• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

Thanks jim--it does look to be a t-90 and its definately a 3 speed otherwise there would be a 3rd shift fork for rev...

Im 90% sure that the original t-18 was swapped for a t-90. I'm trying to find my emails and reciepts for Advance adaptors to see what it says. IIRC, we went over this same discussion but it was a few years ago.

What's the problem that we're running into?

Im 90% sure that the original t-18 was swapped for a t-90. I'm trying to find my emails and reciepts for Advance adaptors to see what it says. IIRC, we went over this same discussion but it was a few years ago.

What's the problem that we're running into?

Minor issue I think--I will be out of the shop in a bit and have some pics to show ya.....

Thanks jim--it does look to be a t-90 and its definately a 3 speed otherwise there would be a 3rd shift fork for rev...

the t-90 and model 18 transfer is the most common stock units for the flattys. they typicly came with 5:38s in the axles (stock) and that also why the OD for a civillian model. T-18 4 speed trannys wernt avail til the 70so and late 70s at that and still wernt very common except in pickups and waggys.

Ok--so I got a clutch alignment tool and now the motor is ready to drop in..

gmb45.jpg

And while I was walking around--I tripped and bumped into the rig--and dang the fenders fell the heck off :haha:

gmb46.jpg

Oh and then one of the little people from under the stairs snuck out and threw the grill on :redneck:

So--here is where I ran into another problem. I never noticed it because I assumed all was good there. Now the plan was to toss the motor in temp to get the clutch fork figured out--but when I started looking at it before I threw the motor in--I found this...

gmb47.jpg

gmb48.jpg

On the housing thats around the input shaft to the tranny the throw out bearing is supposed to ride somwhat snug--well you can see there is 1/8" gap--ya the throw out bearing just flops around on the housing. Well that was only half of the problem. When the whole works is pushed back into place--the lip on the throwout bearing makes contact with the clutch fork.

gmb49.jpg

And what happenes is the clutch fork is not able to rotate (when you push on the fork its supposed to push on the throw out bearing hence pushing on the pressure plate. I am just glad I looked it over before I threw the motor in...

So now the question lies is just the throw out bearing wrong?

I had a tremendous problem with the throw out bearing and I finally took it to the guys at T&S auto in Milton. They're a small shop and do off road stuff. They even rent jeeps to go 4 wheeling...

Anyway, they said that they spent about 5 hours, trying different throwout bearings, ordering new ones, assembling, reassembling etc until they finally found one that works.
The bearing should be a standard Buick size but there are some different offsets. The instructions from AA made NO sense at all to me or them.

I checked the reciept. The part number on the bearing is a GM N1086. If that helps at all.

Last edited:
I had a tremendous problem with the throw out bearing and I finally took it to the guys at T&S auto in Milton. They're a small shop and do off road stuff. They even rent jeeps to go 4 wheeling...

Anyway, they said that they spent about 5 hours, trying different throwout bearings, ordering new ones, assembling, reassembling etc until they finally found one that works.
The bearing should be a standard Buick size but there are some different offsets. The instructions from AA made NO sense at all to me or them.

I checked the reciept. The part number on the bearing is a GM N1086. If that helps at all.

solution......4.3 t350 d300:awesomework:

solution......4.3 t350 d300:awesomework:

I am pretty sure if dale brought me a stock MB----it would have probably gone this way.....

Ok dale I will see what I can come up with on that part # and in the mean time I am going to start gutting alot of the stuff on the tub...

Also is that a GM part #?

I am pretty sure if dale brought me a stock MB----it would have probably gone this way.....

Ok dale I will see what I can come up with on that part # and in the mean time I am going to start gutting alot of the stuff on the tub...

Also is that a GM part #?

If I'd brought you a stock MB a lot of thing would be different, but I bought this expecting a good rebuilt engine. We didn't expect you to have to tear that apart. However, the 3.8l with probably fits a little better and is more that enough for that size vehicle. If I was starting from scratch it wouldn' have a carb either... but that's what it came with.

It would probably be a TBI 4.3 with a bit of a cam, headers, a manual 4speed and an atlas t-case.

I do believe that it's a GM part number but I cannot be sure. That is the number that was on my bill from them.

Last edited:

I purchased the correct adaptor set from advance adaptors, dang or what it novaks... but the we needed mearsurements for the throwout bearing to get the right one. They gave some instructions that made no sense. Jaydog and I spent a couple hours going over this one day...

If I'd brought you a stock MB a lot of thing would be different, but I bought this expecting a good rebuilt engine. We didn't expect you to have to tear that apart. However, the 3.8l with probably fits a little better and is more that enough for that size vehicle. If I was starting from scratch it wouldn' have a carb either... but that's what it came with.

It would probably be a TBI 4.3 with a bit of a cam, headers, a manual 4speed and an atlas t-case.

I do believe that it's a GM part number but I cannot be sure. That is the number that was on my bill from them.

I call Bs--I know you too well

would have been a blown 383 :redneck:

Original tranny would of been a T-84. Almost identical to the T-90. :corn:

Jaydog has the story on transmission as he bought it form the guy who originally did the tranny change and I think you may be right. Those numbers ring a bell. I still have the original motor sitting in Jaydogs garage... Anyone want to buy it? It ran fine but had a leaky main seal. Figured if we were pulling it, we were upgrading it....