• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Random Thoughts

Re: Random Thoughts

I try not to be, but you called me out in a personal manner for simply saying "yes" to a simple question.

Also.... ask a simple question, get a simple answer. If he wanted a more elaborate answer, maybe he should have provided his thoughts on the decision and give us a little more up front info.

TacomaJD said:
I try not to be, but you called me out in a personal manner for simply saying "yes" to a simple question.

Also.... ask a simple question, get a simple answer. If he wanted a more elaborate answer, maybe he should have provided his thoughts on the decision and give us a little more up front info.

I just knew I had you caught( because you were still in school) so I phrased my question in an annoying way.

I have no doubt with your relentless nature and usual luck with big decisions, that a degree will serve you well

tonybolton said:
I have an honorary degree in Hateology.

I have done well in my career without a college degree, at time making almost 6 figures. However, I have seen the money I missed out on, because, I hit a plateau by not having that sheep skin.

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

dwa2469 said:
I have done well in my career without a college degree, at time making almost 6 figures. However, I have seen the money I missed out on, because, I hit a plateau by not having that sheep skin.
I'm with you man... It's just something that everyone needs to figure out where they need to go in their life.

I would have liked to have finished out a college and got a certificate of completion but it just wasn't for me and I saw opportunities that I could take advantage of and have a decent life for myself.

Answer is usually no. If you have a clear path to a job on the other side that more than outweighs the expense and time to get there, then yes. If you want to go to school just because you want to go to school as you heard about good jobs blah blah blah, no

TheViking said:
Should I go back to college????

Things I learned in colledge:

The first time:
1. College was awesome but class sucked
2. Chemistry is the devil
3. A human being can live on beer, chicken strips and mozzerella sticks for weeks
4. 8 Hours of sleep a night is overrated and you can survive on multiple 2 hr naps throughout the day.
5. Class was overrated and a C average will get you a diploma and a crappy job (that could eventually turn out to be an awesome job after years of long hours and hard work).

The second time:
1. College with a family and full time job is hard.
2. If you start on the companies dime, you WILL finish or find a new company. They are investing in you and you have no choice but to finish.
3. If a diploma is necessary in your field, a second post graduate diploma is even better
4. College is less about WHAT you learned and more about THAT you learned. To this day, I still very rarely use direct knowledge I gained in the class room, but team the class work with the experience has helped me further my career.

College is by no means a necessity for everyone. For me it probably was because I am not very mechanically inclined so Plumbing, HVAC, Electrician, Mechanic type work is not something I want to do everyday. I wish I could, but it is not my strong suit. I just wouldn't get the idea that when you go to college all of a sudden $100K+ jobs get thrown your way. Have a plan of where you want to end up and make sure college will get you there or you ill just work really hard for a piece of paper in a frame in your closet.

money_pit_yj said:
Have a plan of where you want to end up and make sure college will get you there or you ill just work really hard for a piece of paper in a frame in your closet.

This is honestly one of the main reasons I saw no need to finish, because for me personally, I would have ended up one of the most educated people flipping burgers at the BK. My lack of initiative and low paying major would have limited me greatly... With or without a diploma

Re:

I think a lot of it depends on where you live too, but one thing I know is this...I have been staring at job postings for the past 5 or 6 months because I was extremely worried about losing my current job due to workload taking a ****, as I've mentioned several times on here. Now, I think we are gonna be able to make it through our slow times this year and they are forecasting plenty work for next year. Which is great, but we aren't out of the woods yet. I wouldn't voluntarily leave my job for less money. I don't make a shitload, but I'm at the point where you just about have to have a degree or have a hookup at the local power company or telephone company to make what I do in my area. Of course I could easily get on at Nucor Vulcraft rigging steel joists, but I don't think I could do that job with my leg. Them boys work like borrowed mules to get their production bonuses. I am able to work pretty damn hard for a one legged man, but extreme labor intensive jobs are out for me, and will be even moreso as I get older. So my goal is to be white collar and manage rental properties on the side.

