• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

Do you or anyone else know what transmission/transfercase combo came in the 1985 CJ?

It's already mated up and we'd only need the bellhousing to match up to the engine this way.

The T-176 was also available to 1984, and sometimes Jeep slipped things in. Was the shifter in the center of the case (T-176), or at the rear (T-4/T-5, they look identical). Also, the shape at the front is a giveaway, T-176 is a Ford Butterfly, T-4/T-5 are kind of square but wider on the top. A Jeep factory bellhousing was available for both, '80-'81 Iron Duke, requires a 153 tooth flywheel, though.

Glad to see this moving again, I love this build.

lots of choice words, a big thump

gmb137.jpg

Followed by a rope and drug down the street :redneck:

So it was time to finish the lower supports, With the trans and cross member out of the way, these had to be removed. First they are no longer needed and one support is landing there.

gmb138.jpg

What was funny, once the 3 rivets were removed the bracket fell off there was a diamond shaped piece of metal behind the bracket. Now one would think that the rivets also held that on, not so. There were 6 spot welds holding that fawker on. So once that was removed, the area was cleaned and prepped.

gmb139.jpg

Cut some more fish plates and got both sides done and ready for the short portions of tube next

gmb140.jpg

I'd be happy to stop by sometime and haul that "old junk" off for you. Especially if it includes the overdrive. :D

It's for sale. Make me a decent offer. I have all the shifters as well.

Mike, now that you're back at it, I will make arrangements to pull that other transmission and transfer case and get it to you over the next week or two.

Remember, I want to get this thing all linexed before the motor and transmission go in for the last time, and before the wiring/plumbing is done.

Wait a minute?!..:hi: Yer pullin a Scattershield, T-90, D18, OD to install a T-176, T-4 or T-5 (whatever it is)... I can understand wanting to replace the T-90, but the plans at this point look like a losing battle to me? Is the rear end center hung already?....

If it were mine I'd put in a truck 4 speed like an SM420 or 465 and adapt the 18 and OD to it. It'd be much more driver friendly and trail tough..

Just my .02 but the 176,4 or 5 isn't much better than the T-90 if any..

Wait a minute?!..:hi: Yer pullin a Scattershield, T-90, D18, OD to install a T-176, T-4 or T-5 (whatever it is)... I can understand wanting to replace the T-90, but the plans at this point look like a losing battle to me? Is the rear end center hung already?....

If it were mine I'd put in a truck 4 speed like an SM420 or 465 and adapt the 18 and OD to it. It'd be much more driver friendly and trail tough..

Just my .02 but the 176,4 or 5 isn't much better than the T-90 if any..

The rear end is already centered. I'm not too worried about the strength of the T4 or T5. It's a little Willys with 34" tires and a 180hp engine (mabye 200hp). It's not going to blow apart transmissions or transfercases anyway.

The rear end is already centered. I'm not too worried about the strength of the T4 or T5. It's a little Willys with 34" tires and a 180hp engine (mabye 200hp). It's not going to blow apart transmissions or transfercases anyway.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: oh damn :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I'm with Pokey on that...:haha:

Any of those trannies are marginal at best....I've seen grenaded T176's from worn out 258 power on bald 35's.... twice....

kinda painted into a corner though with the centered rear, though one could make the same argument against an offset rear...

Gary built mine offset to run with my D18 and OD. But I can only run the 18... Haven't broken one yet..

SO poking along.

I got the center 2 stringers done, and the underside fully welded up and painted at the frame.

gmb147.jpg

gmb142.jpg

I also got the body mount I removed reinstalled. I ended up just taking the one I removed and cut it down then plug welded it back into place.

gmb143.jpg

God I hate doing sheet metal work,lol. Its not so bad but when going from old stuff where the thickness isn't constant to a constant material--I have always found it hard due to the lack of practice I get doing this type of work.

But in any case I got both sides of the tub at the front of the fender wells capped where I had to remove sheet metal to run the tubing.

gmb144.jpg

gmb145.jpg

gmb146.jpg

So the next thing I wanted to take care of, was the fuel cell/tank. This was something that came with the rig and me and dale had decided it was ok to use (actually not a bad unit) and actually fit the rig pretty well (size wise).

So I sat and looked at the options of how to mount it in the rear of the tub. One thing I did come up with is the fact I did not want it mounted directly on the floor. This was due to two reasons. The first was due crap and stuff building up around and under the tank due to its location. The other was due to the floor, it was kinda wavy and not really strong (2 layers of sheet metal).

So the standoffs for the tank mounts it 2 spots. In the rear I made tabs, which are welded directly to the tub. In this area there is 3/16" material above the sheet metal that sits horizontal but bends and goes vertical to the frame--should work. On the front I hole sawed 2 holes through the floor to the cross member, so the standoffs can rest right on the cross member.

gmb149.jpg

gmb151.jpg

gmb148.jpg

And here is the mount I built for the upper portion of the tank mount.

gmb150.jpg

Here are the standoffs for the tank.

gmb152.jpg

And here they are in place.

gmb153.jpg

There are tabs on the standoffs to keep the tank in place.

And here is the tank down in place.

gmb154.jpg