• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ATTN: PETER

blahbyfblows.jpg

Jeep CJ said:
I am sorry but for some reason when most guys say they need help 90% of the time the excuse is I don't have a welder. You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and you can be set up with a Lincoln 115 Volt wire welder for approx $500.00. (That is including Helmet, Gloves, Welder, Wire, Renting Argon tank and all) You can weld up to 1/4" OK with this setup. (May be better welder for the money this is just what I have)To start out you will also need a decent 4" grinder (Dewalt, Makita etc) for $100.00 or less. In my opinion Harbor Freight **** is a waste of money in this area. If you do not have a torch get a sawzall $80.00. This is not the best setup but it will get you by till you figure out if you can do this or not. For $700.00 you will be able to do a good bit of fabrication. I am on a budget just like most people and it may take a month or two to be able to afford the above items but you have to start somewhere. Also remember the above items you will use on a regular basis if you wheel. That is just the way it is. If you buy the above items and you are not able to get the art of welding down you can always sell the items and get most of your money back.
If you do not know how to weld find you a fab shop and stop by and they will probably give you a few pieces of scrap or at least sell it to you real cheap. Welding with a wire welder is not that hard if you take your time and practice and you will figure it out.I have learned how to weld from practice and listening to people when they talk. (If it is a cage or something protecting your life then let someone you trust do the welding)

If you do not want to do it this way get all your stuff fabbed up so it is just welding that needs to be done then ask for some help on just welding.

I have met some of the guys on hear and some I have not but they are a great group of guys and they have a ton of knowledge. You make an honest effort and they will help push you to get it done.

I am no pro at welding but I can usually do a decent job to get myself by.

OR you can do what i did and make your own welder by using a chevy alternater. It will weld up to 1/4 inch and will burn a 3/32 rod @ about 22 to 2300 RPM. You just have to figure out how to mount the extra aternater to you ride.I also had to have air so we took the exsisting A/C compressor and plumb it to make a air compressor so I could run my air tools . Note I am no welder by trade but it will get you out of a bind till you can afford a real one. As for as the air compressor you might have to let it catch up alittle but it will work.

my .02, maybe you should stop begin for someone to do it for you, and start asking for advice. I think it's hard to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

jeep46 said:
my .02, maybe you should stop begin for someone to do it for you, and start asking for advice. I think it's hard to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

Asked for both, but I don't need it anymore....

As for helping one's self, well, I am willing to do work and I have the hydraulic stuff figured out for the most part, but no place to get the work done.

I am sorry I ever asked anyone at this point....

I am not sure what I am going to do with this thing, but it may end up getting scrapped because I can't take it with me to Mobile with it not running.

Peter said:
Asked for both, but I don't need it anymore....

As for helping one's self, well, I am willing to do work and I have the hydraulic stuff figured out for the most part, but no place to get the work done.

I am sorry I ever asked anyone at this point....

I am not sure what I am going to do with this thing, but it may end up getting scrapped because I can't take it with me to Mobile with it not running.

With the money your saving by my unwillingness to work on it, go buy a welder and , watch the instructional video that comes with it, weld your ram mounts up, mount your ram, bleed the system, and then the steering is in place.

And then youll find all the reasons I dont wanna mess with it and just how far from " movable " it really is.

OR>.. youll prove me wrong and your **** will be ready to drive in like an hour....Plus youll own a welder ( which god only knows why anyone trying to build a rig wouldnt own one.... ) and you can begin perfecting your technique and we can see your sweet welds like the triple pass welding picture posts you posted on CAOS a few years back...

Its amazing when you apply yourself just how things can come together thumb.gif

Quit whinin on the interweb and go work on the damn thing... Hell it would be done by now.