• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beer

**** INBEV beer, any damn one of em.

Made a couple all grain batches the past 2 weekends, hope they turn out ok. Almost done with a fantastic Belgian Dubbel my wife got me for Christmas. It'll put hair on yer :tc

Bones said:
**** INBEV beer, any damn one of em.

Made a couple all grain batches the past 2 weekends, hope they turn out ok. Almost done with a fantastic Belgian Dubbel my wife got me for Christmas. It'll put hair on yer :tc

Had much better results with all grain so far, hoping this brown ale is good!

Good to hear Matt. I enjoy it a lot more, but my gravity #'s are coming in low on both batches so I need to determine that. I am not brewing until theses two are kegged and see how happy I am with em.

I have just had better luck putting out a quality product. I did an Amber clone of a beer I really like with extract and I did not like it. I did the same with All Grain and loved it.

race_jeep said:
Everybody says all grain is so much better, but I'm not unhappy with my current beers, what's so much different?
More time (which I have plenty of)
More freedom in recipes (I have yet to buy a "kit")
Once I get to know more people in the hobby I am hoping to get deals on bulk grains/hops and learn how to carry yeast strains to avoid that cost each brew session. Right now since we have ONE place to buy grains it's a wash over buying an extract kit which is why I want to buy bulk in grains that are used in beers I like and then just pick up a pound or two of the special grains. Same with hops

It's like any hobby, go balls deep if you desire. I have maybe $75 more into all grain at this point, everything else I already had.

$23 48Qt cooler (mash tun) with tubing pushed through the drain and a valve.
i-K9Ttq87-L.jpg

i-cmF6hD5-L.jpg

Stainless toilet supply line with interior hose removed is my false bottom
i-XLFLGtT-L.jpg

I just do beer in a bag on my stove. Not really any extra cost save the grain bag and a big ass pot if you didn't already have them. Most breweries use all grain, so it is closer to the real deal I guess. Flavors seem to be better.

We have an electric stove so I am "forced" into the garage and use a turkey fryer. I do extract and will continue to do extract indoors and over the winter months.

All you homebrewers make me jealous. At times I wish I didn't live so far away from good pubs/brewhouses, but then again, I'd probably be broke all the time if I didn't :****:. Chattanooga, TN and Huntsville, AL are both about an hour from me and both locations are home to several great pubs, restaurants, and brewhouses that have some awesome craft beer selections. And both cities are also the nearest place that has liqour stores with tap walls and large craft beer selection. There's 1 or 2 liqour stores within a 15-25 minute drive that have a handful of good beers, but not wide enough variety to suit me lol. I wouldn't know what to think if I could just stop somewhere on the way home from work and pick up a 6 pack of Monkeynaut!

Me and several of my friends are going to a concert in Chattanooga, TN at Track 29 (downtown near all the pubs and whatnot). Gonna kick off the night and pregame and The Terminal Brewhouse for good grub and some of their tasty house brews. Big River Grill downtown also has some awesome house brews in Chatty.

....damn I'm thirsty drool drool drool

I believe I tried a 60 min IPA before. I have some friends who just about only drink IPA's and I think he gave me one one night.

I downloaded that Untappd app, gonna play around with it some more later on. Matt O. are you Matt O. from Middle Tennessee on that app? I don't want to sync it with my Facebook, drinking of the devil's juice is severely frowned upon by most here in the small town judgemental bible belt I live in....so I try to keep my alcoholism confined to Hardline mostly molaugh

Matt O. said:
I just do beer in a bag on my stove. Not really any extra cost save the grain bag and a big ass pot if you didn't already have them. Most breweries use all grain, so it is closer to the real deal I guess. Flavors seem to be better.
so you just do grains in a pot with no malt extract?

My username on untappd is MasonB_86, I also like the brewgene app.

race_jeep said:
so you just do grains in a pot with no malt extract?

My username on untappd is MasonB_86, I also like the brewgene app.
Yup, all grain = no extract :flipoff1: I can't imagine doing that much grain on your stove unless Matt is doing partial boils, getting a high gravity # then diluting it like you would extract. I would LOVE to try this method once I get more gravity out of my grains to up my grain bill and get higher #'s and dilute it to make 10 gallon batches without needing huge pots and massive burners.

Hmmmmm

Re: Re: Beer

Bumpers said:
I just stick to budwieser :afro:

if im posting im bored
Whatever floats your boat is fine by me, but you might want to read up on INBEV and see just how unamerican your beer really is. This article sealed the deal for me to make an effort to avoid the 200+ brands owned by them. I don't always succeed since it's simply too damn many to remember. There needs to be an app for that laughing1

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

race_jeep said:

That is the instructions I followed. The key is the right sized pots for your batches. I have a 6 gallon pot that is perfect for the mash, because there is no headspace at all. This maintains your mash temp. I think move over to a 34 quart pot for the boil. I am making 5 gallon batches because I don't have a keg setup. It is pretty much money for what I am doing. Takes longer, but worth it IMO. I am still learning though, just did my fourth brew.

I am Matt Overton on untappd.