intake valves. The LS3 valves are sodium-filled and lighter. Technically, the better valve of the two but makes a difference primarily only in very high performance, high RPM engines. You probably wouldn't even use the stock valves in such an engine anway. When I was shopping I didn't care which I got. The 823 are normally a little cheaper as a result of the valves. The heads I just got are 823.

J. J.

Just fired mine up yesterday. Its getting tuned tomorrow night, will hardly run above idle. Its getting way more fuel and air than the ecu thinks it should and ecu is going nuts.

If it runs half as strong as it sounds idling, I'll be very happy with it, and shouldn't get smoked off the line anymore.

Travis said:
Just fired mine up yesterday. Its getting tuned tomorrow night, will hardly run above idle. Its getting way more fuel and air than the ecu thinks it should and ecu is going nuts.

If it runs half as strong as it sounds idling, I'll be very happy with it, and shouldn't get smoked off the line anymore.

So what are the results?
Worth it or not

It made 296 hp and 303 tq at the rear tires. Not too bad. I imagine that would put 450-480 at the flywheel, but I haven't seen a firm number of typical drivetrain loss in our applications. Camo's 500 crank hp modded LS2 put down 327 hp at the rear axle shaft. He used a dyno that bolted to the wheel studs, so I assume that would read a little higher.

Oh, and from driving it just a little in the field, its fast as ****, and considerably stronger than before. :eat:

Travis said:
Oh, and from driving it just a little in the field, its fast as ****, and considerably stronger than before. :eat:

I'm sorry if I missed it but what mods have you done? Just L92's and cam? If so those numbers would seem to be right where I think most would expect you to be.

J. J.

Travis said:
It made 296 hp and 303 tq at the rear tires. Not too bad. I imagine that would put 450-480 at the flywheel, but I haven't seen a firm number of typical drivetrain loss in our applications. Camp's 500 crank hp modded LS2 put down 327 hp at the rear axle shaft. He used a dyno that bolted to the wheel studs, so I assume that would read a little higher.

What tires and wheels were you running when you dyno'd

WOW!!!!!!

It sounds like a lot of you guys are replacing and spending a lot more money than you need to to get the HP and TQ #'s. Why not find a trustworthy shop that specializes and know all about 6.0L motor's and knows how to give you the package you need at the price you can afford. From MILD to WILD depending on what you need it for and what you are doing with it?

Thats what i did. I looked for a year before finding the person i let touch my motor and tranny. I found a guy who could do just that for me and was a 1 stop shop for me and i think its the best money and time i have spent in my 17 year 4 wheeling career.

I wish you all the best. If you want to know what i did to mine and where i went PM me. Thanks and best of luck to you all. See You out on the trails.

patooyee said:
I'm sorry if I missed it but what mods have you done? Just L92's and cam? If so those numbers would seem to be right where I think most would expect you to be.

J. J.

L92 heads and intake, 90 mm throttle body, comp cam and valve springs, chromo pushrods, Mast Motorsports fuel rails, and Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.