I know one thing, messing with the wife's rental house, I've come to the realization of how hard it is to get a plumber/carpenter/electrician to come fix **** for you in a timely manner and do quality work for a fair price. I had a hookup with an independent guy, 1 man business with the occasional 1 helper, called All Trades Property Maintenance. He was badass. Best HVAC tech around, also an electrician, plumber, and carpenter. He could do anything. He could also damn near write his own paychecks. He said he could stay as busy as he wants to that week. He got down in his back and now works a salary maintenance job. I called him for everything. That's a hell of a niche for a business. If I could learn all that **** and conquer my fear of confined spaces and spiders under houses, I'd love to do something like partner with a good friend of mine and start a business like that.

But it's just easier to work for a large company that has great benefits, paid vacation, retirement, etc. I get 5 weeks paid vacation per yr, good pay (for my area), decent insurance although not as good as it was - thanks Obama..., great 401k company matching plan, $5,250/yr college tuition/book reimbursement, half desk work half physical labor......I aint looking to work harder the older I get, I'd rather work smarter.

Oh, and the job postings I mentioned looking at for months earlier, most require a BS degree. Seemed to me, much more open jobs that pay good that require a degree than not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

TacomaJD said:
I think a lot of it depends on where you live too, but one thing I know is this...I have been staring at job postings for the past 5 or 6 months because I was extremely worried about losing my current job due to workload taking a ****, as I've mentioned several times on here. Now, I think we are gonna be able to make it through our slow times this year and they are forecasting plenty work for next year. Which is great, but we aren't out of the woods yet. I wouldn't voluntarily leave my job for less money. I don't make a shitload, but I'm at the point where you just about have to have a degree or have a hookup at the local power company or telephone company to make what I do in my area. Of course I could easily get on at Nucor Vulcraft rigging steel joists, but I don't think I could do that job with my leg. Them boys work like borrowed mules to get their production bonuses. I am able to work pretty damn hard for a one legged man, but extreme labor intensive jobs are out for me, and will be even moreso as I get older. So my goal is to be white collar and manage rental properties on the side.

I know one thing, messing with the wife's rental house, I've come to the realization of how hard it is to get a plumber/carpenter/electrician to come fix **** for you in a timely manner and do quality work for a fair price. I had a hookup with an independent guy, 1 man business with the occasional 1 helper, called All Trades Property Maintenance. He was badass. Best HVAC tech around, also an electrician, plumber, and carpenter. He could do anything. He could also damn near write his own paychecks. He said he could stay as busy as he wants to that week. He got down in his back and now works a salary maintenance job. I called him for everything. That's a hell of a niche for a business. If I could learn all that **** and conquer my fear of confined spaces and spiders under houses, I'd love to do something like partner with a good friend of mine and start a business like that.

But it's just easier to work for a large company that has great benefits, paid vacation, retirement, etc. I get 5 weeks paid vacation per yr, good pay (for my area), decent insurance although not as good as it was - thanks Obama..., great 401k company matching plan, $5,250/yr college tuition/book reimbursement, half desk work half physical labor......I aint looking to work harder the older I get, I'd rather work smarter.

Oh, and the job postings I mentioned looking at for months earlier, most require a BS degree. Seemed to me, much more open jobs that pay good that require a degree than not.

You are right about that, it seems like 70 % of jobs except (entry level manual labor or retail) require a degree. Most times they don't even care what it's in, as long as you have one

Re:

Right, it's just a proof of competency. Know what really set a fire under my ass to go to school? Losing out on office jobs at work to people with degrees. I don't stand a chance to get them without a degree, even though several in the office now dont have degrees. But as they are replaced, their criteria requires a degree now. I was tired of losinf out over a piece of paper and what comes with it....so I'm gonna have a piece a paper and equalize that ****. Lol

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Right, it's just a proof of competency. Know what really set a fire under my ass to go to school? Losing out on office jobs at work to people with degrees. I don't stand a chance to get them without a degree, even though several in the office now dont have degrees. But as they are replaced, their criteria requires a degree now. I was tired of losinf out over a piece of paper and what comes with it....so I'm gonna have a piece a paper and equalize that ****. Lol

I guess you could say they have a leg up on you. :dunno:

The bottom line every one cant set behind a desk, SOMEONE HAS TO DO THE WORK!!!!!

TRUCNUT said:
The bottom line every one cant set behind a desk, SOMEONE HAS TO DO THE WORK!!!!!

This is true, however, in most cases DOIN THE WORK, does not always pay that well. If you are someone who is capable of more, in most cases, it will require some sort of higher education. If you are going to work for someone else.