• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dad's stang...

the filler panel is on, I removed the headliner and then primed and undercoated the left wheel well, and replaced the left front shock cover, gonna head over again tomorrow to work on it some more

I have had a full shop of rigs but been poking on stuff to get ready for the car to come back.
I finally got both front seats completed and ready!
dad310.jpg

dad311.jpg

I still have to get the bumpers stripped to get the brackets to my brother so he can media blast them. I still have to get the rear inner quarter covers painted and a few things prepped.
They also found some rust in the upper area of rear window so the decision was made to rip the head liner out and my dad ordered a new one. I talked with him about it and told him my worries about me doing it--mainly because my lack of experiance doing one and I was afraid it would not look good. So I told him thats one thing we might want put back in. My dad said "I bet you can do it"..

So I am down to the last couple items to be prepped for the car and been bouncing between life stuff and the flatty. So I spent the last couple days getting the last items done.

So Don and Ct pulled the headliner and Don dropped it off. So I figured I would get the bows for it cleaned up and put into the new headliner so it can get nice and flat.

I started by just cutting the bows out of the headliner. I found a bunch of rust on them and they were actually kinda rusted to the loops of the headliner. I sat there and cleaned every inch of all 4 of them. from my experiance with the seats and trying to get the wire loops pulled thru the loop material I found having a smooth finish helps a TON.

dad312.jpg

I got a nice coat of paint on them and hanging to dry.

dad313.jpg

Don had taken the metal inner quarter covers to work and blasted them a while back. I was wanting to get them done allot sooner so the paint could harden more but it just didn't work out. So I finally got them prepped and painted and they turned out nicely. Odd working with metal that has a texture to it when painting.

dad314.jpg

For the upper seal that seals the top of the window to the body there are metal guide/bracket assembly that are screwed to the body and the seal is glued into it. They were pretty rough and had paint on them not only from the factory but the other paint jobs after that. So I had to not only get that off but the glue down in the assembly. It took a few hours to get them cleaned up but I still have to spend a little time reworking them back into perfect shape (metal dimpled where the screws are and some of the outer edged of them are bent). But I should be able to make them as good as new.

dad315.jpg

So the last task to get done today was getting the brackets off the bumpers so I can have Don blast them. Man these things are ROUGH..

dad316.jpg

The bumper bolts (carriage bolt) are BADLY rusted. I didn't even bother trying to unbolt them and just took the plasma and blew the heads off,lol.

dad317.jpg

yea gotta learn sometime right, if your lookin for anything else i know a guy with to strait 6 stangs laying around

mike when i did my mustang it was cheaper to buy new bumpers from FOMOCO than refurbishing in any form. they were pretty reasonable and look NEW:D

makes me want to go sit in mine and remember the good ol days....

mike when i did my mustang it was cheaper to buy new bumpers from FOMOCO than refurbishing in any form. they were pretty reasonable and look NEW:D

makes me want to go sit in mine and remember the good ol days....

I have new bumpers in my many boxes :D Just gotta get the brckets cleaned up....

Update:

So things are moving along nicely and it should be ready to come back to me next week.

But the jambs are all painted---the color really turned out sweet..

dad318.jpg

Hood, truck lid, fenders and doors installed and final fitment in readyness for final paint.

dad319.jpg

Under the hood.

dad320.jpg

dad321.jpg

So before we can get it fully painted CT wants all the glass back in it. Don has gotten the door glass back in.

So before we can get the windshield and rear glass in we gotta get the headliner in. So thursday eve me and don got it in and stretched out to sit till saturday night while we got other stuff done. Its certaily going to be tricky to get it just right at the rear quarters.

dad326.jpg

dad327.jpg

dad328.jpg

dad329.jpg

dad330.jpg

So its getting REALLY close now.

I don't envy you guys doing that headlind. Fords of that generation are a pita to get right. Took 2 trips to the upolstery shop to steam the headliner in the old mans Fairlane so it would stay put:mad:.

So early this morning I headed back to CT's along with Don.

I spent a better part of the day working on the headliner because that has to go in before the front/rear windows can.

I worked and worked at it. One trick I found was cut small pieces of windlace so I could pull it and have it sit in place. Started with front/back and then worked the side to side. Did this back and forth a number of times and ended up with a "decent" outcome. Its not 100% done yet.

dad331.jpg

dad332.jpg

dad333.jpg