• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SXOR single seater build

What are you plans to fix the bar cut out below?

D3AF0B16-74A8-4EE6-846E-9F8AC955C814_zpshjkqunxu.jpg

basic little kick out like lots of single seaters have?

Yeah, if you go back and look at some of the original pics when I first picked this thing up that tube was already cut out to clear the t-case. The Atlas actually sticks out of the chassis about 1"-2". They had actually had a hoop there to protect it. I just cut the tacks and pulled it out to have room to work. You can see in this pic what I'm talking about.

I'll cut out what's left of that tube and clean it up and weld that hoop back in. It will stick out of the side of the chassis just a little bit, and I'll put a skid plate on it to protect the Atlas.

Thanks man!

Spent a couple hours on this thing today. I had a lot of other stuff to do around the house before I go back to work tomorrow so I didn't get a lot done. About all I accomplished was cutting the pieces for the transmission mount and getting it tacked in place. It's pretty similar to the Atlas support mount.

Unfortunately progress is probably about to grind to a halt for a couple weeks. It's shutdown time at work starting Monday, and it will be a minimum of two weeks straight of 12 hr days. Most likely longer than that. Last year I worked 31 days straight. I might be able to accomplish a few things in the evenings if I'm not dead tired, but don't expect miracles.

how tall are you and do you have any pics of you sitting in the buggy in your prp podium seat? curious how much head room you are bona have above the seat

I'm about 5'9" or so. I don't have any pics with me in it. I could sit in the seat and take a selfie though. Lol.

The back of my head hits right in the middle of the headrest, and the top of my head is pretty well even with the top of the seat. I will probably wear a helmet pretty much all the time in this thing just because my head will be so close to the "window" opening. It will also get window nets as well.

Finally got a little time in the shop after work today. I got the protection for the Atlas sticking out of the side chassis tacked in place.

I also got the battery box where I think it's going to go. I debated whether or not to make it bolt in or just weld it. Finally decided to just weld it in. It's just tacked for now in case it needs to move though.

Due to the way the motor sits in the chassis the B-pillar brace had to be cut out. I cut and notched a piece of 1.25" tube and put the brace back in the opposite direction. I'll cut out the rest of the old brace and clean it up when I tear the chassis down.

Then I made a cardboard radiator so I could find a place to fit it. On the down tubes above the engine is pretty much my only choice. It may set a little lower than where I have it in the pics, and I'll also build a removable cage around it for protection. I also ordered the radiator from PRC today. 22"x19" is the biggest I can fit. It will be dual pass with -16 inlet/outlet, a .25" NPT bung for the steam ports, and a blank shroud so I can mount a Volvo fan. I hope that's enough to keep this thing cool.

I also decided to ditch the truck intake in favor of a LS6 intake purely to gain a little room because the truck intake is so tall. I may flip it around backwards as well. I found a used LS6 intake today, it should be here next week. I still need to do a little more reading on what style fuel rail and injectors will work best.

I got a little more done today. I got all the brake lines ran on the axles, I'll do the plumbing on the chassis later. The brake lines are all .25" stainless tubing and braided hoses with swage type compression fittings. I used RuffStuff brake line tabs to mount everything.

After that I cut a fairlead mount out of some flat bar and tacked it in place.

It's certainly not a lot of progress, but it's a couple things to mark off the list.

It's been a really long, really busy month at work. So I haven't had much time to even touch this thing. But at least all the OT has allowed me to order more parts. Over the last few days I've had a little time to work on a few small things.

LS6 intake installed.

New oil pan installed.

Orbital, column, and steering wheel mocked up.

The lighting in that picture is horrible, but you can kinda see the new fuel cell sitting there too. I decided to ditch the RCI cell, and had a custom ATL cell built. It's a 8 gallon cell with an in-tank Bosch 044 pump feeding from a trap door surge tank. It was pricey, but man is it nice.

I also got the Radiator in from PRC. I highly recommend them if you need one built. I ordered it on a Friday afternoon and it was built and shipped by Wednesday. The quality is top notch as well.

Once I got the radiator here I decided I didn't like it mounted over the engine so I decided to put it back down in front of the engine. So far I just have the lower mount mocked up. I split a short piece of 1.75" tube to saddle the 1.5" and welded on a piece of 2" flat bar to support the bottom of the radiator.

I still have to bend some tube to protect the radiator and build the top mount off of.

I also worked on the shifters for the Atlas. With the the standard shifters the levers were almost behind the seat.

I cut the levers off short and used a couple short pieces of 1/2" sch. 80 pipe as a sleeve for the new lever.

I bent and threaded a couple pieces of 1/2" for the new levers, and added the pistol grip handles just because.

New shifters installed. They're easy to reach now, and I think the extra leverage will make the Atlas easier to shift.

I know this is a pretty boring update, but I hope to get some more stuff knocked out this weekend and next week.

Today I worked on the radiator protection/top mount. This was my first time ever bending tube. So it was slow going. No better time to learn than in the middle of a build I guess. Lol. Love the RogueFab bender so far though.

I just bent a simple hoop to protect the top of the radiator and added tube flanges so it can be removed to pull the motor.

Made the plate to clamp the top of the radiator from some 2" flat bar and some shock tabs I had here in the shop.

I had to make a couple tabs to attach the top plate to the tube.

Finally finished.

The radiator is isolated with 1/8" silicone rubber between the top and bottom mounts, but it's still a little loose. I need to find something a little thicker that will still compress and hold it tighter. Any suggestions?

Look good man! I can't wait to see this thing wrapped up!

Sent from my cellular device.

Great rig! Dude that lived around Bham had an SXOR chassis that he raced in some events. Not sure what he ever did with it

Thanks man! I appreciate it. I'm just a hack compared to most guys on this forum but I'm trying not to screw this up.

I've been in love with SXOR chassis ever since I saw the photo shoot for Randy's with the smokin hot redhead. Maybe it was mostly the redhead though. Lol.