• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SXOR single seater build

Today I got the fuel cell mount built. I added a piece of tube between the shock mounts to mount the front of the brackets on.

I made the brackets out of some 1" angle and mounted them to the bolts holding the can together. I used the same rubber I used on the radiator between the brackets and the top of the cell and between the cell and the floor.

I also started working on the interior panels. I'm using 1" thin walled tubing for the framing, and probably will use 1/8" aluminum for the panels. I want to make them all easily removable to make it easier to work on. It's definitely going to be snug inside for a big guy like me, but it's still comfortable.

looks flashemifyougotem!!

Are you planning on skinning the "passenger" side of the interior with Aluminum? Looks like that would cut down on visibility a lot.

Yeah, hopefully it will at least give a small layer of protection between me and the drivetrain if something does go all to hell.

I don't think it will affect the visibility that much, the body skins wouldn't let you see much through that side either.

I just had a couple hours to work on this thing today. I made a couple tabs and got the light bar mounted. It's a 20" flood/spot combo from TrailWorthy Fab. I started to bend up some tube to protect it, but I ran out of time.

Lov'in it!

What's the wheel base at?

Also how wide is the chassis in the bars where the seat and T-case are at?

I'm building a front engine single seater and just trying to compare it to yours. I'm not as far along as you are. :-[

Thanks man! Wheelbase is about 105" and the chassis is just under 41" wide at the seat. I am going to add a 1.5"x.250" wall slider on the bottom of each side so that will add 2-3" per side.

I've been off work this week so I finally got to work on this thing a little bit for the first time in a month. I've had a lot of other stuff to do so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like though.

I cut and moved the tube that was hitting the right front shock when it was flexed out. The joint is slugged with 1.25" tube.

Then I added some reinforcement to the chassis side track bar mount and made it double shear. Before it was just a bolt threaded into a bung in the chassis.

Most of my time this week has been spent redoing my screw ups though. I had to cut all the drivetrain mounts and angle everything toward the drivers side a little more. Luckily I had only tacked everything. I got in too big of a hurry the first time around and didn't leave enough room for the driveshaft. It's still SUPER tight, but I think it will work now. After I got everything relocated I bent up a skid plate for the engine. I tied it into the motor mounts and used tube flanges to make it removable.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a little more done this weekend.

Got a little more done today. I got the passenger side header and "muffler" fitted up. The headers are OBX turbo headers. I cut off the v-band flange and tacked on a 30* bend and Vibrant Performance 3"x5" race muffler. I have a feeling this thing is going to be a bit loud, lol. I added the miter cut on the end just for the heck of it. Also added a bung for the O2 sensor. Everything is 304 stainless and I plan to have it all ceramic coated.

Here you can see what I'm up against on the drivers side. I had to pretty much cut the whole collector off just to get the header bolted up. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'm gonna do here.

After I hit the wall on the exhaust I moved on to finding a place for the oil accumulator. I used some trick tabs with the threaded insert to mount it. I still haven't decided whether or not to run a solenoid valve off the ignition for pre-lubing, or just run it with no valve at all. Any opinions about that?

If your gonna skin it back there cut the bar out and angle it the other way. If not prob have to do other side to match. Cut it out get header on and make something work.

Toddy

Yeah, I wish I would have done that before I cut the header up. Just another learning experience I guess. It may come down to buying another collector and going that route.